Mixing tyres F+R (deliberately)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2mad

Re: Mixing tyres F+R (deliberately)

Post by 2mad »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
CalMac wrote:Yes but the handling was fine before I fitted AD08R's, which is why I'm assuming it's twitchy as a result of them.. Changing tyres doesn't affect geometry.

Or perhaps fitting very grippy tires up front as simply exposed poor setup elsewhere?

MR2's are very sensitive to poor geo. You've got properly staggered AD08R's - that would not cause problems. If you geometry is decent, the handling should be fantastic with that setup.

Yeah agreed with gazza ... you should have great handling mate O:)
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Most people probably would say the handling is fantastic, I just want to improve it further :mrgreen:

It's difficult to say really as it's obviously subjective how somebody would rate a car, but I think it's tricky to get the best out of AD08's on the road. On the rare occasion I've actually managed to warm them up on a night drive they're absolutely bonkers and the car is fantastic, the tramlining seems to decrease with speed too :lol: Not much fun in the pouring rain at night though :pale:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

CalMac wrote:Not much fun in the pouring rain at night though :pale:

Welcome to owning an mr2 .. i ended up in a tree pushing it .. trust me i know ](*,)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Indeed, they are very much a summer / dry weather tyre. The AD08R can get away with a bit of rain, but it simply can't clear standing water like a regular road tyre can. As you said, temperature is also an issue.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Ref exposing poor setup elsewhere, that could be the driver :whistle:

The MR2 is a challenging car, I'm constantly trying different lines, braking points etc. but I still wouldn't say I'm anywhere near good at driving it. It's a car that really requires some quality bonding time :lol:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

CalMac wrote:Ref exposing poor setup elsewhere, that could be the driver :whistle:

The MR2 is a challenging car, I'm constantly trying different lines, braking points etc. but I still wouldn't say I'm anywhere near good at driving it. It's a car that really requires some quality bonding time :lol:

Yeah you might just be pushing to hard .. once you learn its boundries its a very rewarding car ... in the DRY :wink:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

And they handle so much better with the Rev 1 rear subframe fitted.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
2mad

Post by 2mad »

bobhatton wrote:And they handle so much better with the Rev 1 rear subframe fitted.

Yeah rev1 subs grip and grip .. till they dont #-o
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Tbf I've never really had the back step out on AD08's, not unexpectedly anyway. If it does it'll just be low speed sharp cornering ie. roundabouts or hairpins and that's because I'll maybe encourage it :lol:

I just find that the MR2 enjoys a nice steady, swooping driving line - often using both lanes wherever possible (a lot easier at night!). Smooth car 8)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”