Leaky T-Bar - I know, I know!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tmwsccsh

Leaky T-Bar - I know, I know!

Post by tmwsccsh »

Hi all,

I know this has been covered many times but I'm currently at a bit of a loss.

I have so far tried...

- Cling film and Silicone Sealant
- Rubber Rejuvenator
- Eccentric Rod Guides

... yet still the drivers side leaks - quite badly in heavy rain. I did also spot that the drain holes were blocked and cleared them out but still I have an ingress...

The roof panel currently sits a bit too high I think and I can push it down further when the locking pins are not in place.

Can anyone give any other pointers as to how I can stop water getting in - buy a fixed roof is not the answer :)

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW
craig

Re: Leaky T-Bar - I know, I know!

Post by craig »

There is only one answer. New roof/door seals.

It's a 4 piece kit. Only way to stop leaks after trying all the 'interim' methods.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

you can move the car body mounting brackets further into the cabin by using washers on the screws. That'll help take up some space, might be enough to stop the leaks and costs less than a tenner.
benjo

Post by benjo »

Roof and door seal,tried and tested :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

craig wrote:There is only one answer. New roof/door seals.

It's a 4 piece kit. Only way to stop leaks after trying all the 'interim' methods.

Agreed, this is just the way it is, if you are looking for a cheap fix you have the wrong hobby, sorry if sounding harsh but that's just the way it is :wink:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Where are you ?

Its worth trying a different roof panel ,as you said yours doesn't look to be fitting very well ,so i would try and adjust that first ,

Also theres 2 lots of the eccentric guides ,one for the car body and another for the roof section, worth trying both ,

otherwise its a replacement seal job
mr2 ben sells them @ £289.98, then theres the rubbers on the glass that may need doing as well
tmwsccsh

Post by tmwsccsh »

Hi,

I'm in north Hertfordshire.

With regards to the car body rod guides, I wasn't aware there was one for that. Can you provide any more info on that?

Regards

TMW
tmwsccsh

Post by tmwsccsh »

raptor95GTS wrote:you can move the car body mounting brackets further into the cabin by using washers on the screws. That'll help take up some space, might be enough to stop the leaks and costs less than a tenner.

Hi Raptor95GTS.

Where are you referring to with the mounting brackets?

Regards

TMW
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

tmwsccsh wrote:Hi,

I'm in north Hertfordshire.

With regards to the car body rod guides, I wasn't aware there was one for that. Can you provide any more info on that?

Regards

TMW

These are the ones that fit to the A and B pillar of the car ,and a lot easier to do

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/jimi/mk2tbarleaks/DSC_4900.jpg

(63284-17030)

From your local Toyota dealer ,not sure if mr2 ben does them as well

http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info ... cts_id=493

http://www.trdshop.com/oe-toyota/6328417030

I asked where you were because i have a few spare panels that could have been tried

You can see the mounting brackets on here ,i believe others have placed washers on these bolts to move the rubbers slightly out making a tighter seal , Might not be what Raptor95GTS is referring to though ?,but again worth a try

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=168
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

BLZ-8027 - spot on. tmwsccsh - I've linked to one of the pics in the rubber renew guide. You can see the body mounts in the pic, basically take the mounts off,

and then slide the washers over the bolts then slip the mount back on

Obviously new seals are a proper fix but they also cost a proper amount too whereas machine washers are pretty danged cheap. there are two body mounts per side so it's pretty quick to add the washers. if that doesn't work, new seals as you've tried everything else .......
benjo

Post by benjo »

I did rod guide kit and tried other things, only thing that completely fix it
Was new seals all way round,I reckon Toyota spent time designing
The roof,these are old cars and old car cost brass lol
tmwsccsh

Post by tmwsccsh »

Hi all,

I think I am going to give the A and B pillar rod guide replacement a go first - that seems like it could be a cost-effective way to do it as I know there is some more pull-down there.

raptor95GTS, a question if I may. I had a look at the link on the rubber replacement and the pictures you provided but I can't see from them how the actual rod guide plastic comes out - do you do it with the cover in or does it need to be pulled back, as in your first picture above? It's not quite clear.

Have also dropped MR2Ben an email to see if he has them or not - there is a part that looks right on his website but no Toyota part number given to confirm if it's a match or not.

Here's hoping all is fine and it resolves it!

Thanks to all for the responses so far.

TMW
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

tmwsccsh - the plastic rod guide is part of the metal mount as shown in the first pic I linked. I cannot remember if the you can pop the rod guide out without removing the trim as the last time I looked in there was quite a few years ago. It'll be pretty obvious when you look at it but as the guide says don't drop those mounting bolts as they'll be lost forever behind the trim!
benjo

Post by benjo »

It just pulls out bit stiff
Hope this helps
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=27
tmwsccsh

Post by tmwsccsh »

raptor95GTS wrote:tmwsccsh - the plastic rod guide is part of the metal mount as shown in the first pic I linked. I cannot remember if the you can pop the rod guide out without removing the trim as the last time I looked in there was quite a few years ago. It'll be pretty obvious when you look at it but as the guide says don't drop those mounting bolts as they'll be lost forever behind the trim!

Hi,

Looking again at the photos, it does appear that the trim needs to come off first - will investigate.

Still waiting for a reply from MR2Ben before ordering...

TMW
tmwsccsh

Post by tmwsccsh »

benjo wrote:It just pulls out bit stiff
Hope this helps

Thanks, however the link relates to the panels - I have already done those - it's the A and B pillars I am looking to do this time.

TMW
benjo

Post by benjo »

Don't need to take trim of they just pull out
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

I've got drivers side rubber roof and door seals that are only 2 years old, got them brand new from Toyota for like £200 or whatever it is. Sorted my very leaky T-bar.

I'm now breaking the car so you're welcome to take them, just make me an offer.
JD

Post by JD »

Someone ought to make moulds for these. There's enough demand, and Toyota's prices are very high for a few bits of rubber.
tmwsccsh

Post by tmwsccsh »

benjo wrote:Don't need to take trim of they just pull out

Hi - thanks for confirming - job for the weekend then assuming the new guides have arrived by then.

Regards

Tim Watts

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”