[Mk2] [Turbo] PCV - mini filter or aftermarket catch can?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

[Mk2] [Turbo] PCV - mini filter or aftermarket catch can?

Post by CalMac »

Just been reading this and it got me thinking http://oilcatchcan.com/oil-catch-can-benefits/

On this Rev 3 turbo engine I've been preparing for my project car there's a black filter between the rocker cover and intake pipe, seems this is a factory oil particulate filter (or something along those lines). How efficient is likely to be in comparison to an aftermarket 'functional' catch can (ie. not just a container with inlet/outlet welded on) or just a small crankcase breather filter?

This is the stock item I'm on about http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-CE ... Sw3ydV5E-f

Surely just using a filter means that the engine bay will eventually be covered in a mist of manky oil? :-k

If the stock item is capable then I'll stick with it but if I can limit the effects of oil in my intake further then I'm willing to listen to how others rate aftermarket items :thumleft:
jimGTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] PCV - mini filter or aftermarket catch can?

Post by jimGTS »

put a filter on the oem catch can. :thumleft:

(and block intake hole)

=

no oily gases in the intake/ic/engine
craig

Post by craig »

The stock catch can is a hell of a lot more efficient than those baked bean tins with a level indicator.

The stock catch can has oil seperators. The cheap ones off ebay are just a can.

I wouldn't stick a filter on it either. Just to prevent any misty oil on the engine. Direct it back into the intake as per stock.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

or fit the filter to the end of the long return hose and place the end somewhere not hovering over the bay.

any oil mist is bad into the intake.

i personally i run no filter and just point the hose down by the left side engine mount.

eventually that filter will clog up restricting flow, i decided to not bother running one.
:eye:
craig

Post by craig »

Easy enough to remove the can and clean it. I'm running a baffled Noble M12 catch can.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

jimGTS wrote:or fit the filter to the end of the long return hose and place the end somewhere not hovering over the bay.

any oil mist is bad into the intake.

i personally i run no filter and just point the hose down by the left side engine mount.

eventually that filter will clog up restricting flow, i decided to not bother running one.
:eye:

Jim has got it right.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Ok I'll just run the pipe out of the way somewhere, is it pretty simple to divert the other (two?) hoses that go into the oem filter? I'm putting all the engine back together and half-guessing where most parts go as it is (I stripped it two years ago, oops).

Return to “Modifications”