[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch Pedal Dropping

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike

[Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch Pedal Dropping

Post by Mike »

Hi guys, tried the search but nothing came up.

After a recent rolling road session I've discovered that the clutch pedal drops to the point where the range of movement is only an inch or so.

I have to stick my foot under the pedal and pop it back up to its correct position.

It seems to do this if the clutch pedal is depressed for more than a couple of seconds whilst in gear. For example if stopping at a junction and selecting first.

Any suggestions as to what might be the cause. I do need to resolve this as there's no way of knowing if the pedal has dropped until you lift off the pedal, at which point it lurches forward!

As an aside, the clutch doesn't seem to be excessively worn, theres no slipping and the biting point is still some way from the top.

Cheers,

Mike
dan4

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Clutch Pedal Dropping

Post by dan4 »

Clutch fluid level ok?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

check for leaks, if you know for certain the clutch isn't ruined then it has to be hydraulics. check for leaks around the master and slave cylinder, i had a similar problem on a rx8, turned out the clutch plate was ruined.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Most likely master cylinder overhaul kit needed. About £25 from MrT.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Just checked the reservoir (to the right of the brake fluid reservoir I take it?) and the level seems fine. The fluid does look very dark and quite thick though, I assume it should look as fresh as my brake fluid.

Couldn't see any signs of leaks.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Mike wrote:Just checked the reservoir (to the right of the brake fluid reservoir I take it?) and the level seems fine. The fluid does look very dark and quite thick though, I assume it should look as fresh as my brake fluid.

The seals slowly discolour the fluid as they get old. As i said, most likely new seal kit needed.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Mike wrote:Just checked the reservoir (to the right of the brake fluid reservoir I take it?) and the level seems fine. The fluid does look very dark and quite thick though, I assume it should look as fresh as my brake fluid.

The seals slowly discolour the fluid as they get old. As i said, most likely new seal kit needed.

Sounds like thats probably a tricky job for an amateur.
danjama

Post by danjama »

Mike, did you ever resolve this? Having very similar on my Rev 2 turbo.
Mike

Post by Mike »

danjama wrote:Mike, did you ever resolve this? Having very similar on my Rev 2 turbo.

Sorry mate, not on here very often these days. To answer your question, yes I did get it sorted back in 2012. Rogue installed a new seal kit to the clutch master cylinder whilst the car was in for other unrelated work.

However, it looks like my slave cylinder now needs replacing http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=186107 :mad:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Master cylinder .. didnt read the posts 8-[ ... happened to me ](*,)
danjama

Post by danjama »

Mike wrote:
danjama wrote:Mike, did you ever resolve this? Having very similar on my Rev 2 turbo.

Sorry mate, not on here very often these days. To answer your question, yes I did get it sorted back in 2012. Rogue installed a new seal kit to the clutch master cylinder whilst the car was in for other unrelated work.

However, it looks like my slave cylinder now needs replacing http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=186107 :mad:

Thanks for the info Mike :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

When i did mine i found one of the slave cylinder bolts had rattled lose .. that was not helping .. worth a look .

Return to “Mechanical”