Looking for views on gauges

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryanaj79

Looking for views on gauges

Post by ryanaj79 »

hey folks, I know theres been other threads about gauges, but just looking for other views on what I'm thinkin of doing.

My 2 came with an original Defi MK1 module and boost gauge, shown in pic below, however the original owner placed these on passenger side and top of dash. Have most likely been on since around 1998-99 as they were discontinued not long after.

I've acquired 3 more original gauges that are the same as the boost one, water temp, oil temp and oil pressure.
Now I've thought about where to place these, ideally I want the 3 ive bought above middle dash, and move the boost gauge to right of steering wheel,

I looked at gettin another set of dash panels and adding them in where the vents are, (as others have done) only prob is they 60mm and I like using the vents, especially in summer for air con :)

Only problem is I would need to try an remove the adhesive used for the original gauge and module (as I was gonna put module in the glove box), and they are on solid,
and dont want to damage the dash removing them, as I know they would leave marks. So I was thinking of just adding the other pods straight to the dash tops, shown
Image Image

I'd read about the guage pods above dash and piller pods that mr2eddy made, they do look good and would prefere them, but dont know if he still does them.

Has anyone removed a pod adhesive from a dash successfully before?
Draven

Re: Looking for views on gauges

Post by Draven »

You can find the gauge pods in the forsale section quite often if you're patient.

I don't believe anyone makes them any more though.
craig

Post by craig »

This is mine:

It's a Blitz dash mount 3x60mm pod, fitted with 52mm reducer rings for the 52mm gauges.

They come up from time to time. Might want to give MR2eddy on here a shout, as he used to do copies of them. :thumleft:
ryanaj79

Post by ryanaj79 »

aye, ive been having a good look thru and alot of google searches, but I'm late to the MR2 scene lol, so missed out on a lot.
And dont want to wait many months for a 2nd hand centre dash one to appear.

also the only piller pods ive seen are for T-bar mr2s (one in link), not seen any for tintops? tho this one is a bit pricey?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-MK ... Swv0tVR3Zi

If I couldnt find any pods then I was seriously thinking about the vents in the dash, (tho I'd find another set of panels to butcher, as dont want to ruin any original parts)
but like I mentioned, I like the vents for air con, and Id be left with trying to remove the adhesive from where the boost gauge is atm :(
ryanaj79

Post by ryanaj79 »

RedMR² wrote:This is mine:

It's a Blitz dash mount 3x60mm pod, fitted with 52mm reducer rings for the 52mm gauges.

They come up from time to time. Might want to give MR2eddy on here a shout, as he used to do copies of them. :thumleft:

Aye, thats the type I'd like, will find mr2 eddy and send him a message. Blitz and Greddy dont make them any more do they from what ive seen?
Last edited by ryanaj79 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
craig

Post by craig »

I've also got a twin 52mm on the a pillar. Got it from speedhut in the us. I think they still make them. Cost about £50 inc del if memory serves. :thumleft:
ryanaj79

Post by ryanaj79 »

I've seen the twin pillar pods from them, seen some on ebay too, cant find any single ones tho. Did you have to glue the 3 pod unit onto the dash?

Will keep looking tho for pods, might have to get a twin one and chop it haha

saw this on ebay, not the best, but could chop it, as its a 60mm one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Mr2-Mk ... SwbdpWaVF6

wouldnt screw it in place, but once again, means using adhesive?
craig

Post by craig »

ryanaj79 wrote:I've seen the twin pillar pods from them, seen some on ebay too, cant find any single ones tho. Did you have to glue the 3 pod unit onto the dash?

Will keep looking tho for pods, might have to get a twin one and chop it haha

saw this on ebay, not the best, but could chop it, as its a 60mm one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Mr2-Mk ... SwbdpWaVF6

wouldnt screw it in place, but once again, means using adhesive?

Mine isn't glued. I wanted it permanent. Glue is messy. Mine is bolted to the dash board undeneath the pod, so no fixings are visible. Just looks sat on the dash. An additional hole for a mini wiring loom that was made. No wiring is visible either. :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

RedMR² wrote:This is mine:

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/Re ... dfwgu5.jpg

This is the one, still available in japan last time I checked. Border also make a twin gauge pod that mounts either side of the standard clocks

http://www.rhdjapan.com/border-tri-eye- ... panel.html

http://www.rhdjapan.com/border-dual-met ... -sw20.html
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

shinny

Post by shinny »

Very poor photo, but here's my 5 Defi gauges, plus digital AFR gague built into a matching 60mm housing...

In my experience, I find it easier to glance at pillar pods than the dash pods.

The pillar pod is for gasses: EGT, Boost, AFR
The dash pod is for liquids: Water temp, oil temp, oil pressure

I've replaced the stock boost gauge with a stock battery gauge.

My dash pod is a genuine hyperrev pod and the pillar pod is an MR2Eddy creation. Both are excellent.

This is the dash pod:

This is the pillar pod (before I got the dash pod and extra gauges and modded the Defis to be "bluer"):

ryanaj79

Post by ryanaj79 »

awesome :thumleft:
I've seen your pics on another thread shinney, would love that look,
only prob is my defi's have a green back light, so changing the dash backlights to match,
I also messaged mr2eddy an he still does them too, so ive got some options,

suppose Im being fussy, but not wanting to affect the cars value, so which would be best option?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I've got 3 52mm gauges crammed in an omori single din mount below my headunit.

It barely fits, but I prefer it to drilling holes into the dash or pillar mounted gauges.

I should learn how to fiberglass and just make a new version of that hks glovebox gauge mount.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

This is my set up

Greddy profec on the steering column, aem uego in the vent and a Greddy multi D/A in the corner of the dash

The multi D/A does boost, oil temp and pressure, water temp and battery voltage, has peak recall and warning settings on all readings, backlight colour can be changed (7 different colours) as can the warning sound etc. it'll do EGT and fuel pressure too but I haven't bought the sensors for that (yet)

It wasn't cheap (£500ish if I remember right) but still cheaper than a set of defi to get the same info, and personally I don't like A pillar pods - they're too intrusive and distracting for me.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

http://www.rhdjapan.com/apexi-din-gauge ... meter.html

I like these too, they look good integrated into a double din stereo hole
shinny

Post by shinny »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:http://www.rhdjapan.com/apexi-din-gauge ... meter.html

I like these too, they look good integrated into a double din stereo hole

Oooh, now they're cool! :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Oh man, id be tempted to get that if I could find a place for my wideband!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”