[Mk2] [Turbo] Another decat question

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

[Mk2] [Turbo] Another decat question

Post by markstevieandmads »

Hi
I noticied my rev 2 turbo was making a funny noise while idling and after sticking my hand underneath the car i can tell the exhaust is leaking gas from what looks like the flexi to cat join.
I remembered i had a decat i bought a while back secondhand so thought why not fit this at the same time.
However when i have unwrapped my decat i see it has XS on the side and i have read these are not too good as they crack and the wastegate can catch on it? It even seems like it already has been rewelded (good welds) so even though it looks solid i think it maybe best to get a better berk decat.

So...

Looking on the GTSChris website he lists 2x berk decats for the rev1/2 - one is £199.99 and one is £154.99. They look exactly the same and both come with gaskets.
What is the difference?

Also , they are described to have gaskets with them but i wonder if these are genuine and it looks like they dont include the 5/6 bolt turbocharger to decat gasket. I cant see these listed on his site.

My question is has anyone bought the gtschris decat for a rev 2 and if so which one? Also is it toyota only for the gaskets.

I have read up on the job and tbh looks a right pig to do so dont want to be doing it again!

At the same time I found a nice aftermarket intercooler and hard pipes I also bought (i have a bad memory!) so this will be fitted at the same time.
Hez

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Another decat question

Post by Hez »

One of them has a extra bolt hole on the flange, mine didn't include a turbo to decat gasket I bought genuine Toyota from tcb parts however you can get away with reusing that gasket it's pretty hefty I wouldn't have bothered with a new one if I'd,have realised. You will get a decat to exhaust gasket which does the job.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Hez wrote:One of them has a extra bolt hole on the flange

That is for the Rev 3 CT20B turbo.

Remember to fit the lower bracket too
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

The metal turbo gasket is ok to reuse if there are no cracks. It does come with the bracket and flange gasket.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

the difference between the two berk downpipes chis sells is that the cheaper one is bare stainless, the more expensive one is ceramic coated. I have the ceramic coated one, They only come with the DP to mid pipe gasket, it's a cheap dimpled graphite gasket, although mine has been fine

They do not come with the turbo to DP gasket, when I picked my downpipe up (chris is local to me) he said they always reuse the original toyota one as they're "tough as old boots" however I bought a new one, i think toyota charge £38-ish for them.

Be wary, whilst the berk DP is significantly better quality than the eBay ones, they're still not amazing, I refused the first one he gave me as the flange was seriously warped and there were areas of welding on the inside with very little penetration, the second one (the one I have on my car now) is much better, but still not perfect
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
markstevieandmads

I may just stick to this xs one I have then.
Will buy OEM gaskets all round and the support bracket.

Cheers
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I've got a spare unused support bracket here, £15 delivered if you want it
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
markstevieandmads

Yes please. Can u pm me details. Thanks

Return to “Mechanical”