15psi after replacing cat with 3" downpipe

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

masterbateson

Re: 15psi after replacing cat with 3" downpipe

Post by masterbateson »

Whats up with metal head gaskets? :?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Just had a read through .. the wastegate is more than likely catching the downpipe this is so common its a mr2 cliché .. some people have dremeled the downpipe so it doesn't catch ..

As for porting i used carbide cutters and a dremel to do the porting .. worked well i had 1psi boost creep after on a ct20b , result :D
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

masterbateson wrote:Whats up with metal head gaskets? :?

nothing.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Pics..

Thats how i did it .. :D
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

mr299ron wrote:That seems like a right god damn pain.

I think the best way to sort this would be to install the correct supporting mods. IC and a metal headgasket.. although the headgasket looks like a sh1te job too..

How does fitting that help?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

markstevieandmads wrote:

I think the best way to sort this would be to install the correct supporting mods. IC and a metal headgasket.. although the headgasket looks like a sh1te job too..

Rev1/2 head gaskets like to go pop approaching 15psi .. bit of a pain if you want to push it ... ps. mine held over 15psi but i could be the exception to the rule 8-[
craig

Post by craig »

2mad wrote:
markstevieandmads wrote:

Rev1/2 head gaskets like to go pop approaching 15psi .. bit of a pain if you want to push it ... ps. mine held over 15psi but i could be the exception to the rule 8-[

Doesn't help they're made of paper. :roll:

Rev 3 metal head gasket all the way.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Ps . Bob can do a smooth port job on a ct way better than me (properly drilled not diegrinded .. pm him :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

You REALLY don't want to be boosting to 20psi, even for a second.

The fact you've completely illuminated fuel cut is a receipt for disaster!
Hitting 20psi could have easily blown your Pistons!

There is a reason why folk fit a fuel cut defender and not just block the pipe.

You cannot tell if the wastegate flapper is hitting the downpipe without at least disconnecting the actuator arm (by the downpipe).
Problem with this is it's a pita to get to! You simply can't see it,only feel. Getting off maybe ok, but putting it back on, jeeez. Not impossible though.

Didn't folk warn you already about eBay down pipes? Pot luck really if you have issues with wastegate flapper (Yes japspeed sell the same as the eBay bits).

On q separate note do you have the support plate fitted to the downpipe?

There is a good reason why people do this mods at home because of issues with product quality.
Your mate/mechanic couldn't have known the flapper was hitting the downpipe unless he removed the actuator arm to test or applied 7psi to the actuator. Both of which I highly doubt he did.
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

jimGTS wrote:You REALLY don't want to be boosting to 20psi, even for a second.

You cannot tell if the wastegate flapper is hitting the downpipe without at least disconnecting the actuator arm (by the downpipe).
Problem with this is it's a pita to get to! You simply can't see it,only feel. Getting off maybe ok, but putting it back on, jeeez. Not impossible though.

Didn't folk warn you already about eBay down pipes? Pot luck really if you have issues with wastegate flapper (Yes japspeed sell the same as the eBay bits).

There is a good reason why people do this mods at home because of issues with product quality.
Your mate/mechanic couldn't have known the flapper was hitting the downpipe unless he removed the actuator arm to test or applied 7psi to the actuator. Both of which I highly doubt he did.

Sounds like a pain in the as. Seems like a better idea to just take off the downpipe and try skimming off the part it might be catching on. Or, buy supporting mods, such as a berk intercooler. All good.

I hit 20psi literally once dude. I just didn't expect it after picking the car up. As soon as I saw it hitting above 15psi I cruised home.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

please explain why its "all good" by buying "supporting mods, such as a berk intercooler"

that isnt resolving the problem.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

And low compression pistons
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

jimGTS wrote:You REALLY don't want to be boosting to 20psi, even for a second.

I'm quite interested in what Jims said here, my car came with what i think is an ebay downpipe already on it.
One of my first fixes on the car was to release a jammed wastegate because of these down pipes.
I've since replaced the gasket, and plan on fitting a 2nd as I'm led to believe this helps with this problem.

Quite interested in how you remove the actuator arm? I assumed it was fixed at both ends? :?

Also would be interested in finding out about this supporting bracket.

I tried blowing into my WG actuator to see if i could make it move
:lol: Not enough puff then tried a bike pump and managed it dont know what psi it was tho.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

I'm only talking about removing the arm from the flapper.
The other end is fixed at the actuator essentially.

At the flapper it's simply pulled and slips onto a tab (on the flapper) then a c clip holds it in place.
By pull I mean you need to overcome the spring pressure to yank it onto the tab.

This is why things are tricky because you can't see what your doing.
If you can apply 7psi to the actuator to get it off and on I'm sure things would be easier.

Any downpipe should have a support plate. Less so one with a flexy, but more so one without due to engine and exhaust movement pulling and pushing on the pipe all the time. Plenty of non flexy downpipes have cracked due to no support plate.
Google it, gts Chris sells some. Or at least he used to.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

You can apply pressure using a ebay £4.50 footpump as shown here .. http://vid948.photobucket.com/albums/ad ... e_test.mp4

This is a must have in my book for testing :thumleft:

Kev.
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

So from that video, what is getting stuck? The actual wastegate flap, or the arm's joint trying to move to open the flap?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

The flap hitting the downpipe and not opening enough.
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

What would I need to trim down the flange?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

mr299ron wrote:So from that video, what is getting stuck? The actual wastegate flap, or the arm's joint trying to move to open the flap?

The video is just showing you how an inexpensive footpump can help diagnose wastegate problems. also help with refitting the actuator because all actuators have pre-tension meaning the arm is a few mm shorter that is needed to reach the turnbuckle .. couple of pumps and its at the right lenth to fit .

Kev.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

mr299ron wrote:What would I need to trim down the flange?

Take the pipe off, place a Toyota gasket, not the one that may have come with the pipe or any you find on ebay, and you will see the part that needs cutting away, cut it away.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”