[Mk2] [Turbo] HID kit or Performance bulbs ?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JLW

[Mk2] [Turbo] HID kit or Performance bulbs ?

Post by JLW »

Hi Guys

I'm looking to improve the lighting from the headlights and also the fog lights, I'm running a set of LED sidelights that look great and produce a very nice white light, however the headlights and fog lights are still retaining a yellowish bulb that doesn't really penetrate the dark properly.

Obviously the main point in improving is for visibility. However i'd also like to get a nice white light from the bulbs / HID's to match the LED's.

my question is whats best and if you can recommend any kits / bulbs.

thanks,

Jordan.
craig

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] HID kit or Performance bulbs ?

Post by craig »

To run HIDs, you need proper projector lenses with cut off shields. Never use a HID kit in reflector type headlights, it's dangerous, and you'll just end up blinding everyone on the road.

I have a set of crystal type head lights from ebay and Osram nightbreaker bulbs. Much improvement over the stock lighting.

Or, you could also keep a look out for rev6 headlights.
JLW

Post by JLW »

Cheers Buddy

ok noted on the HID upgrade, Don't fancy blinding some poor Fooker into a hedge with my nice HID upgrade so ill go with the second option.

I've found two options,

1. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/86-95-Toyota- ... Sw1vlUxZp0

2. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400837910017? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Option 1 looks like its too good to be true ? , love the look of them and I'm sure they would operate well, right up until the point they break ? lol

thoughts ?
craig

Post by craig »

I have the ones in the second link. The HIDs lenses in the first link, be careful because they'll more than likely be LHD versions for the US market.
JLW

Post by JLW »

I'm going to message the seller and ask if they are LHD or RHD specific, so they are HID lenses but converted for H4 bulbs correct ?
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

The ones in the 1st link are garbage that isn't a proper optic and the reflector bowl has black paint on it. Although looking closely it seems some of it is unpainted, if you just browse ebay there is dozens of variation on that headlight.

LHD vs RHD wouldn't matter with the first link as the beam cutoff would still be governed by the H4 bulbs (internal cut off), supposed to a proper projector kit where the cutoff lever is LH or RH.

If you want 'proper' projectors you can either buy some ready made or make some yourself.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

standard halogen light

retrofitted projector
JLW

Post by JLW »

Hi Tiff

Thanks man I appreciate your feedback, I thought they were a little
Too good to be true etc, as Red has advised with the Crystal lights in the
Second link it's a much better route then the first option I posted.

I looked through your build for a retro fitter projector
Unit, it's looks amazing pal ! , top work, I don't suppose you would
Entertain building another set for monies ? :D

If not then I'm gonna go down the route of crystals with osram night breakers 8)
sheep

Post by sheep »

i have the lamps in your second link hooked up with some white night breaker bulbs - massive imporovement on the oem lamps.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Not sure where you are but i'm in Australia mate plus i've not got time to make another set at the minute.

If you go the conventional H4 bulb route measure the voltage at the base of the bulb when it is on, not sure on the quality of the OEM lighting loom but cheap wiring can cause a voltage drop and such a drop in light output.

I couldn't find the proper table I was looking for (it was on Philips/Osrams website) but if you check out this thread about 1/5th down the page
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... elays.html
you can see how light output drops off dramatically with voltage.

If you follow that page it goes through wiring up headlights with direct high quality feeds from the battery which are then operated using the OEM loom, it's actually the same way plug and play HID kits work.

Return to “Modifications”