Sonic Shadow paint codes...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheLepresean

Sonic Shadow paint codes...

Post by TheLepresean »

A question spawned from a chat with a fellow member, what colour actually is Sonic Shadow??

The plate in the frunk states 2CE, which is obviously useless as there are plainly at least two colours involved. Generally, the colours given for it are Lucerne Silver (199) and Astral Black (202). However, the roof is not Astral Black (the mirrors and side strips seem to be though), as there is definitely a metallic-y sparkle to it in sunlight. The black on the roof was suggested as Panther Black Metallic (?) but a Google states this as a Ford colour?

Also, on some forums, the silver is given as Alpine Silver, and that Lucerne is just the 10th Anniversary cars, it's also been suggested that there are up to 5 shades of Lucerne Silver!! Just wondering if anyone has a definite set (at least 3 different) of paint codes?
Last edited by TheLepresean on Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSW20

Re: Sonic Shadow paint codes...

Post by SonicSW20 »

199 is correct for the silver - panels off a 10th Anni match up to a Rev4/5 Sonic Shadow.

I always thought it was Astral Black, only because that's what I'd read in a few places. You're right though, the roof definitely isn't. Could it be paint code 211, black diamond mica?
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

After further googling I'm being led to believe Alpine silver and Lucerne silver are two names for the same colour. Regarding the black, it's definitely a black mica of some form!!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Ok, if we assume this list is correct:

http://paintcode.co.uk/toyota-paint-codes-1019-0.html

Then it can't be 211.

Possible options are:

TOYOTA BLACK 202 1986 -
TOYOTA BLACK (INT.) 5667 1998 2000
TOYOTA BLACK BLUE PEARL 8E4 1990 -
TOYOTA BLACK 6A5 1988 -
TOYOTA BLACK 203 1988 2000
TOYOTA BLACK 204 1997 -
TOYOTA BLACK 205 1989 2000
TOYOTA BLACK PEARL 206 1989 -

That is of course assuming the years on that list are correct.
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Hmm no "mica" options, I guess it must be one of the pearl options? It's not just a standard black, that's for sure!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Looking on Google, 204 is metallic and 205 is satin metallic, whatever that is. Could be one of those maybe? I can't find anything for 203.
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

For anyone that's interested, I found out what the paint codes were at my paint shop the other day.

The silver *is* Lucerne 199, though due to different methods of manufacture by different paint companies they can look slightly different across brands - factor in degradation over the last however many years and the fact that silver is so difficult; it's not always an exact match.

There are two blacks, Astral 202 for the mirrors and rub strips, and "Metallic Black" 205 is the roof - which comes complete with the glittery flecks! :thumleft:
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Good work sean is the car still going ok?
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

Still going well! Bit lumpy at low revs, so about time for an ignition service I think - that and there's a bit of rust appearing in the bottom of the driver's door, looks like it's been repaired before and not very well, blocking up drain holes. But both of those will be done as soon as I get time!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

TheLepresean wrote:

There are two blacks, Astral 202 for the mirrors and rub strips, and "Metallic Black" 205 is the roof - which comes complete with the glittery flecks! :thumleft:

Good digging, I made an educated guess at 205 when I bought some touch up paint :)

Full name for 205 is Satin Black Metallic.
TheLepresean

Post by TheLepresean »

That's it! Couldn't quite remember the name from the guy's computer, taken me a good couple of years, multiple emails to Toyota (who were utterly useless fyi), and visits to a couple of paintshops - but finally have three paint codes! :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”