How bad does this look compared to other mk2s

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

parker455

Re: How bad does this look compared to other mk2s

Post by parker455 »

Mine was the same! We found a breaker at a yard and cut the arches/sill out to repair mine with, worked well and was solid. Literally cut the arch completely out and re-welded a new one in there.

Took some work but was worth it. Unfortunately if you feel its too much then it's your choice, but depends how much you want to put into it!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Thats great advice parker :thumleft: .. get stuck in op :D
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

Yea that's the way I'm trying to see it I've got enough sheet metal to do the repair three times over and I've picked up a decent second hand mig welder. Well the worst case scenario is I ruin a rusty mk2 n/a so I guess it's worth a go
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Angpozzuto wrote:Yea that's the way I'm trying to see it I've got enough sheet metal to do the repair three times over and I've picked up a decent second hand mig welder. Well the worst case scenario is I ruin a rusty mk2 n/a so I guess it's worth a go

Have a go, if it does not go well fit side skirts and spats ... you can do it mate :thumleft:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Yup, chopping the bits you need out of a good donor is going to save you a lot of work fabricating.

I would have done that with the jag, but trying to find one of those that hadn't rotted in the same area was nigh on impossible.

Make sure you cut out a bit more than you need from your donor.

There are a couple of websites out there about modding your mig welder :lol: because a lot of the cheaper ones have terrible wire feed.

One great cheep mod is replacing the liner of your mig from its original platic one, with a metal one, and you can do this courtesy of your local curtain shop.
Get one of those wire curtain rail thingy's same length/longer than your mig and fit that instead of your placcy job. :thumleft:
Plus get yourself a supply of replacement tips, and a lcd mask is worth its weight in gold.
P.s. have you got gas for your mig? you can get away with pub gas(co2) altho its not as good as proper welding gas.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Urgh unlucky mate, the problem when you start chasing rust is that it never lets you down and is 9/10 far far worse then it appears.

As masterbateson (how did you get away with that!) mentions with regards to gas, I would recommend you get your own bottle you can rent or buy I had one from "Adams gas" for years with no annual fee or anything. The small 'hobby' bottles you get from halfords won't last 5 mins with that amount of welding.
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

Thanks for all your positive comments guys I had a good go at it this weekend I managed to rebuild the drivers side arch / boot corner and coated it all in red oxide as I went. I also got most of the drivers side sill redone it needs a bit more work just to finish it off but I think I might be able to avoid having to cover it all up with sideskirts. I haven't taken any pics yet but I'll try and take some if it's still daylight when I get home from work
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

What no pics! :roll:

Come on! we want to see. :cyclops:
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

I've finally managed to get some snaps of my diy arch and sill repair. Don't be too harsh on me guys it's the first time I've done any metalwork I have to say it's bloody hard work. I think I'm going to stick to the day job for now lol

masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Well there's def no rust there now! :thumleft:
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Never welded before? not a bad first effort, that's better then some of the work i've seen by so called 'professionals' (i.e some random down at the local garage), the ball ache will be grinding those welds back to tidy it up.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

you could always not bother grinding back as its all going to be under your bumper, no one is going to see it.
apart from sill of course
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

Fair one I guess it depends how ocd you are, smear some bodge (I mean seam sealer) over it and job done!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Well done for having a go your self .. hats of to you mate .. not going to lie not the prettiest .. but no ones going to see so who cares .. very well done fella :thumleft:
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

Thanks again for all your comments I know it doesn't look pretty as long as it does the job it's supposed to do I'm happy as I don't really want to spend too much on this car as I'm toying with the idea of getting a fresh import tubby as I don't ever want a rusty car again lol

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”