[Mk2] [NA] Lumpy at low revs - ignition components?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheLepresean

[Mk2] [NA] Lumpy at low revs - ignition components?

Post by TheLepresean »

Hi all,

My car has become very lumpy while driving around town at low revs, I'm guessing this is likely to be down to ignition components so plan to do a bit of an overhaul - plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads etc. and was looking for suggestions on what to go for in terms of brands. Car isn't tracked or anything like that, so doesn't need to be anything extreme - but don't want to be scrimping either. Eurocarparts brings up very different looking parts when searching by my reg number so want to make sure I buy the right bits!

TIA :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Lumpy at low revs - ignition components?

Post by SonicSW20 »

Honestly, go OE Toyota where possible. It costs more, but they do last longer. Try TCB parts, their prices are pretty reasonable. Saying that, I had Magnecor HT leads on my old MR2 - they seemed fine to me! Not that much cheaper than OE ones though.

For plugs, I've always used NGK BKR6EIX. A bit pricey, but they do last a long time, so it's worth it IMO.
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Whew, Toyota stuff is a bit pricey having had a look on TCB! Might just get some plugs first and see if that fixes the problem, and then splurge on the rest if need be.

Are these the plugs you mean:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyot ... b7a&000301
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Those are the BKR6EP-8's, they are fine as well.

These are the ones I use:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m5b0s2386p117 ... 89_to_1999

Bit cheaper than the ECP ones.

The Toyota ones are expensive, but they do last. I've read a lot of issues with pattern HT leads. Theres a few reports of issues with Magnecor leads, I never had a problem though. Some of the pattern parts might be fine, do a bit of research first. You don't want to end up buying OE parts anyway because the pattern ones are a bit rubbish!
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

I have some na leads from a working rev2 na that you can test with if you want and then give me some cash for them (whatever you feel is right) after if they sort problem?
If not send them back - I'm not using them so was gonna sell them.

Offers there let me know dude,

Cheers, dan
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Thanks Gareth, I'll have to get some of those, as soon as they're back in stock!

Really appreciate the offer Dan, but I have a Rev5 and it's my understanding that Rev1/2 leads are different to 3/4/5? Thank you anyway :thumleft:
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Hi Gareth,

Been driven to looking on eBay for those plugs, are these the right ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-NGK-IRIDI ... 27d4a881ba

£28 seems a fair enough price :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Very reasonable :thumleft:

Hopefully it sorts your issue.

Did you manage to find some HT leads, distributor cap / arm?
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

I'll get them bought then! I'm gonna get the distributor cap and arm from my local Toyota garage, and hope it sorts the problem without having to go to the expense of new leads! Thanks for all your help! :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

No problem.

You can do a visual check on the cap and arm - they'll be very visibly worn if they are causing problems. If you're in any doubt replace of course!

It will also be worth checking the connections and grounds for the igniter and coil. IIRC, one of those components (possibly both?) actually ground through the bracket to the chassis so if the bracket is looking ropey that can cause problems. Check the connectors are nice and clean, they are known to corrode. If they aren't too pad then cleaning them up should suffice. Also check them for any signs of damage - a known issue is the casing on the coil can crack, which lets water in and causes problems.

If you have a multimeter, you can check the resistance of the HT leads and coil:

The HT leads should be no more than 25kΩ.

There's test values for everything that is testable in the BGB :thumleft:
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Thank you very much for all your help Gareth!!

One final question, while I'm at it I figure I might as well give the car a fairly thorough service - and was looking at fuel filters, not sure when mine would have been last changed and can't be bothered to look through all my files to find out so for the sake of less than a tenner and from what I gather a 20 minute job I'll change that too. My question is, is genuine Toyota necessary, or would the link below suffice?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Toyot ... c4d&000140

Sorry to be a pest, thanks for all the help!! :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I'm sure it will be fine. Would be interesting to know the price difference between that and a Toyota one, if it's still available. If a genuine one is less than £20, I'd be inclined to go with the genuine item as they don't need changing that often.

Return to “Mechanical”