Wont start!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

robbie_742003

Wont start!

Post by robbie_742003 »

Morning all and Happy New Year!
Not so happy here, just gone out to start the car and it wont start, its turning over and I can smell fuel.
Never had any such problems before except its a bit temperamental if its rained heavy and it was running fine yesterday??

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Rob
androo007

Re: Wont start!

Post by androo007 »

Battery?
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Most likely water ingress as you say, dripping onto an HT lead or the distributor. When I have this issue it usually starts though but just runs a bit rough for a while :-k

You could try jumping it off another battery - maybe giving the battery a little help might get it started especially as it's turned colder.

Could be a dodgy ground connection somewhere, but as it ran fine yesterday I don't think that'll be the culprit.

I suspect the next thing to do would be to check for error codes: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=162
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Are you getting a spark?
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

Thanks for the speedy replies guys, im still stuck though.
HT leads are 2 months old, rotor arm and dizzy cap( both new) were bone dry (put a rubber seal in when replaced too).
I had the ignitor and coil out for inspection a few months ago, coil is good with no cracks etc.
Checked the 3 blade fuses in engine bay, all good, are there any other fuses I should check?
The fuel I can smell I assume is coming from the exhaust. As I say, its a daily runner and was running fine yesterday, battery is charging now.
If its been raining heavy sometimes it struggles to start but soon clears up when warm, but its not even sounding like its gonna go, it just turns and turns.
Did check for codes but just flashing constantly so no issues there.

:(
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

sheppy wrote:Are you getting a spark?

This, it will go along way to diagnosing the fault if you can check to see if there is a spark :thumleft:
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

Martin F wrote:
sheppy wrote:Are you getting a spark?

This, it will go along way to diagnosing the fault if you can check to see if there is a spark :thumleft:

I'd had no one to crank it for me to check today and by the time the wife got back, it was dark and raining so im gonna check for a spark tomorrow.
Out of interest, once I've checked the leads, can the coil be tested on the car?
Just seems really weird it was fine yesterday.
Your old Blueflame still sounds good Martin :thumleft:

Rob
Billybaggins

Post by Billybaggins »

I had the same problem and replaced my coil. I didn't test it as I'm no good with the multimeter.

My coil had no cracks or damage at all. Starts up fine now and running smooth. I bought an NGK coil for £30 delivered
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

sounds strange but take your dizzy cap off and check the rotor arm as i had this same issue and the rotor arm had smashed to peices and wouldnt start.

Kind regards
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

No spark, checked dizzy cap, plugs, leads, coil, igniter, swapped ecu, swapped dizzy.
Still no good, starting to lose my rag with it.
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

did you take the dizzy of if so check the king lead for spark earth the lead on the inlet somewhere should be able a 1/2 inch spark line, be careful doing it though haha!

after that check each ht lead inside where the spark plug is make sure theres no oil leaks, dont bother checking each spark plug as in theory an engine can run on 1 cylinder.

cheak your fuses in the frunk and bonnet think there 7.5 amp fuses and at the front i think theres a 10 amp 1?
caldridge7

Post by caldridge7 »

i forgot to add when testing the king lead, use a screwdriver and tape the end and the screwdriver together and place it on the throttle body somewhere and just crank and see if there is a spark, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
paulharry

Post by paulharry »

I had the same problem
The car was running fine one night and it was raining hard,the next morning it wouldn't start
I checked the spark and there wasn't one
I checked the dizzy,coil,ht leads,ignitor,changed ecu,but still no spark
I then had a auto electrician look at it but he was left scratching his head as well
To cut a long story short I changed the engine wireing loom for a used one and the the car fired up first time :D 8)
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

Hi all, it turned out to be a broken wire behind the passenger seat and failing coil. Finally sorted :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”