[Mk2] [Turbo] Help building turbo engine

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

paulharry

[Mk2] [Turbo] Help building turbo engine

Post by paulharry »

Hello 8)
My rev2 turbo has been off the road for the last couple of years as I've been very busy but in a couple of months I'm moving house to a house with a garage :D :clap: so its time to bring the 2 back to life I've put coilovers,intercooler,ct20 turbo,greddy turbo timer,blitz nur spec exhaust on it,its had new leather interior new steering wheel and boss I've got some rev3 lights(but might leave standard on,everyone seems to go rev3 but the original are growing on me now)new front bumper to fit but I can't remember its name,she is running mint but I still need to get a rear spoiler maybe gt2000 style free the brakes up(but going to do the bigger brake build later,get some sick deep dish wheels then get her painted m.o.t tax and insured then its ready to take out
I have a spare rev2 turbo engine as well which I've been saving with the intention of doing a bigger bhp build for my 2 so if you can help me list parts needed im going to buy them over the next year or so hopefully getting them cheap as possible buy grabbing a bargain as they come up
Here's my idea,I'm no expert so shoot me down if you must
Keep the rev2 block I've heard its a better block then rev3
Get rev 3 head get it ported and polished bigger valves and better valve springs
Piston kit
Conrod kit
Cams (hks)
0.8 or 1.0 head gasket
Lightened flywheel
Flywheel bolts arp
Head bolts ARP
Stage 2 or 3 clutch
Valves
Valve springs
Valve stem seals
Cam pulley wheels
If there's anything else im missing I'd be greatful if you can help
Also need to no about which part of rev3 bits I need,loom,ECU,fuel rail
Basically I'm looking to build an engine that is good for running 400bhp+ but have mine running 350bhp nice and safe
I don't intend on selling the car ever so I've got plenty of time to get her done
Thanks Paul 8)
gnzyza

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Help building turbo engine

Post by gnzyza »

I think a standard rev3 head and rods will see your power goals.
It's good to think about what compression ratio you will run and build around that using a standard size HG.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

paulharry wrote:Hello 8)
My rev2 turbo has been off the road for the last couple of years as I've been very busy but in a couple of months I'm moving house to a house with a garage :D :clap: so its time to bring the 2 back to life I've put coilovers,intercooler,ct20 turbo,greddy turbo timer,blitz nur spec exhaust on it,its had new leather interior new steering wheel and boss I've got some rev3 lights(but might leave standard on,everyone seems to go rev3 but the original are growing on me now)new front bumper to fit but I can't remember its name,she is running mint but I still need to get a rear spoiler maybe gt2000 style free the brakes up(but going to do the bigger brake build later,get some sick deep dish wheels then get her painted m.o.t tax and insured then its ready to take out
I have a spare rev2 turbo engine as well which I've been saving with the intention of doing a bigger bhp build for my 2 so if you can help me list parts needed im going to buy them over the next year or so hopefully getting them cheap as possible buy grabbing a bargain as they come up
Here's my idea,I'm no expert so shoot me down if you must
Keep the rev2 block I've heard its a better block then rev3
Get rev 3 head get it ported and polished bigger valves and better valve springs
Piston kit
Conrod kit
Cams (hks)
0.8 or 1.0 head gasket
Lightened flywheel
Flywheel bolts arp
Head bolts ARP
Stage 2 or 3 clutch
Valves
Valve springs
Valve stem seals
Cam pulley wheels
If there's anything else im missing I'd be greatful if you can help
Also need to no about which part of rev3 bits I need,loom,ECU,fuel rail
Basically I'm looking to build an engine that is good for running 400bhp+ but have mine running 350bhp nice and safe
I don't intend on selling the car ever so I've got plenty of time to get her done
Thanks Paul 8)

Now breathe.......

Doesnt your keyboard full stop button work?/lol
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

might as well do the
oil pump
water pump

ECU, you're going to need a stand alone for 350 - 400+bhp
REV3 injectors wont get you there so need to replace those as well and prob the rail also
MAP sensor
A good Dyno person

Im sure other people will come and add to the list
paulharry

Post by paulharry »

alanmr2turbo wrote:might as well do the
oil pump
water pump

ECU, you're going to need a stand alone for 350 - 400+bhp
REV3 injectors wont get you there so need to replace those as well and prob the rail also
MAP sensor
A good Dyno person

Im sure other people will come and add to the list

I've been looking at surpa injectors but I'll ask about them later
I suppose a new fuel pump as well, is the walbro 255 good enough or can a supra one be fitted for less money
I'm starting to think the best way forward is to get a list of parts then as I start to buy things ask you guys about it first
I'll be starting with the block first so should I be looking at changing the crank as well I'm thinking of trying to do it all for less then 5000 4000 even better and so on,
Thanks again for adding to the list I've wrote it down
And sorry about the full stops ,grammar is not my strong point :oops: :wink: 8)
Last edited by paulharry on Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulharry

Post by paulharry »

gnzyza wrote:I think a standard rev3 head and rods will see your power goals.
It's good to think about what compression ratio you will run and build around that using a standard size HG.

I was thinking of getting it breathing better but don't you think is worth doing
Would a set of fordged rods be stronger then Toyota rods I'm looking to keep the car till I'm dead so I don't mind paying for better internals if they are better

I've been looking at different engine builders to look at the compression ratios tbh its something I don't under stand to much about I've been reading that low compression is better for turbo engines so I was going to ask people on on the forum about there's
I'd be looking to make good power mid range not all the power at the top end

Does anyone no what type of compression ratios I should be looking at for what I'm after?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

First you need to design the engine.

What fuel will you run on and what power you want.

Calculate the air flow and pressure ratio that will give you that power.

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyg ... ech_expert

Find the correct turbo that will work best for the above.

Once the above is completed you can work out the compression ratio of the pistons needed.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Add a decent intercooler or chargecooler setup to your list too. Maybe a charge cooler but depending what you plan using the car for you might be able to make 400bhp using a good sidemount intercooler and adding 5 to 10% methanol into your tank of fuel. It needs to be fresh though and used quickly.

I made 360ish fwhp with cp 86.25s on a gt3076 at 1.5 bar. Sard 800s and a power fc. Cheap ebay sidemount. Standard rev 3 headgasket. I didnt do any calculations or that and my car is still in one piece, turbo kit is an mr2 specific kit from ats racing. Reason i said about adding meth in the tank is it reduced the knock allowing me to add 1 or 2 degrees timing resulting in more power.

No doubt someone will say i shouldnt and its doing nothing but wrecking my car but its in plain sight on my car that it works....

One thing i will say.... dont do what everyone suggests on here or you will never get your thing built.. theres loads of different opinions on here
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

The crank is forged as standard and is well up to the job you need it for. You don't need to change the cams either and a lightened flywheel isn't necessary.
No 2 :(
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

MR2 Rich wrote:The crank is forged as standard and is well up to the job you need it for. You don't need to change the cams either and a lightened flywheel isn't necessary.

Exactly. So will the rods
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

kev8611 wrote:
MR2 Rich wrote:The crank is forged as standard and is well up to the job you need it for. You don't need to change the cams either and a lightened flywheel isn't necessary.

I didn't notice the conrods, as you say they are well up to the job.

Me personally would do;

Rev2 block
Wossner 8.0:1 Pistons.
Standard crank, rods, cams, head and flywheel.
All seals and gaskets I would go Toyota as they are top quality.
ARP bolts and ACL bearings
Your money will be swallowed up by good management, mapping and turbo/manifold choice.
No 2 :(
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

MR2 Rich wrote:
kev8611 wrote:

I didn't notice the conrods, as you say they are well up to the job.

Me personally would do;

Rev2 block
Wossner 8.0:1 Pistons.
Standard crank, rods, cams, head and flywheel.
All seals and gaskets I would go Toyota as they are top quality.
ARP bolts and ACL bearings
Your money will be swallowed up by good management, mapping and turbo/manifold choice.

:thumleft:
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s

Return to “Modifications”