Booooooost

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr299ron

Re: Booooooost

Post by mr299ron »

2mad wrote:
parker455 wrote:
mr299ron wrote:
So get off your high horse and stop being a mug :)

I think it was just advice.. [-(

Was a bit harsh though parker i can see why he was angry .. if i read the posts right 8-[ we cant all by £3k rev3 .. end of the day rev1/2 are 1.3 to £1.5k :thumleft: great starter kit :thumleft: .. being told you should have bought a rev3 is pretty dark and not helpful

Dude, nice rev 2 turbos are 3k! I paid 2850 for mine and it's in lovely condition. Rev3+ are 4-6k! I assume you're talking about turbos, right?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

mr299ron wrote:
2mad wrote:
parker455 wrote:

I think it was just advice.. [-(

Was a bit harsh though parker i can see why he was angry .. if i read the posts right 8-[ we cant all by £3k rev3 .. end of the day rev1/2 are 1.3 to £1.5k :thumleft: great starter kit :thumleft: .. being told you should have bought a rev3 is pretty dark and not helpful

Dude, nice rev 2 turbos are 3k! I paid 2850 for mine and it's in lovely condition. Rev3+ are 4-6k! I assume you're talking about turbos, right?

Yeah 7 years ago now mate , i payed 1200 quid for mine .. if you want any tuning tips , i did everything i could think of to mine .. ill help you out ... go rev1/2's :D

Didnt know prices for turbos had sky rocketed 8-[
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

2mad wrote:
mr299ron wrote:
2mad wrote:

Yeah 7 years ago now mate , i payed 1200 quid for mine .. if you want any tuning tips , i did everything i could think of to mine .. ill help you out ... go rev1/2's :D

Didnt know prices for turbos had sky rocketed 8-[

Yes please, always wanted to see other peoples opinions on the rev 1/2s please.

Im currently standard with an air filter, exhaust (still got cat) and mbc set at 0.9bar. I have an intercooler to fit. Its a rev 2
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

To be honest, on a revision 1/2 you'll end up spending more to get to 300bhp fly. I was not saying this in a snooty way. Just seem like penny wise pound foolish to me.

Extracting power is rarely cheap so it's good to start from a good foundation.
At the moment you want 260bhp odd but you will want more, all of us do.

Where as a rev 3 owner can get away relatively easy and cheaply to 300bhp fly. You will need...

Metal HG
Rev 3 fueling
CT20b turbo
Some sort of ecu piggyback.

This was all i was outlining
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

However first thing I'd do is get a bigger intercooler and FIRST get a boost gauge. Very important
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Ok ..

stage one mods , airfilter, 3"free-flow exhaust and downpipe. and 4" intercooler kit.
ct20b .. this is a must .. plus i ported the wastegate and manifold.
Hks vpc (map sensor rev3 upgrade) and afc .. tuned by wideband to 10.8afr
fpr to help with tuning.
mines ecu for boost maps to 1.2bar.
water/meth 50/50 injection.
Hks evc 5 on 1.1 to 1.2bar.

All in 300 hp .. i think i got close 8-[ .. wish id dynoed it :cyclops:

Think thats it .. had a hks bov .. part from that , that was my setup... best of luck rev1/2's can shift too :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Odin_S wrote:To be honest, on a revision 1/2 you'll end up spending more to get to 300bhp fly. I was not saying this in a snooty way. Just seem like penny wise pound foolish to me.

Extracting power is rarely cheap so it's good to start from a good foundation.
At the moment you want 260bhp odd but you will want more, all of us do.

Where as a rev 3 owner can get away relatively easy and cheaply to 300bhp fly. You will need...

Metal HG
Rev 3 fueling
CT20b turbo
Some sort of ecu piggyback.

This was all i was outlining

Never did the mhg in 5 years .. and it held ... not that this is a smart thing to do 8-[

Yeah sorry mate just seemed reading between the lines your comment "should have bought a rev3" was a bit dark 8-[ to a rev1/2 owner .
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

I'm saying in the long run you'll be spending more for the power.

If you are doing this over years of tuning that ok. I think you got luck 2mad. An ECU alone is £500+

How much can you get with just changing the ct26 to a CT20b?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Odin_S wrote:I'm saying in the long run you'll be spending more for the power.

If you are doing this over years of tuning that ok. I think you got luck 2mad. An ECU alone is £500+

How much can you get with just changing the ct26 to a CT20b?

Yeah that was my journey .. i could not aford 3k for a rev3 but 1.2k for a rev1/2 was on the cards ... a ct20b on a rev1/2 can see the same 300fly hp as a rev3 you just have to work harder for it .. payed 300 for my mines and blitz ecu's had both over the life of the car .
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Ive been looking for a hks vpc for quite a while as want to get rid of the afm but dont seem to see them anymore. Plus wanna run a dv without upsetting the fuelling.

Just remembered, also got a decat to fit in the garage. Id want to fit a ct20b at the same time or maybe a ct26hybrid - something that will hold boost to the redline.
Thats one thing i noticed on track - the boost dropping as soon as you raise the revs with the ct26 :(
2mad

Post by 2mad »

markstevieandmads wrote:Ive been looking for a hks vpc for quite a while as want to get rid of the afm but dont seem to see them anymore. Plus wanna run a dv without upsetting the fuelling.

Just remembered, also got a decat to fit in the garage. Id want to fit a ct20b at the same time or maybe a ct26hybrid - something that will hold boost to the redline.
Thats one thing i noticed on track - the boost dropping as soon as you raise the revs with the ct26 :(

C .. T .. 20 .. B .. You have to have one .. screw hybids there bunk .. had a blitz .. vpc's are rare if you find one ill help finding a chip and install .. pm me :thumleft:
tsango

Post by tsango »

2mad wrote:
parker455 wrote:I bought a rev2 to start with, moving onto a rev3. Learnt everything with it and it never let me down.

I've nothing against them as that's exactly what I did with my first mk2 turbo! :)

:thumleft: ... I have atot of love for the rev1/2 .. there great cars can be had for peanuts .. and a ct20b and a few tweeks later can really haul ass :thumleft:

Like I said earlier, I bought a Rev 1 engine myself, but I did get the Rev 3 upgrades, like ecu, injectors...and whatever other gubbins you need. Peter did the work, I don't confess to be a mechanic.

I was going to stay with the ct26 turbo but there was a fault with it so was forced to change it so got a ct20. I have to say though, I feel the ct26 turbo is a bit more fun on the streets...

Thing is with the Rev 3 upgrades, it's all or nothing really, so you have to buy everything in one go barring the head and the turbo.

Even I am thinking I should have just bought a Rev 3 engine now though, but like already stated, it was cheaper to do it this way, and my engine was stripped down and all seals, gaskets and bearings replaced ect...so in the end it was expensive but done properly.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

2mad wrote:
markstevieandmads wrote:Ive been looking for a hks vpc for quite a while as want to get rid of the afm but dont seem to see them anymore. Plus wanna run a dv without upsetting the fuelling.

C .. T .. 20 .. B .. You have to have one .. screw hybids there bunk .. had a blitz .. vpc's are rare if you find one ill help finding a chip and install .. pm me :thumleft:

I guess its right if you want a straight bolt on no alterations required job.

re this.
Are we ruling out then Garrett conversions or a exotic KKK job in favour of a ct20b :?: :-k :whistle:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

masterbateson wrote:
2mad wrote:

I guess its right if you want a straight bolt on no alterations required job.

re this.
Are we ruling out then Garrett conversions or a exotic KKK job in favour of a ct20b :?: :-k :whistle:

No course not but a ct20b will unleash the mr2 turbo full potential on a stock mota for a very low price .. if you want 320hp or more then other turbos are available :thumleft:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

can you do a swap to c20b on any rev?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

masterbateson wrote:can you do a swap to c20b on any rev?

Yes mate .. had one on my rev1/2 worked great :thumleft:
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Well thats something else to be on the hunt for.

Did they use those in any other cars, to make the scrap heap hunting easier.

I think I can guess what the answer is though.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

I find it amazing how so many people write off higher boost pressures on a gen2. I stripped mine down way back when, got original O/S pistons from toyota, installed new belts, pumps, pulleys and tensioners, had a freeflowing exhaust, measured the injector flow using a beaker and stopwatch, drove it in nice an smoothly for almost a 1000 kilometers, then upped the boost bit by bit to 17psi.....had no problems hanging with stock gen3 at all. Did all that for 4 years with an untuned CT26 and a stock gen2 headgasket and gave it the beans on the german autobahn too (best was 30min full throttle!). Took the motor apart again as part of my new project and everything was spick and span!

If you make sure the bloody thing is in perfect working order before upping boost and then do so slowly then i refuse to believe a blown HG or broken ring land is going to be a fact.
Last edited by mr2magic on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Did the same thing magic for 5 years and if it was not for a tree im sure it would still be going.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”