Mechanical Boost Gauge

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr299ron

Mechanical Boost Gauge

Post by mr299ron »

So I've just bought a mechanical boost gauge. I know where to install the gauge for the pressure, however I need to find a good power source for the backlight and how to do it.

Could I have some clear help from you guys?

Cheers
99ron
parker455

Re: Mechanical Boost Gauge

Post by parker455 »

Cigarette lighter +12V or behind the dash clocks. Shinny has a good post on the OC about gauge wiring, have a gander here:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/41/160627.html

:thumleft:
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

Awesome, so it's just a matter of stripping the wires mentioned and adding the boost gauge's wires to them? :D
parker455

Post by parker455 »

Yep! Just make sure you get a good earth and you should be good to go!
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

Awesome, thanks bud!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I found a wire that only went live with my lights on and hooked to that :thumleft:
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

Okay so I setup the gauge with the cigarette lighter wires. Easy as p1$$, just bodged on some spade connectors and wedged them in the plastic bracket that connects to the back of the lighter, then to keep them together I just taped them up. Sorted.

Took off the factory vaccum line from the boost sensor to the manifold and put my new hose on the manifold where the stock hose used to be.

Now, I know that when the car is cold/wastegate pressure it's supposed to be about 7psi. Now when the car had warmed up fully and the ecu allowed more boost, the gauge still read 7 maybe 8 psi.

I could swear the car was a little bit slower than it usually is.

Any advice?

And also, the gauge is reading 20-25 inhg at idle and when off throttle and moving it reads 30.. is this normal?

99ron
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Sounds about right .. 11.0 to 12.0psi on boost your looking for .. up it to 15psi with a fcd ... have fun :thumleft:
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

But it's not reading anywhere near 10, only about 7psi!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

mr299ron wrote:But it's not reading anywhere near 10, only about 7psi!

7SSI is actator pressure mate .. spot on .. vsv should when walmed up hit 11.0psi .. investigation is needed mate.
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

Yeah I know that, as the car is evidently slower when cold, and then faster when warmed up.

However, when colder it just seemed to read 7 or lower (which i thought was fine) but then warmed up it wouldn't read much past 7.5 or maybe even 8psi :/
2mad

Post by 2mad »

mr299ron wrote:Yeah I know that, as the car is evidently slower when cold, and then faster when warmed up.

However, when colder it just seemed to read 7 or lower (which i thought was fine) but then warmed up it wouldn't read much past 7.5 or maybe even 8psi :/

Warmed up should be 11psi or more mate .. check your vsv .
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Your stock boost control is not working and or the ECU thinks the engine is still cold via the ecu temp sensor.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

Thanks bob, I'll have to get an mbc fitted soon and see.
danjama

Post by danjama »

And change your ecu temp sensor, as it's probably not been done since 1998.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

danjama wrote:And change your ecu temp sensor, as it's probably not been done since 1998.

Yeah should have checked that #-o
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

But the thing is the car is noticeably different between cold and warm. The gauge reads 5 psi when cold and 8 psi when warm. The car feels noticeably different. I honestly think it's just a bad gauge now, as the difference in figures is the same from cold to warm.

I.e on my gauge it's 5 to 8 psi

the car should be showing 7 to 10 psi

Why would the car show 5psi, then up it 8 degrees when warm? Timing out?
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

Come to think of it, I think there's an issue with the vsv and/or spring that releases the boost pressure.

I reckon it's a little worn and won't open up as it should.

I'm going to install an MBC and disable vsv and see what happens.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

danjama wrote:And change your ecu temp sensor, as it's probably not been done since 1998.

re this above.

Is this the temp sensor on the engine bay hood/cover or something else? if so where is said beast?

In the mission to make mine run at its best, on my list of things to change are (ignition leads,coil pack,knock sensor) and now maybe one of these ecu temp sensors.
By coil pack i mean the doofrey that feeds the dizzy.
Dizzy and rotor plus plugs already been swapped.
mr299ron

Post by mr299ron »

masterbateson wrote:

re this above.

Is this the temp sensor on the engine bay hood/cover or something else? if so where is said beast?

In the mission to make mine run at its best, on my list of things to change are (ignition leads,coil pack,knock sensor) and now maybe one of these ecu temp sensors.
By coil pack i mean the doofrey that feeds the dizzy.
Dizzy and rotor plus plugs already been swapped.

This is the green ECU temp sensor and not dash sensor. I know where this is.

I have replaced plugs thus far, in terms of ignition. Looking to get a distributor cap and rotor arm soon. HT leads last once all is replaced.

But the thing is I don't think the car is underboosting because of all reasons mentioned above. I just think that the wastegate's spring is weak and allows air to pass through whilst the spring is supposed to be shut.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”