[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 Turbo with Bolt ons, what's next?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheCombover

[Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 Turbo with Bolt ons, what's next?

Post by TheCombover »

I own a rev2 GTS turbo, I have the usual bolt ons, straight through exhaust with gutted stock downpipe, cone air filter and an EBC and a Hybrid CT26. Recently fitted rev3 billies, handles very nicely, will be getting new tyres before I try to add power!
Turned the boost up to 15psi, great fun but I'm getting used to it now and wondering what's next power wise?

Rev3 fuel management?
Rev3 Turbo?
Or shall I just go all out and get a rev3 lump fitted?
Are there any other possibilities for the rev2?

Thanks,
Patrick
nathan.z

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Rev2 Turbo with Bolt ons, what's next?

Post by nathan.z »

Bigger intercooler or chargecooler - Rev 3 engine management - ECU - Fueling. Metal head gasket, CT20b if you're not happy with the hybrid CT26. After market ECU would be better than a Rev 3 for tuning. Bigger injectors etc AFR meter...Plenty left

I personally wouldn't bother swapping for a Rev 3 lump as it's not cost effective at this point. Also Rev 3's were more prone to cracking your engine block on bigger power builds due to a thinner cylinder wall.
craig

Post by craig »

nathan.z wrote:Also Rev 3's were more prone to cracking your engine block on bigger power builds due to a thinner cylinder wall.

Not true. Luck of the draw.

Early rev 1/2 turbo blocks seem to favour the water pump area for cracking. Rev 3 turbo blocks seem to go between 1 & 2 cylinder.

Blocks have cracked running stock power in the past.
TheCombover

Post by TheCombover »

Ahh good rev3 lump with all ancillaries seems a bit expensive :|

I'm planning on getting a metal head gasket when my head gasket needs changing.

What sort of aftermarket ECU would I be after for a rev2? Will it remove the MAF sensor in favour for a MAP sensor?
craig

Post by craig »

Rev 3 sensor, injector and wiring conversion will allow you to run a rev3 ecu.

Link or Apexi FC are good enough for the job.

My car has a stock rev 3 turbo engine with forged pistons. Running bolt on mods in addition.

Car made 306bhp @ 1.2 bar on Apexi Power FC.
craig

Post by craig »

Just re-read. So you're not coverting to rev3 wiring etc?

Apexi do an AP Engineering version of the Power FC that is for the earlier cars.
TheCombover

Post by TheCombover »

I would either get an ECU for my rev2 fuel management or get a rev3 fuel management conversion beforehand and go for a rev3 aftermarket ECU. Which would be more cost effective?
I'm only after the 300bhp mark, I havnt got any plans to go further than that yet...
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Look at the adaptronic ecug greddymr2 is selling.
It's about 1k but its plug and play for rev 2. It's also self learning and has a built in map sensor so you can get rid of the AFM.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

The first place to start on an ugrade of any turbo engine to run higher boost is a set of low compression pistons. Once that is done you can almost do what you want with the turbo, fueling, ecu etc.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
TheCombover

Post by TheCombover »

Oh wow the adaptronic ECU is mad, every single feature possible! I can understand why it's £1k

What low compressions pistons would I be looking for? Does low compression piston mean that the car will not run happily if the boost was set to low?
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

You can run low comp. pistons even on stock boost, but you will loose low end torque.

Lower comp. pistons required if you want to run more boost on pump gas. But to be honest I'm running on wiseco pistons (9.0:1 I think) on 98 gas with no problems. Of course car is mapped accordingly on Adaptronic ecu :thumleft:
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

I personally wouldn't worry about pistons till your past the 300bhp mark on the Rev 2. The biggest limiting factor is the ECU and turbo for running higher boost as by default the ECU will flood the engine with more fuel and the CT26 runs out of puff. This has been the advice given to me from a reputable affiliate.

Go aftermarket and get the ECU tuned properly.
alexg40

Post by alexg40 »

I recently got a Link ecu, highly recommend one!

I will be doing a full engine build soon and going gt30 too :)
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

The standalone ecu are all much of a muchness really. Whether your going with Motec, Vipec, Link, AEM, Hydra, ECUMaster or Megasquirt....they all provide the basics out of the box. Some provide further gadgets for extra money others include functions at no extra cost.

Your best bet is to go with the system your tuner of choice feels comfortable with!

Return to “Modifications”