Loud ticking under acceleration

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

daviefoster9773

Loud ticking under acceleration

Post by daviefoster9773 »

Hi folks. Got the Mr2 back on road. There is a strange noise coning from the dump valve area. It's an HKS that goes straight onto the metal bit above the turbo. The noise started like a creaking. It did it on last engine just on start up. Now it's doing it on new engine which makes me think it's the dump valve. Car boosts fine. So don't think it's the turbo. It's like a loud ticking clock noise only when I put accelerator down. Boost can be reading 0 on controller and throttle down a little bit and it still makes the noise. Louder the harder I press the yhrottleyhrottle. I have a video. How do I upload it? Cheers lads
markstevieandmads

Re: Loud ticking under acceleration

Post by markstevieandmads »

Exhaust gasket blowing? Manifold gasket blowing? This can produce a ticking sound.
daviefoster9773

I'll check that mate. Hopefully nothing big eh
daviefoster9773

It's the gasket on manifold. Bell*end mechanic left 2 studs out. The dump valve is sound.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Do You have a boost controller ? I have an apexi solenoid that sounds similar to your description. Any joy with the video ?, May well bring a quicker conclusion :wink:
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

I had this not too long ago. Thought it must have been leaves or something and then the extension tube with my wastegate on it snapped off. Was gas leaking from the exhaust manifold essentially.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”