Some noob questions for MR2 Newbie

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ghosty999

Some noob questions for MR2 Newbie

Post by ghosty999 »

Hi all, new to the forum and the MR2 mk2 rev 5.

I'm looking for a few bits of advice.

1. Where can I locate a new gator and gear knob? Will an E-bay MR2 knob and a gator from a Miata work?

2. Any advice on replacing speakers all round? They are all shot in the MR2 I've bought. What size and is it just a copper wire soldering job?

3. Getting a rhythmic screaming noise coming that takes 10 seconds to fade out. Coming from what I think is the power steering... I've heard this is a common fault?

4. Really sticky 1st gear, basically if I want to drop from 3rd to first whilst rolling its near impossible.

Thanks in advanced for your knowledge and help!
jimGTS

Re: Some noob questions for MR2 Newbie

Post by jimGTS »

ghosty999 wrote:Hi all, new to the forum and the MR2 mk2 rev 5.

1. Where can I locate a new gator and gear knob? Will an E-bay MR2 knob and a gator from a Miata work?

2. Any advice on replacing speakers all round? They are all shot in the MR2 I've bought. What size and is it just a copper wire soldering job?

3. Getting a rhythmic screaming noise coming that takes 10 seconds to fade out. Coming from what I think is the power steering... I've heard this is a common fault?

4. Really sticky 1st gear, basically if I want to drop from 3rd to first whilst rolling its near impossible.

1. why from a miata? why not just get something made for the mr2?

2. depends on what sort of speakers you want, whether you want crossovers, an amp, subs and things.
most people make some 6.5inch spacers and fit those up front.

3. where is the sound coming from?

4. try and rev match instead of trying to force the gear when rolling, should slip in no problem then.

welcome!
:mrgreen:
ghosty999

Post by ghosty999 »

jimGTS wrote:
ghosty999 wrote:Hi all, new to the forum and the MR2 mk2 rev 5.

1. why from a miata? why not just get something made for the mr2?

2. depends on what sort of speakers you want, whether you want crossovers, an amp, subs and things.
most people make some 6.5inch spacers and fit those up front.

3. where is the sound coming from?

4. try and rev match instead of trying to force the gear when rolling, should slip in no problem then.

welcome!
:mrgreen:

Cheers for the reply!

1. I've found that MR2Ben does gators so I'll grab one of them. I was struggling to find one on Ebay for the Mr2, the closest thing coming up was for the Miata

2. I just want stock speakers, not adding an amp or anything

3. The noise feels like it's coming from the power steering pump but I could be wrong as it's only happened 4 times. It's a very loud high pitched rhythmic whine

4. I'm guessing these are cable gear boxes? I never had a problem with them before like this, basically it wont go into first if I'm dropping to first from say 3rd. I'll try rev matching but the gear box just seems very stick (it is the original one)

Thanks for your help!
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

3. You get this when first turning ignition on and after alot of steering/coming to a stop?
ghosty999

Post by ghosty999 »

tiff_lee wrote:3. You get this when first turning ignition on and after alot of steering/coming to a stop?

I couldn't say exactly but yes that sounds pretty accurate to what's going on.
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

That's what happens on mine, power steering pump but i've not got round to removing it and inspecting the state of the motor as mine sounds like knackered bushes/bearings.

What's the power steering fluid level like?
ghosty999

Post by ghosty999 »

tiff_lee wrote:That's what happens on mine, power steering pump but i've not got round to removing it and inspecting the state of the motor as mine sounds like knackered bushes/bearings.

What's the power steering fluid level like?

The fluid is about 80% full. I've heard other cars parking around my area with the same issue. Praying it's not gear box related haha
Nic

Post by Nic »

ghosty999 wrote:4. I'm guessing these are cable gear boxes? I never had a problem with them before like this, basically it wont go into first if I'm dropping to first from say 3rd. I'll try rev matching but the gear box just seems very stick (it is the original one)

It could be the gear linkage bushes are worn http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=117

Also check the gear lever assembly, mine came with a poor quality short shift kit fitted which made gear changes very notchy. I've since swapped back to the stock which has made gear changes loads better.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Nic wrote:
ghosty999 wrote:4. I'm guessing these are cable gear boxes? I never had a problem with them before like this, basically it wont go into first if I'm dropping to first from say 3rd. I'll try rev matching but the gear box just seems very stick (it is the original one)

It could be the gear linkage bushes are worn http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=117

Also check the gear lever assembly, mine came with a poor quality short shift kit fitted which made gear changes very notchy. I've since swapped back to the stock which has made gear changes loads better.

As said above, the bush in the gearbox end of the cables gets worn and out of shape and affects the shift. Peter at sbits does a kit to replace the bushes with bearings i believe.

Also worth checking the condition of the brass cube attached to the shift mechanism on the gearbox. these can wear causing imprecise shifting. The fix is to turn the cube 90 degrees.
ghosty999

Post by ghosty999 »

Thanks for all the advice, had another go in it today, the power steering makes noises at the front near the pump and then the horrible noise stars usually when doing full lock to get out of parking spaces.

The stick gear issue I've tried to narrow down. Basically if I'm rolling at 20 towards a set of lights I can knock it into 2nd no problem but it's impossible to move it into 1st, it's like I'm locked out of that gear. So I took it up a quiet road and tried to force it into first rolling with clutch down fully and just got the horrible gear box grinding noise. Very odd!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

ghosty999 wrote:Thanks for all the advice, had another go in it today, the power steering makes noises at the front near the pump and then the horrible noise stars usually when doing full lock to get out of parking spaces.

The stick gear issue I've tried to narrow down. Basically if I'm rolling at 20 towards a set of lights I can knock it into 2nd no problem but it's impossible to move it into 1st, it's like I'm locked out of that gear. So I took it up a quiet road and tried to force it into first rolling with clutch down fully and just got the horrible gear box grinding noise. Very odd!

That sounds like the clutch is too low, try bleeding it first then you have ajustment on the pedal.
All the info is in the BGB
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
SwampyNZ

Post by SwampyNZ »

Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too.

Re the gear knob not sure if I'm right but a said 10/12mm adapter I got with a knockoff TRD gear knob didn't fit on my shifter lever and as a result I had to drive around shifting with that metal thing for a bit :mrgreen: Yup I broke my old gear knob and had to drive like that til I got a new one.

Anything that is 12mm should fit BUT if it's the screw type it should be 14mm if I'm correct. Then it will screw on. 12mm does not screw on to 12mm.

The new one had a plastic sleeve and came with three grub screws. It's a Sparco Corsa thing. Fit very very well. Only problem is it's aluminum and is currently very dull.

If you have a drill and a leather knob like my fake TRD one you could just drill three holes, add grub screws and plastic sleeve and it'll be sweet.
Mr Two

Post by Mr Two »

Hi Callum.. the noise from your steering is the belt when it is put under load. It may not be quite tight enough or the rubber may be going "brittle" with age...it is a very common fault with Mr twos..3 out of the 6 i've owned over the years have done this.
As regards the gearbox not going straight into 1st from 2nd,i wouldn't like to do that or you will knacker the gearbox tbh.But if you really "need" to do this,you should double de-clutch. Why the need to go from 3rd to 1st though ? Why not 2nd from 3rd ? You need to treat the gearbox with respect and it will last for a long time.it is a v nice gearbox on yours at the mo..
All the best....Dave
ghosty999

Post by ghosty999 »

I sorted the squealing noise, seemed to be a slipping belt when starting up from cold. All sorted! Exhaust is all welded up and the mechanic said it's the mesh on the gear box that could be the issue. The 3rd to 1st drops are when rolling into a junction, not for thrashing it!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”