Brake pad reccomendations Ebay bargain ideally!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

masterbateson

Re: Brake pad reccomendations Ebay bargain ideally!

Post by masterbateson »

would help if i put/added the link :lol: :roll:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

masterbateson wrote:

Anyone just replaced that? and if so where can you get such things? what they called?
Seems a bit daft replacing the seals if they are ok.

What's daft is taking apart your brakes, replacing one small component and putting them back together, only to do the same thing in 6 months time when a seal fails. Given how relatively cheap the full kit is, it makes sense to refurb the caliper completely - that way you know it will be good for years to come.
craig

Post by craig »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
masterbateson wrote:

Anyone just replaced that? and if so where can you get such things? what they called?
Seems a bit daft replacing the seals if they are ok.

What's daft is taking apart your brakes, replacing one small component and putting them back together, only to do the same thing in 6 months time when a seal fails. Given how relatively cheap the full kit is, it makes sense to refurb the caliper completely - that way you know it will be good for years to come.

Agreed.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Yup.

Feel a bit like that smiths record, oscillating wildly :lol:
As I'm swinging from one extreme to the other, my current idea is to buy a 2nd set of callipers then refurb them off the car in the comfort of my front room and swap em over when I'm done.

That way, if i do all 4 corners at the same time I can flush out the system and refill with completely fresh stuff maybe dot5.1 :-k
Also could be a good time for braided brake hoses, any know a good source for them on the cheep? :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Goodridge hoses. They have the mr2 specific mounting brackets.
Nic

Post by Nic »

masterbateson wrote:my current idea is to buy a 2nd set of callipers then refurb them off the car in the comfort of my front room and swap em over when I'm done.

That's what I did, I bought a 2nd hand set of calipers, overhauled them, swapped them onto the car and sold the old calipers on. BiggRed do good quality rebuild kits and other parts.

http://www.biggred.co.uk/catalogue.php

masterbateson wrote:Also could be a good time for braided brake hoses, any know a good source for them on the cheep? :lol:

Don't buy cheap, either stick with the stock brake lines or be prepared to spend £100+ on a decent set. Most cheap brake line kits don't include the MR2 specific 2 bolt brackets on the rear brake lines, the only ones that I know of that do are the Goodridge and Rogue brake lines. Ideally I'd go with a set of the Goodridge brake lines with stainless steel fittings.

Does your car have ABS? If it doesn't then I'd also recommend fitting a Cusco brake master cylinder stopper (they won't fit if you have ABS) they REALLY help to firm up the pedal feel.

As for brake fluid, I'd go with Motul RBF600.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

RedMR² wrote:Goodridge hoses. They have the mr2 specific mounting brackets.

Yes we have them in stock with stainless ends.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

HEL ones work fine, they don't have the integrated bracket for the rear, but it's very easy to make one using a P-clip.
craig

Post by craig »

Gazza_DJ wrote:HEL ones work fine, they don't have the integrated bracket for the rear, but it's very easy to make one using a P-clip.

Depends if you want to buy cheap and bodge, or buy quality parts that require no modification to fit. Hmmmm, tough choice.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

:roll: Not going to get into this argument with you again. A simple clip hardly qualifies as modification to fit. It's literally a bolt on item.
craig

Post by craig »

Gazza_DJ wrote::roll: Not going to get into this argument with you again. A simple clip hardly qualifies as modification to fit. It's literally a bolt on item.

Not convinced. I would buy Goodridge over HEL anyday of the week.

I have Goodridge lines on mine. I didn't even consider HEL as an alternative.

The only reason you'd use a clip for brake lines that don't include it, is down to the fact they're cheap. Which seems to be the leading factor on everything these days. :roll:

The Goodridge ones use the same bracket as oem. Quality, not cost is the way I roll.

Each to their own I guess..
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I'm not trying to convince you, I'm giving the OP an alternative option.
If you want to pay a £50+ premium for two brackets, then that's fine. That's the only difference.

HEL make good quality hoses, and are a supplier for many motorsport series on two and four wheels. If they were crap like you are saying, then they wouldn't be used by various BTCC, World SBK and BSB, to name a few.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

There is a lot of very sniffy behaviour on here re parts and how people should or should not maintain and service their car.

I was actually going to ask if anyone used HEL lines as they were a popular choice on MGTF's so its good to hear from Gazza dj that he has fitted these.

Personally and I'm not trying to be funny here, but I think you should be slightly more diplomatic and impartial as a moderator. :roll:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

RedMR² wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote::roll: Not going to get into this argument with you again. A simple clip hardly qualifies as modification to fit. It's literally a bolt on item.

Not convinced. I would buy Goodridge over HEL anyday of the week.

I have Goodridge lines on mine. I didn't even consider HEL as an alternative.

The only reason you'd use a clip for brake lines that don't include it, is down to the fact they're cheap. Which seems to be the leading factor on everything these days. :roll:

The Goodridge ones use the same bracket as oem. Quality, not cost is the way I roll.

Each to their own I guess..

:thumleft:
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Gazza_DJ wrote:I'm not trying to convince you, I'm giving the OP an alternative option.
If you want to pay a £50+ premium for two brackets, then that's fine. That's the only difference.

HEL make good quality hoses, and are a supplier for many motorsport series on two and four wheels. If they were crap like you are saying, then they wouldn't be used by various BTCC, World SBK and BSB, to name a few.

HEL are a cheap make of hoses and fittings

Goodridge hose and fitting are used on F1 cars
craig

Post by craig »

masterbateson wrote:

Personally and I'm not trying to be funny here, but I think you should be slightly more diplomatic and impartial as a moderator. :roll:

Diplomatic - Possibly. It just really gets my back up, when cost is the number one priority. ESPECIALLY where brakes and tyres are concerned.

Impartial - Disagree with that comment. My opinions are that of my own, and nothing to do with the views of IMOC.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

I'm not having it that HEL are a cheep braided hose :roll: :lol: and also we are not driving F1 cars, were driving 20 odd year old MR2's.

And as for Using a P clip to secure a brake hose :lol: :lol: :lol: come on really? =; if someone had said they secured their brake hoses with either

Selotape
blu tack
clingfilm
the sort of cable ties you get for sandwich bags.
glue
or cable ties

Then fair enough that's a bodge.

Im sure it must be easy enough to fabricate a nice neat well designed bracket yourself to do this job.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

bobhatton wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote:I'm not trying to convince you, I'm giving the OP an alternative option.

HEL are a cheap make of hoses and fittings

Goodridge hose and fitting are used on F1 cars

So wait HEL is cheap because they dont supply F1 cars and BTCC isnt good enough to put it on a roadcar? Makes no sense whatsoever #-o
craig

Post by craig »

I'm done arguing, can't be bothered. I fitted Goodridge because I wanted the best quality. You go and fit cheap lines with the brackets missing. :thumleft:

SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

RedMR² wrote:
masterbateson wrote:

Diplomatic - Possibly. It just really gets my back up, when cost is the number one priority. ESPECIALLY where brakes and tyres are concerned.

It's not the number one priority, it's a just a factor. I didn't want to spend an extra £50-£60 for the sake of a couple of brackets, when the HEL lines performed exactly the same, will last just as long, and simply require a couple of P clips to secure them.
I could understand your concern if it was a load bearing item, but it isn't - the bracket simply holds the brake line in place so the hard line doesn't flex and deteriorate, and holds the flexi in the correct place to ensure it doesn't come into contact with a moving part.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”