opinions on decats, smokey/smelly???

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

drunknmunky

opinions on decats, smokey/smelly???

Post by drunknmunky »

hi all, have a rev 5 n/a, just fitted my shiny mongoose back end along with a decat pipe today, I knew it would not be as efficient as having a cat in there but oh my god, how smoky??
got a good seal on the joins, but it smokes like crazy! let it tick over for 15 minutes to harden the exhaust paste (used sparingly, not filled the pipes with it) then went for a drive, literally couldn't see where I'd just come from in the mirrors!!
whitey brown ish smoke on tick over, changing to whitey blue on hard throttle. is this normal (guessing not)!
incidentally, I never had any smoke at all before changing the exhaust, this is not a long time issue, is just since I fitted said pipes!
also it stinks to high heaven, never have I smelt an engine smell so bad.
Any and all thoughts welcome please people
SonicSW20

Re: opinions on decats, smokey/smelly???

Post by SonicSW20 »

What does it smell of?

Is it a brand new exhaust? It's not unheard of for new systems to still have oil / fluid in them from the manufacturing process. This will burn off when the exhaust is up to temperature.

A catalytic converter doesn't do anything for smoke, so removing that wouldn't have caused it.
drunknmunky

Post by drunknmunky »

No its second hand, but I'm having a cat put in it a,s we speak, as couldn't stand the smell, was like really bad eggs! And its mot time in a month anyway, so would need one in for then
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

drunknmunky wrote:No its second hand, but I'm having a cat put in it a,s we speak, as couldn't stand the smell, was like really bad eggs! And its mot time in a month anyway, so would need one in for then

That's really odd - normally a rotten egg smell is indicative of a failing / failed catalytic converter. You don't have one at all!
JD

Post by JD »

What did you have for dinner yesterday? :lol:
drunknmunky

Post by drunknmunky »

Thats why I thought it was odd aswell!! And didn't eat yesterday, forgot cos I was too busy drilling out the old rusty exhaust bolts from the old standard system :-/
Last edited by drunknmunky on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

2nd hand exhaust, potentially full of the previous owners failed engined deposits? coolant/oil....

maybe it will burn off in time
JD

Post by JD »

would a blast through with carb cleaner help?
drunknmunky

Post by drunknmunky »

It does seem to be clearing up as I'm using it, but still smoky after 30miles Mr so. Will give it some lead foot on the way home from work, try and burn it out.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Egg smell is not a bad cat.

Its fine probs just oil deposits.... It'll go

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”