Doesn't like the rain!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

robbie_742003

Doesn't like the rain!

Post by robbie_742003 »

Hi all, have recently developed a problem whereby the car wants to cut out if it's been raining. If it's really threw it down it won't start for a few minutes. All electrical/ignition bits have been changed in the last 12 to 18 months. Do i have a rain tray problem or would anyone have any other ideas please?
Cheers
pistol pete

Re: Doesn't like the rain!

Post by pistol pete »

defo gotta start with the dizzy cap.. make sure its okay.. even if its new could still be an issue if it has only just started..
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Is there not a issue with the ignitor cracking letting moisture in, worth a check?
Ginjaninja92

Post by Ginjaninja92 »

Yeah it could be the ignitor if thats not been changed? Did you replace the leads with good quality ones? If they're not the best quality they'll be thinly insulated and will short giving you starting/running problems.
rgb

Post by rgb »

I had one that did it. it was just a white connecting plug under the fuse box in the engine bay I had to reach down as far as my arm would go. and wiggle it about . the car would cut out in heavy rain and if I sat there for ten minutes the engine heat would dry it out. next time it does it , get your hand in and rattle all the wires.
benjo

Had similar problem

Post by benjo »

Had similar thing happen washed car drove fine for 2 mins then cut out and started miss firing,took coil pack and igniter off and found coil pack split and corroded,knock all plastic off and it was all rusting inside changed it car ran better than before problem started
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

I've replaced dizzy cap and rotor arm today so will wait for the next downpour ha ha! Coil is only about 12 months old so surely can't be a culprit yet?! Had plugs out too, look good with a light brown darkening.
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

Still getting this stuttering in the damp, surely a coil should last longer than 12 months?!
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

robbie_742003 wrote:Still getting this stuttering in the damp, surely a coil should last longer than 12 months?!

Make sure its earthing well as it earth's through the bracket. Might be worth sticking an extra earth cable on it too.
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

Cool, will have a look, cheers for the reply.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I've heard more often it being the king lead than anything else but obviously it could be the coil, igniter, dizzy cap or HT leads or a combination of some or it could be the whole lot. Change one bit at a time starting with the most likely or the cheapest/easiest to replace.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

I have had a king lead with a damaged end snapped that worked most of the time. I also had a cracked coil that I dried out then filled the cracks with rtv and still working 4 years on
Torero

Post by Torero »

sheppy wrote:I've heard more often it being the king lead than anything else.
Spot on Sheppy, it happened to me and I got exactly the same symptoms as Robbie is getting.

An easy first check is to get someone to turn the engine over whist dark and check for any arcs in the engine bay. My king lead lit up like the Northern Lights.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Totally man, of all the misfire posts i've seen the king lead has been the main culprit. Could easily be coincidence of course :thumleft:
benjo

Post by benjo »

Mine just done this replaced dizzy/leads/coil pack
Sorted :thumleft:
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

Cheers for the replies guys :thumleft:
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

Apologies for dragging this back up again. Got a wet weather problem myself but a little different. When my car is parked at home it's facing downwards on a slope and after there has been any significant rain it sounds exactly like an Impreza when I start it and there is sparks coming from where the king lead joins the dizzy cap (despite the dizzy cap being dry). Once some heat has dried the bay out a bit the car will run smoothly again. Could water in the region of the ignitor cause this?

So far it's had new dizzy cap, new rotor arm, new plugs, decent set of OE leads and a new coil.
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

Not sure about that, is the king lead a sure fitment on the cap?
Back to my bit anyway :wink: I've took coil and igniter off (both in good nick), cleaned up contact points to body and it has greatly improved the situation but still feels like it is jumping a bit in the damp :| I'll try putting another earth wire on next.
Can't think of anything else :-k
Rob
Willenium

Post by Willenium »

As far as I can tell, it is yes. Took off the bracket today and gave it a scrub where the ignitor meets it and did the same on the ignitor itself. Also decided to clean the faces where it bolts to the body of the car so there has to be a better earth. Definitely starts better but I got two massive shocks up my hand when I was adjusting the timing so back to the drawing board haha :oldtongue:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”