Mk2 2gr supercharged

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: Mk2 2gr supercharged

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Alloy rad... nothing wrong with my old one, just for bling reasons.

Also spotted a brand new starter motor on Ebay for a tenner, the engine i am using is new and the gearbox is extremely low mileage, so might as well keep using new stuff, again purely cosmetic.

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

So my EB60 finally arrived from the US, so i wasted no time stripping it and installing the longer Camry 6th gear set.

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Lots of progress today, i had to design and make a whole new gear shift linkage assembly, normally the EB60 would be controlled from the opposite end of the gearbox, and it is further complicated by having two separate shafts. I dipped into the Toyota parts bin for everything, modified a lot of it and came up with a very OEM looking solution. The linkage had to adapt onto stock Mk2 cables, navigate the starter motor and reverse the direction of operation onto both the gate and selector shafts, not an easy thing to do.

The end result is beautiful though, two 90* pivot arms (taken from Celica C60 transmissions) stacked one on top of the other, allow the cables to remotely operate both selectors reversely, so a push on a cable at the stick end results in a pull action at the gearbox, the pivot arms are all the same length so there is no increase or reduction in throw on either cable. The gear selector droplinks are Mk3 Mr2 ones that have been extended to length.

Pretty happy with it.

So with the gearbox mods complete i fitted the ACT clutch plate (special 23 spline one for the Scion TC) and the awesome Helix autosport pressure plate, the perfect combo in my opinion. This is bolted to a modified Mk2 turbo flywheel. I go steel these days instead of Fidanza, we're seeing better acceleration in the midrange with them, call it the stored inertia in a heavier flywheel if you will (i'll leave that one for the physics nerds to debate), either way they feel better.

So, time to bolt the EB60 to the Evora S motor....

It's all needing a damn good clean, got rather dusty this past few months.

Then install the whole lot...

Next job is to fabricate a left hanger mount...

It's flying along now, really happy with that gear linkage solution!
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

Good stuff mate, excellent progress. I think I will go turbo flywheel, I think it's better suited in terms of inertia and harmonics.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Very nice Paul , cant wait for a go pro shake down :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Long way to go yet before that, but getting there now.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Long way to go yet before that, but getting there now.

Looks like your going great guns Paul .. sure you'll have together in no time :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Here's hoping!

On with the show... i made a left side gearbox hanger, nothing special, just a flat plate with an Mr2 mount ring welded to it and a polybush insert, i've spaced it to the front for better bolt access.

Next job is to fabricate an adapter bracket for the supported shaft bearing.... on the Mk1 2gr (with EB60) i kept the turbo bearing carrier and made an intermediate bracket, that worked very well, so i'll do the same here.

The left side stub axle is another one of my discoveries, it took a long time to find this, that's an RX300 2WD V6 stub axle, i have machined it down and added an oil seal boss, this stub allows an Mr2 turbo driveshaft to bolt on in the usual manner.... absolute gold dust, you saw it here first.

Overview underneath...

synXero

Post by synXero »

I suspect one day I will buy this off you as a reminder of the perfect version of the car I learned to really drive in and basically, grew up with :D
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thankyou kind sir, but this one will have to be prized away from my still twitching corpse. :D

I'm going to try to keep this one.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Thankyou kind sir, but this one will have to be prized away from my still twitching corpse. :D

I'm going to try to keep this one.

Fibber, I heard you'd bought a supersized plot and had arranged to be buried in it.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It's a possibility!

So both torque mounts are now done, no pics, because it's just torque mounts, also the gear cable holder is done, a Mk3 Mr2 cable holder worked very well there bracketed onto the gearbox. I've also used a Mk3 clutch flexi which worked plug and play with the Scion slave cylinder, bled the clutch and i now have a working clutch and all 7 gears. I need to adjust one of the pivot arms to give less throw, it's currently a bit long from 3rd to 4th.

The induction piping and Maf housing has all been figured out from ARC to SC.

I test fitted the Nur spec, not happy about fitment to be honest, it sits way too low for my liking, especially with the rear panel cut, i don't like it, so the system will be deconstructed, realigned and Tig welded higher up so it fits properly.

2mad

Post by 2mad »

Looks mental Paul .. yeah tuck up that blitz for perfect showing .. Hats off to you mate :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thankyou :thumleft:

More progress, sorry about the crap pic, but the Nur spec has been reconstructed to sit much higher up and at a different angle.

I fabricated the downpipe section, a nice equal length setup with flowing Y merge, all in 2.5" 316 up to the merge, then 3" from there back, i'll seam this up tomorrow and add the lambda bosses. I'm also going to notch the subframe where the exhaust goes over it, it has always bugged me that a 3" system doesn't have enough free room in that area and can knock on hard launches, so it will be modified to suit and the subframe cleaned/painted at the same time.

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

So this is the recess i made on the subframe, just allows a little breathing space around the 3" pipe, i can launch this as hard as i like now without any chance of it catching.

I've also made a start on wiring, mounted the Evora S ECU which just sits in the factory spot....

This isn't just any spaghetti.... this is Marks and Spencer finest Lotus spaghetti....

Getting a bit more technical i'm going to run a tandem Mk3 Mr2 ECU alongside this one, purely to act as a tacho signal box. Why the Mk3 you ask? Well it uses a crank sensor signal (NE+/NE-) just like the 2gr has, when i put this engine into a Mk3 i T into the crank sensor signal so that the ECU still sends a tacho output to the clocks, so same deal here, the Lotus ECU has no tach output so i am creating one. The Mk2 tacho board will then be configured the same way it would be for a 1mz install, basically bridge out the ballast resistor and fit a 19 turn 10k pot across the calibration resistor and it will work perfectly. I can't use a Mk2 ECU because it has a coil based tach output and uses distributor signals instead, it might be possible to fire a Mk2 ignitor via a 2gr coilpack signal, that is a guess... and then use the ignitor tach output in the normal way.... just throwing that one out there it might not be that simple, but i do know using a Mk3 ECU will sort it.

I have had to rewire the engine bay fusebox to let the Lotus ECU have primary control of the main ignition relay, which is now separate to the other relays.

I love wiring, especially difficult problems and getting systems to work that normally wouldn't.
craig

Post by craig »

Credit where due mate, coming along nicely! :clap:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Clever stuff Pual , I love wiring and macgyver jerry rigging too .. best of luck ...

And Merry Christmas mate ... looking forward to new years :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thankyou sir.

Ok so i wasn't 100% happy with the intake pipe, so i redid it in stainless to include the crankcase vent pipe and MAF all in one section. This isn't cosmetically finished yet but looks much better than the old design.

Also got all four of my O2 sensors fitted, the rear two are mounted in defoulers so that while they won't actually be doing any additional fuel trimming duty (not needed) they will be keeping the ECU fault code free.

Part of the beauty of using the Evora ECU is that we can have a fully working CEL and zero fault codes.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

No pics so maybe a pointless update for you pic whores, but the reverse selector lockout has now been made and fitted at the gearstick end, it works really well and prevents reverse being engaged instead of 1st gear, another job off the list.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

PW@Woodsport wrote:prevents reverse being engaged instead of 1st gear, another job off the list.

Yeah dont want that in a god knows how many thousands car :oops:

:thumleft:

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”