Ticking Noise

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fred130111

Ticking Noise

Post by fred130111 »

Concerned about the ticking noise coming from my engine.
Finally uploaded a video on youtube

Rev3 3SGE ( Sounds like it is coming from the head, hear it most from the drivers side )

https://youtu.be/XOwP-LbUx80
markstevieandmads

Re: Ticking Noise

Post by markstevieandmads »

blowing manifold gasket?
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Cheers for the input I'll have a look!
Sounds more like its rotating / it gets faster As the revs go up
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

That sound like manifold gasket to me to.
It will get faster as the revs increase as more exhaust gas is expelled!
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Cheers I'll check that out tomorrow! Never crossed my mind it could be that tbh! Was thinking more like something in the head haha
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

fred130111 wrote:Cheers I'll check that out tomorrow! Never crossed my mind it could be that tbh! Was thinking more like something in the head haha

If you have a small length of hose you can use this as a stethoscope to pin point the noise.

If it is the gasket, what you can hear is it fluttering as it is multilayer metal gasket

If you need to replace it tcb list a one piece for the import engine and 2 pieces for uk spec (assuming n/a)
If you plan to take off the manifold spray the nuts with some good penetrant (not just wd40, proper stuff, i like 3in1 brand of penetrant) for a couple of days first. Then take your time undoing. Oxy flame if available will help.
Even then the nut may not move and the stud unwinds out of the head.

Mine did just that for 3 of the studs. So when i had the head off to do the gasket i put in new studs and new nuts.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

My cars first timing belt change (by a dealership) was handed back to me with a ticking noise on the drivers side.
It never changed with revs, and it went away after the car warmed up.
Took it back to them, they said it was the tensioner, which they then replaced for free.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

First thing that came to my mind before even watching the vid was exhaust manifold gasket, does it go away when the engine is warmed up i.e manifold etc all expanded
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

Tensioner also crossed my mind but its really hard to pin point because of the stupidly loud exhaust ](*,)

It could well be the manifold gasket though as I recently took of a Futijsubo manifold and putting the gasket back on the OEM manifold was pretty difficult as I think the ports are slightly different shapes / different indents.

Just hoping not internal as I have only just got this engine in and finished putting the car back together :|

Thanks for all your help though guys :thumleft:

Edit: The sound does get slightly quieter when everything is warmed up but you can still hear it fairly easily
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

fred130111 wrote:
It could well be the manifold gasket though as I recently took of a Futijsubo manifold and putting the gasket back on the OEM manifold was pretty difficult as I think the ports are slightly different shapes / different indents.

Was it running before you took it off, and was the noise present then?
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

There was no backbox attached when the Fujitsubo manifold was on, so probably would not have been able to hear it over the sound of the exhaust. But certainly did not pick up on any abnormal sounds.
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

OK so checked the exhaust manifold, held a bit of paper by each area and didn't move / couldn't feel anything blowing out. Did the nuts up extra tight and put my ear there and it doesn't appear to be coming from there.

I then took the cambelt cover off to see if the tensioner was making a noise, it is faintly but a different one..... also noticed that the belt does not stay straight, when the cams are moving it looks like its swaying up and down slightly... suggests some sort of issue with a pulley not being tight / out of balance ????
](*,)

So I am left to believe it could be a valve / valve spring? The cars really P!ssing me off now so could be breaking it soon :neutral:

Cheers for any help in advance :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”