Brake pad reccomendations Ebay bargain ideally!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bobhatton

Re: Brake pad reccomendations Ebay bargain ideally!

Post by bobhatton »

Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Both me and ashely tried ordering from them and couldnt due to their site not accepting uk addresses. Also we were ignored when we tried to contact them directly. I ended up getting a friend in america to order them and ship em on to me.

And seeing as this guy wants to buy second hand pads or unbranded e-bay specials :roll: I doubt hes going to want to pay for actual decent ones.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Race Idiot wrote:

Both me and ashely tried ordering from them and couldnt due to their site not accepting uk addresses. Also we were ignored when we tried to contact them directly. I ended up getting a friend in america to order them and ship em on to me.

And seeing as this guy wants to buy second hand pads or unbranded e-bay specials :roll: I doubt hes going to want to pay for actual decent ones.

He will when he hits the car in front at high speed.

Looks like the UK site has had an upgrade and may now stock the pads.
http://www.porterfieldbrakes.co.uk/brak ... l?cars=147
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Nothing wrong with the standard Pagid pads if you just want OE standard pads.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Nothing wrong with the standard Pagid pads if you just want OE standard pads.

I agree. I use pagid pads and they are fine :thumleft:
super

Post by super »

I always order Porterfields via http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/ :thumleft:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

more money than...... :whistle:
craig

Post by craig »

Just buy some oem Toyota pads. You don't need porterfields or carbotechs etc for replacement pads.

And stay away from second hand pads!
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

A pair of oem pads are only £60 is it worth risking your insurance excess just to save a few quid
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

I rang a local toyota dealer for a price they wanted 109 squid :shock: presumably without the dreaded VAT.

I politely declined the offer =;
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

try TCB parts.. usually cheaper than a dealer for oem parts.

failing that just get some good known brand pads from any motor factors (euro car parts...) pagid, brembo, mintex etc will all be more than up to the job

never, ever cheap out on brakes or tyres, it's what makes the difference between something being "oh poop, that was a close call" and "somebody call an ambulance"
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

masterbateson wrote:I rang a local toyota dealer for a price they wanted 109 squid :shock: presumably without the dreaded VAT.

I politely declined the offer =;

http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/view/ ... -1992-1999
craig

Post by craig »

I find it pretty shocking that people are willing to fit sub standard parts to their cars. Especially where brakes are concerned. If you can't afford basic maintainence for the car, then don't own it.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

masterbateson wrote:more money than...... :whistle:

Might as well get the cheapest tyres possible too because buying decent ones wont make a bit of difference!
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Just go to your local car parts place and order some. In all the years i have been driving ive never fitted mega expensive brake pads and guess what in 27 yrs i have never rear ended anyone or even had 1 crash and most of those years was doing 1000+ miles a week :lol: (waits for smart ass to say there's always a first time)

Wonder how many cars are on the road with just brake pads from local car parts shop :-k :-k

Scarey stuff, i best not go on the road ever again in case i get rear ended. :lol:
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

money saving tip: if you grease both sides of your pads, they'll last longer :)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

RedMR² wrote:I find it pretty shocking that people are willing to fit sub standard parts to their cars. Especially where brakes are concerned. If you can't afford basic maintainence for the car, then don't own it.

:roll:

Standard pagid pads perform exactly the same as the OE Toyota ones. They are fine for a daily. If I was doing track days, I'd get high end pads.
I'm doing 25k a year, there's no situation in normal road driving where high end pads like carbotechs are going to make any measurable difference. The only noticeable difference is the line on my bank statement when I buy the things.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Gazza_DJ wrote: there's no situation in normal road driving where high end pads like carbotechs are going to make any measurable difference

Agreed, it's only those abnormal emergency situations where you are really going to notice the difference (and of course during more spirited and track driving situations) :thumleft:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

alanmr2turbo wrote: Wonder how many cars are on the road with just brake pads from local car parts shop :-k :-k

Scarey stuff, i best not go on the road ever again in case i get rear ended. :lol:

TBF though the majority of cars on the road aren't going to be driving 'spiritedly' and aren't exactly challenging to drive. I'd like to think that if you own an MR2 you would want decent brakes, tyres, handling etc. to compliment driving it as was intended.. :-k

Masterbateson - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsB2wtH24D8 :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
RedMR² wrote:I find it pretty shocking that people are willing to fit sub standard parts to their cars. Especially where brakes are concerned. If you can't afford basic maintainence for the car, then don't own it.

:roll:

Standard pagid pads perform exactly the same as the OE Toyota ones. They are fine for a daily. If I was doing track days, I'd get high end pads.
I'm doing 25k a year, there's no situation in normal road driving where high end pads like carbotechs are going to make any measurable difference. The only noticeable difference is the line on my bank statement when I buy the things.

I never said anything about getting Carbotech pads. Just sticking with OEM Toyota pads.

CalMac wrote: I'd like to think that if you own an MR2 you would want decent brakes, tyres, handling etc. to compliment driving it as was intended.. :-k

Agreed.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”