[Mk2] [Turbo] ferrari f430 replica

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] ferrari f430 replica

Post by Race Idiot »

rev3turbo wrote:I personally dont think the 2GRFE is all that, I currently have one and im having some major issues with it.

The quality doesnt seem to be the best... Toyota/Lexus have done better imo

I'd still say its a better motor than the 80's boatanchor that is the 3sgte. Although thats not saying much.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

i have both, both have pro's and cons..

id rather have the 3sgte though. personal preference and all that...
craig

Post by craig »

I'm a bigger fan personally of forced induction over na so would choose the 3sgte over a v6 na.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

You guys definitely don't pull punches! I laughed at some of these comments :lol:

Mike i would save your money and get a proper MR2 kit. The money you're going to use for the replica could be used for a nice kit like SARD, Kei Office or Do-Luck.

Just keep it classy, i wasn't a fan of many MR2 kits so i went for one of the only ones i like Do Luck. I love it's look and exclusivity.

Here is mine and some pictures of good kitted 2s first are of mine

C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Ferrari reps are seriously uncool, what are you looking at for something borderline convincing (in the dark, at 50mph) £15k? For that you could have some genuinely impressive metal - 500+ bhp skyline gtr/evo/supra etc, a myriad of huge engined mercs, a nice porsche 996, an e60 M5 etc etc

I just don't get it #-o
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:

I just don't get it #-o

Me nether Rob .. i just dont find them that convincing =;
micarus

kit mr2

Post by micarus »

[quote="Odin_S"]You guys definitely don't pull punches! I laughed at some of these comments :lol:

Mike i would save your money and get a proper MR2 kit. The money you're going to use for the replica could be used for a nice kit like SARD, Kei Office or Do-Luck.

Just keep it classy, i wasn't a fan of many MR2 kits so i went for one of the only ones i like Do Luck. I love it's look and exclusivity.
Nice car Odin , I realize I could buy a nice mr2 and I could get a nice look like yours but I,m still going ahead with the F430 as it's almost the same wheelbase and the kit I am getting is a real cracker so if folk" don't get it " that's fine but I have always gone my own way and as I can't afford a real f430 I will put up with the snide remarks , maybe if they open their eyes and check out some of the good kits they might realize their not all rubbish.
I don't slag anyone who loves beautiful cars kit or real ,if they are prepared to put in the hard work and the end result is nice looking and fast that's good enough for me.

Your hard work probably upsets the purists but I bet it doesn't bother you.
Cheers MIKE.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

So much nice bodykit stuff to mix and mach from .. spend the rest on getting it down the road quicker .. just my 2p 8-[
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

True it's your car and money. Possibly if your keep the car for ages I'd agree.

Just don't expect it to be worth £26k or something daft like that like every owner who's done this used to do with the Ferrari 355 kit.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... ca/4637833

Even worse, this car is the underperformer MK3...

Well good luck, can see you have a thick skin already. :)

Can i ask, as i rarely get to ask someone who's done this, do you do this for yourself or for the looks? Also what do you do when an enthusiast wants a closer look?
VGB

Post by VGB »

I like the look of a Ferrari. The kits can look good if taken as a body kit and not so much trying to pass as a genuine Ferrari. I like the idea of doing the kit but not having the Ferrari badges but sticking the mk1 or mk3 mr2 badge on the front. Having the glass engine cover with a nice toyota v6 in there with a few shiny bits for good measure! But hey is your car so what you want. Would still like to see the build progress.
micarus

f430 conversion

Post by micarus »

2mad wrote:So much nice bodykit stuff to mix and mach from .. spend the rest on getting it down the road quicker .. just my 2p 8-[

Know what you mean Odin but at 72 and disabled this car, mk 2 rev 2 with 250 bhp is well quick enough for me I just love the 430 looks .
I don't expect to get any more than the cost when I finaly sell it ,I just need a project to keep me occupied.

Cheers MIKE. :)
craig

Re: f430 conversion

Post by craig »

micarus wrote:
2mad wrote:So much nice bodykit stuff to mix and mach from .. spend the rest on getting it down the road quicker .. just my 2p 8-[

Know what you mean Odin but at 72 and disabled this car, mk 2 rev 2 with 250 bhp is well quick enough for me I just love the 430 looks .
I don't expect to get any more than the cost when I finaly sell it ,I just need a project to keep me occupied.

72 years old and driving an MR2 turbo! Love it! :salut:
micarus

f430 conversion

Post by micarus »

VGB wrote:I like the look of a Ferrari. The kits can look good if taken as a body kit and not so much trying to pass as a genuine Ferrari. I like the idea of doing the kit but not having the Ferrari badges but sticking the mk1 or mk3 mr2 badge on the front. Having the glass engine cover with a nice toyota v6 in there with a few shiny bits for good measure! But hey is your car so what you want. Would still like to see the build progress.

thanks for positive reply VGB but you won't see a v6 when you look through the rear window , wait and see :lol:

This car is for fun and not to be taken too seriously as a Ferrari but I do like to get things right so we'll see eh!

May post some pics next year when finished if it's not going to offend the purists < and even if it does!> .

CHEERS MIKE. :lol:
VGB

Post by VGB »

Def put some pics up. Do a build thread I'm sure I won't be the only one wanting to see your progress. :thumleft:
2mad

Re: f430 conversion

Post by 2mad »

RedMR² wrote:
micarus wrote:

72 years old and driving an MR2 turbo! Love it! :salut:

72 :shock: man after my own hart :clap:
Torero

Post by Torero »

Good luck to you Mike ...... and back to the original question which seems to have been lost a little .... feel free to post up some pictures and log your progress.

Recently, I saw a 430 coupe rep parked outside Harrods (I live nearby and see the authentic ones on a daily basis) and if I'm brutally honest it was awful, despite an excellent paint job and good build quality the back end by the quarter lights was too 'squashed' it reminded me of the Datsun Cherry from the 70s but moreover it certainly didn't look like a 430. On the other hand the DNA Spyder kit is far more convincing (if the interior package is fitted) so for the same effort/expense and a bit of attention to detail you can get something that is far closer to the real thing.

I've helped build a 355 replica and the challenge is really enjoyable and very rewarding. The finished item wasn't massively convicing in my eyes but the journey was unforgettable. At your time of life (and with a disability to boot) a pastime like this would be ideal and so much better than sitting about on your @rse getting old.

So get on with it and post plenty of pictures, I take my hat off to you and hope I can still be as motivated when I get to my later years. :clap:

John.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
micarus

f430 conversion

Post by micarus »

Will try to put up pictures when I start in the new year .
The 360 is a mile out and I wouldn't bother but the 430 is about 4" shorter 1" taller and the same width <with spacers > so close enough . My car is not a minter so happy to change it !

micarus

f430 rep'

Post by micarus »

Thanks John , always good to get a little encouragement.

Cheers MIKE. :D
Torero

Re: f430 rep'

Post by Torero »

micarus wrote:Thanks John , always good to get a little encouragement.

Cheers MIKE. :D
My pleasure buddy :thumleft:
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Gordy75

Post by Gordy75 »

I also think fair play to you and would like to watch a build thread on this when it starts. I'm not a fan of the replica idea mainly because of people's motives behind it! But looking at it as a body kit you like changes a lot in my mind, I keep thinking about putting the 355 front bumper on as it does look good but at no point will there be a Ferrari logo anywhere near my car.

Good luck to you and I will keep an eye out for the build!

Return to “Modifications”