Wheel Alignment / Vibrator Issues

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fred130111

Re: Wheel Alignment / Vibrator Issues

Post by fred130111 »

Yeah I have aftermarket wheels with the correct nuts. Pretty sure the wheels are mounted centrally but I guess the smallest amount off could cause issues.

I will refit them myself as I could see that the tyre shop literally just bash them on and do one nut up at a time as tight as possible ](*,)
Harold

Post by Harold »

Are the wheels and tyres new to you? It could be the tyres themselves if so.

I had a similar problem with wheel vibration, after I bought a new set of wheels with used tyres on. The tyres were a good brand and had a decent amount of tread left so I left them on. Bad vibration between 65-80, and tried everything, had them balanced at three different places with fine setting, fitted new discs and pads, full wheel alignment and all did nothing. It wasn't until I changed the tyres that the problem went away.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

tyres are around two years old but still have decent tread etc as the cars just been sat, however I am thinking that could be the problem.

When I went back to the tyre shop they said 10g was missing off both wheels. ( in other words they did not balance them correctly in the first place )

It has improved a huge huge huge amount, there is still a vibration between 60 and 70 but I can live with it.

I am thinking at some point just change the tyres and go somewhere a bit better to get them balanced etc.
Nic

Post by Nic »

fred130111 wrote:yeah I have 5mm spacers, cant really remove them to test as the wheel rubs up against the suspension lol.

spigot rings are in the wheel but I am pretty sure because of the spacer they don't actually mate with the centre bore on the hub ](*,)

Not good, with a 5mm universal spacer fitted the wheels will not be centered or supported by the hub spigot, this could well be the cause of the vibration.

Ideally you want wheels that fit, if you do use spacers use hubcentric ones with a recess that fits tightly onto the hub spigot and also includes a spigot on the outside of the spacer for the wheel to fit tightly onto. These type of spacers are not available in 5mm thickness, I think the minimum width is 10mm.

More info here, well worth a read
http://planetsoarer.com/offset/studs.htm
http://planetsoarer.com/offset/offset.htm
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

LOLZ at the title of this thread :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

JohnnyC wrote:LOLZ at the title of this thread :mrgreen:

Yeah, I missed it when it was posted.

*sniggers* :mrgreen:
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

fred130111 wrote:Had the wheels balanced
Had the alignment front and back done

Tramlining is no longer that much of an issue at all and generally the car feels much more stable.

However the steering wheel shakes / vibrates a ridiculous amount at 65 - 70mph, anything below is fine.

Any ideas what this could be? really p1$$ing me off!

:thumleft:

My car went in for new front tyres the other year with no steering vibration at all, but it gained that vibration with the new tyres.
In the waiting room I did hear a clang like some dropped a big spanner.

Usually they get it right but this guy was an apprentice and I took it back after 2 mins driving as the stick on balancing weights were just catching the calipers.... tick tick tick tick....
They laughed at the apprentice who rebalanced the wheels and said sorry.

Got onto a dual carriageway a few mins later and the steering wheel was shaking quite badly and I thought it may have lost a balancing weight.
They were about to close so I took it back the next morning and they said it was balanced ok, maybe it was a tyre issue so they put another new tyre on and balanced it.

This was a bit better but still bad so took it back again. Experienced fitter showed me him do the balancing, and pointed out one of the inner rims was slightly buckled and the machine shows it is balanced with the tyre fitted and there was nothing else they could do.

Got back on the road and still had the problem which I got used to while looking for another wheel. Never did change the wheel as I got used to it and avoided the problem speed range (not difficult when commuting).

The car never had the problem before the tyre changes so I reckon that big clang I heard was someone dropping my wheel on the floor.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Yeah that's the trouble, even when jacking up the car I was making sure they did it right ( which they weren't going to until I said something )

I think most of these so called mechanics are so use to the typical family hatch going in where their attitude is just... Who gives a Sh!t whack whack whack, job done.

Think this is why I try to do as much work as I can myself, don't have much faith in most garages.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

fred130111 wrote:No not using extended studs, there seemed to be more than enough thread left for the nuts to go over nicely.

The problem I have is that when doing 70mph it looks like I am wan king off my steering wheel. It's not fun and looks ridiculous, especially when my arms begin to shake.

So I shall go back to the place I got it done shortly and see what they have to say now that it looks like not only am I masterbating my steering wheel but also like I am being electrocuted at the same time.

xxxxxx car ](*,)

The box must be too loose or over lubricated, that or the shaft is well below standard and should be replaced.

If the vibrator is electrocuting you that's another issue.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Just because bored at work

rgb

Post by rgb »

maybe you've got parkinsons disease.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”