Do aftermarket or universal cats for turbo models exist? Help!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mr2Owner

Do aftermarket or universal cats for turbo models exist? Help!

Post by Mr2Owner »

I need some advice on Cats for these cars. I'm trying to get my 1994 Mr2 turbo through an emissions test in Ireland so it needs a cat. It's proving hard to get a decent 2nd hand unit. The couple ive found for sale both have the honey comb element loose inside and not fixed solid to the side as I believe it should be.

What are my options regards putting some sort of aftermarket or universal cat into the exhaust. The car currently has aftermarket back boxes fitted which I want to leave in place. Will there be enough room to weld in a universal cat on these short exhaust systems?

Or are there aftermarket down pipes available with cats built into them?

I'm googling and searching the net for aftermarket cats and all I can seem to find are normal horizontal cats for Non Turbo cars.

Could do with some advice here, maybe some of ye lads have had to do something similar? :?: :?:
C35Rob

Re: Do aftermarket or universal cats for turbo models exist? Help!

Post by C35Rob »

The only 'off the shelf' aftermarket downpipe (that I know of) with a cat was/is made by SARD, theyre mega expensive.

Your other option, if you have an aftermarket downpipe is to get a universal sports cat welded into it.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Mr2Owner

Post by Mr2Owner »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:The only 'off the shelf' aftermarket downpipe (that I know of) with a cat was/is made by SARD, theyre mega expensive.

Your other option, if you have an aftermarket downpipe is to get a universal sports cat welded into it.

Cheers for the info, I'll run with your 2nd option for the minute.
Can you link me to an example of a aftermarket downpipe and to a universal sports cat that could be welded into it. I'm not sure what i'm looking for. Can a universal cat be welded into any aftermarket downpipe I get?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

GTSchris sells berk downpipes @ £175-ish

3" short sports cat - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-76mm-Magnaf ... SweW5VCGbD
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Mr2Owner

Post by Mr2Owner »

That looks like it could be a good option, so any sports cat should do once its the same diameter to fit my exhaust sections, etc...

I googled GtsChris and it seems that company/website is gone out of business now? Can the Berk downpipe still be bought?
gtschris.com/
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/garage.php ... _id=19770.

I already had the down pipe. It cost £180 for the sports cat and to have it welded in. No problems with emissions now.
Mr2Owner

Post by Mr2Owner »

[quote="I already had the down pipe. It cost £180 for the sports cat and to have it welded in. No problems with emissions now.[/quote]

That looks a good solution, is that the Berk downpipe? And was the flexi part cut out so the sports cat could be welded in? Did you have any issues with no flexi?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I know someone who has a turbo cat they need rid of. Will point them your way. No idea what the postage would be like to Ireland on something the size / weight of a cat though!
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

I have a very good used standard one. Never had any issues passing Mot's. Only removed a few months ago. You'd need to arrange your own courier though.
tubby_tony

Post by tubby_tony »

I bought the downpipe off GTS Chris but I know it is not a Berk as it did not have the flex and I dont think Berk were around then. This was probably back in 2005. I had the CAT fitted 2 years ago. I have never had any issues with the solid downpipe as I have the bracing bracket that mounts between the base of the down pipe and the engine block.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

I have a perfect rev3 standard CAT if your interested. Cant imagine postage would be that bad.
tehdub

Post by tehdub »

As you've mentioned you are in Ireland I assume the pre 95 rule doesn't apply? Only ask as some MOT places and some folks aren't aware of this.

Also are you failing emissions or do you need a type approved cat? If either is true you are screwed, as a sports cat is unlikely to change your emissions, and a type approved cat will be impossible to get as a weld in job. I believe You'd only need a type approved CAT if you fail emissions and the vehicle was registered after 2001. Imported vehicles are not exempt from this, unless they are pre 95. This is slightly crazy, but my understanding of the regs. Over here, you don't have to have a CAT, you just need to pass emissions, but if registered after 2001, will go through extended emissions testing which includes a check for a type approved cat.

If none of the above applies, and you just need a cat, any cat in place, I'd have one welded to a centre pipe personally, so can take it off easier after the MOT. I def wouldn't cut a berk pipe.

I have no idea how they'd tell if had a cat fitted in the d/p anyway. If you have a mappable ecu, maybe you could get it tuned to pass emissions?

Rambling a bit, but just trying to help.
Last edited by tehdub on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr2Owner

Post by Mr2Owner »

tehdub wrote:As you've mentioned you are in Ireland I assume the pre 95 rule doesn't apply? Only ask as some MOT places and some folks aren't aware of this.

Yeah, unfortunately that rule doesn't apply over here. I've managed to find a 2nd hand cat that seems in good condition and am going to fit that and see how it gets on with the emissions.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”