Leaking Boot Spoiler?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

daviefoster9773

Leaking Boot Spoiler?

Post by daviefoster9773 »

Hi, my Mr2 boot is constantly soaking. Is this a common issue? I havent had a chance to check it properly yet but there is always loads of water droplets on underside of the boot. I guessed maybe the poiler is leaking. Want to get this fixed asap as my engine is mean to be fitted by this w.e. at long last :)
Nic

Re: Leaking Boot Spoiler?

Post by Nic »

Is it a stock rear wing? There should be gaskets between the boot lid and spoiler to stop water getting in past the bolt holes. If it does have the gaskets fitted then check the bolts holding the wing are torqued up tightly.

Also check the condition of the rubber boot lid seal and check underneath the carpet for anywhere that water could be getting in from underneath.
Last edited by Nic on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Could be:
- spoiler gaskets
- rear lights
- grommets at bottom of boot (under carpet)

I got inside the boot with a torch while the wife sprayed water everywhere - nothing.
Until she sprayed from underneath and a little came through one of the grommets.
If it turns out to be this, just get a replacement grommet, don't be a hobo and put silicone sealant around it. Can't remember how much my grommet was, but knowing Toyota, probably £10 #-o
daviefoster9773

JohnnyC wrote:Could be:
- spoiler gaskets
- rear lights
- grommets at bottom of boot (under carpet)

I got inside the boot with a torch while the wife sprayed water everywhere - nothing.
Until she sprayed from underneath and a little came through one of the grommets.
If it turns out to be this, just get a replacement grommet, don't be a hobo and put silicone sealant around it. Can't remember how much my grommet was, but knowing Toyota, probably £10 #-o

Sounds like something minimal then. I will look into it this w.e. :) Hopefully it is just the grommets on the floor as you mentioned. Possibly rain getting through, then sitting on the carpet and the heat of the exhaust evaporating some to underside of the boot? I have a nur-spec.
dazzy

Post by dazzy »

The inner arches into the boot are prone to rotting out, if driven in the wet water can get in. it's worth removing the carpet and looking up into the qtr voids if you haven't already done so.
Hopefully tho it's something basic like the boot seal or grommets.
daviefoster9773

dazzy wrote:The inner arches into the boot are prone to rotting out, if driven in the wet water can get in. it's worth removing the carpet and looking up into the qtr voids if you haven't already done so.
Hopefully tho it's something basic like the boot seal or grommets.

Duly noted mate. I will get a good look at this when I get the car back at the weekend.
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

Mine was leaking through two places

- cracked aerial rubber
- a badly sealed alarm sensor in the engine bay (allowing water to leak down in past the ECU)

fixed both of them with a healthy amount of black rubber from halfords (same stuff people use for tbar leak repairs)
daviefoster9773

wenguin wrote:Mine was leaking through two places

- cracked aerial rubber
- a badly sealed alarm sensor in the engine bay (allowing water to leak down in past the ECU)

fixed both of them with a healthy amount of black rubber from halfords (same stuff people use for tbar leak repairs)

Good tip, thanks :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”