Mixing tyres F+R (deliberately)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CalMac

Mixing tyres F+R (deliberately)

Post by CalMac »

Currently running AD08R's all round, fronts are almost at the limit but rears still have 5/6mm.

What's the consensus on using different tyres F+R on an MR2 turbo?

I found that the AD08R's tramline quite badly, so am tempted to try something like Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 on the front but stick with the AD08R's on the rear. This should in theory make the front end more compliant as the steering tyres will be softer and more suitable for road-only use.

Fitted camber bolts last month and they've reduced the twitchiness massively, very impressed with the difference they made but still find the front end is a bit wayward especially when the AD08R's are cold (which are they are most of the time with all the morons pottering about my favourite B-roads) :evil:

AND before somebody says it, this isn't a cost cutting scheme - it would be cheaper for me to replace the front with another set of AD08R's, I'm just wanting to try a different combo and see if the handling can be tuned to how I'd like it!
bobhatton

Re: Mixing tyres F+R (deliberately)

Post by bobhatton »

What size wheels and tyres are you on?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

205/45/16 and 225/45/16 on 7J and 8J TE37's
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

CalMac wrote:205/45/16 and 225/45/16 on 7J and 8J TE37's

Ok, great

Have you had a 4 wheel alignment done on the car?
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

About a year ago at WIM, worth getting done again? I've fitted Koni yellows and Eibach springs since, hated the old coilovers that came fitted - not sure if that would affect geometry?
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

CalMac wrote:About a year ago at WIM, worth getting done again? I've fitted Koni yellows and Eibach springs since, hated the old coilovers that came fitted - not sure if that would affect geometry?

Yes massively! Get it set up again ASAP and then buy some more AD08's

Not worth mixing tyres on a mr2 it would make it feel really unstable!

:thumleft:
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

It's felt unstable ever since I fitted the AD08's though :lol:
nathan.z

Post by nathan.z »

I'm about to discover what a new set of AD08r's on the rears and old Falkens on the front will feel like...I'll let you know how it goes..
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Sounds like exactly the sort of feedback I need Nathan :thumleft:
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

CalMac wrote:It's felt unstable ever since I fitted the AD08's though :lol:

what geo settings did you go for? This might be your problem
Angpozzuto

Post by Angpozzuto »

Would adjusting the tyre pressures help make it more compliant
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Geo was set up before tyres, and I think i just asked for a fast road setup so not certain. I've printed out recommended geo settings I found a while ago, someone had linked them on here but can't find the print out now #-o

I'm currently running 31PSI F and 33PSI R after a bit of trial and error :thumleft: Beginning to think that the front end of an MR2 is always going to feel a bit unstable, just due to the lack of weight over the front..
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

CalMac wrote: Beginning to think that the front end of an MR2 is always going to feel a bit unstable, just due to the lack of weight over the front..

No, not at all.
We have removed every bit of weight including the big steel bumper bar from our sprint cars and they corner like on rails. It is all down to the setup.

Just get it done again but with the stock settings and try dropping the pressure. I am sure we only run 24 psi on the front.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

CalMac wrote:About a year ago at WIM, worth getting done again? I've fitted Koni yellows and Eibach springs since, hated the old coilovers that came fitted - not sure if that would affect geometry?

You've done major suspension work and not even got the geo checked after? Any change to ride height affects camber, and any change to camber affects toe. That, combined with the camber bolts, means that your front toe is almost certainly WAY out.

Get that sorted first.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

I had a standard alignment done a couple of months ago at a local tyre place, but been meaning to get a proper geo setup for a while.

Is there any more to be said about mixing tyres or is everybody going to just keep banging on about geometry? :lol:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

You're complaining about poor handling and a nervous front end, and you don't know if your geometry is set up well. That's where you should be looking first. That's why everyone is 'banging on' about it.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Yes but the handling was fine before I fitted AD08R's, which is why I'm assuming it's twitchy as a result of them.. Changing tyres doesn't affect geometry.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

My front end was always point and shoot solid .. no under-steer even on s1ht tiers .. take it to a pro and see whats the what :thumleft:

At one point i had toyo rear and nankag front ... the front never missed a beat .. when i had toyo on i felt a difference but i was not earth-shattering =;
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Well hopefully the fronts will last a couple more weeks so I can go get the geometry sorted properly, and then I'll go from there with tyre choice :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

CalMac wrote:Yes but the handling was fine before I fitted AD08R's, which is why I'm assuming it's twitchy as a result of them.. Changing tyres doesn't affect geometry.

Or perhaps fitting very grippy tires up front as simply exposed poor setup elsewhere?

MR2's are very sensitive to poor geo. You've got properly staggered AD08R's - that would not cause problems. If you geometry is decent, the handling should be fantastic with that setup.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”