Newbee here! and in much need of advice!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Which shall i buy? for body mods and Power UPG's

REV2 TURBO
No votes
Rev3 turbo
100%
Rev 4 turbo
No votes

Total votes: 3

RyanRs

Newbee here! and in much need of advice!

Post by RyanRs »

Hello Peops... new here and have a few questions!! :D

Rite, i am going to buy a Mr2 Turbo very soon, with intent of fitting a bodykit(bomex or veilside) and few other simila bits... Now im really confused what model MR2 to go for..

i was up until now going to get a rev 4, as it has LSD,TC and much lower miles than the rev 2&3 ... i have been told to avoid the REV3 as aparntly they wer the worst built of the series due to budget at the time of production ??

thing is , the rev 4 isnt cheap! and lil birdie told me that the rev4 car is the same as a rev2, just with few bodywork mods -newer spoiler, round lights etc.. so if im gona put a kit on it, the rev 2 would be just as good.. ?

now my mate has a mint REV2 for sale, he uses it as a weekend car, it has light mods (susp,zorst,bleedvalve etc) .... and he has offered it to me for a really cheap price... like £1750!

would i be wasting my money if i spent £7-8k on a rev4 just to pull it apart? or is there something else that makes it worth the extra 4.5k over me mates car?

Also, i no the rev2 has not got LSD , TC and has a smaller turbo.. well is the LSD really needed? and is the smaller turbo really a problem, considering i would like to increase the power above 300bhp.??

last thing... i hear that one of the models had a handling problem over 100mph (i fink) was this true? and what model?

thnx for the help peops!
Last edited by RyanRs on Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimGTS

Re: Newbee here! and in much need of advice!

Post by jimGTS »

rev2 and rev4 are totally different.
much rarer to have a rev4.
different bits in the engine including different turbo, oil catch can and few other odds and sods.
different lights etc etc.

yes a rev4 is certainly werth alot more than a rev2.

not sure where you read rev3s are bad, cause this is the most sort after mr2 model. within price range for most peeps, comes with lots of engine bits the rev1/2s didnt have.
craig

Post by craig »

The Rev 3's look nice than rev 2 due to fully colour coded etc..

The rev 1/2 block is stronger than the rev 3. If you're after 300bhp a rev 3 would be easier.

£1750 is a good price if the rev 2 is sweet. The pre rev 3+ still have a nice tuning potential although the CT26 turbo on the rev 1/2 tails off boost after around 5000 RPM where as the rev 3 CT20b turbo holds boost to the redline.

Rev 1/2 - 9 PSI boost with fuel cut circa 11 PSI (220 bhp)
Rev 3 - 13 PSI boost with fuel cut circa 18 PSI (240 bhp)

HTH a bit.

Red
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ps, the turbos are infact bigger on the rev1/2s. and are stronger also. but dont quite hold as much boost as the rev3+ ones, and dont boost to the redline.
if you want 300+, a reliable 300, youd need to change turbos no matter what model you get.
and will need better cooling, boost controolers.

its harder to get a rev1/2 to 300 than it is a rev3+. as rev3s come with 20bhp more stock, and have a slightly better turbo.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

RedMR² wrote:

HTH a bit.

Red

no no red. :mrgreen:

rev1/2 10-11psi, fc at 12.8psi.
rev3 correct.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The rev 1 and 2's have bigger turbo's (ct26) the rev3's and 4's have (ct20b)
But the smaller turbo is better as they pull hard to the redline not like the ct26's which tend to tail off around the 6k mark.

Value wize the rev3 turbo will be the best bet any day! \:D/
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Wayne wrote:The rev 1 and 2's have bigger turbo's (ct26) the rev3's and 4's have (ct20b)
But the smaller turbo is better as they pull hard to the redline not like the ct26's which tend to tail off around the 6k mark.

Value wize the rev3 turbo will be the best bet any day! \:D/

faster spool and more torque with the ct26s tho :mrgreen:

so paying 1700 for a rev2 is better than paying 5-6k for a rev3.
dont think so my friend.
think of what you can do with that saved cash performance wise!
and if hes sticking a kit on it anyway, body difference dont matter to much.
craig

Post by craig »

jimGTS wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

HTH a bit.

Red

rev3 correct.

not on mine.....

I said CIRCA!!!!!! #-o
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

RedMR² wrote:
jimGTS wrote:
RedMR² wrote:

HTH a bit.

Red

rev3 correct.

not on mine.....

I said CIRCA!!!!!! #-o

hairy muff.
:mrgreen:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Ok then, so whats the diff between the REV 3 and REV4 ??

iv added a poll now so you can all vote :D

oh, and what about LSD and TC ?? do i really need it?
craig

Post by craig »

change from rev 3 to rev 4 just cosmetic?

optional sunroof
UK style repeaters
No toblerones
clear front lenses
airbag

Red
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

RyanRs wrote:Hello Peops... new here and have a few questions!! :D

Rite, i am going to buy a Mr2 Turbo very soon, with intent of fitting a bodykit(bomex or veilside) and few other simila bits... Now im really confused what model MR2 to go for..

i was up until now going to get a rev 4, as it has LSD,TC and much lower miles than the rev 2&3 ... i have been told to avoid the REV3 as aparntly they wer the worst built of the series due to budget at the time of production ??

thing is , the rev 4 isnt cheap! and lil birdie told me that the rev4 car is the same as a rev2, just with few bodywork mods -newer spoiler, round lights etc.. so if im gona put a kit on it, the rev 2 would be just as good.. ?

now my mate has a mint REV2 for sale, he uses it as a weekend car, it has light mods (susp,zorst,bleedvalve etc) .... and he has offered it to me for a really cheap price... like £1750!

would i be wasting my money if i spent £7-8k on a rev4 just to pull it apart? or is there something else that makes it worth the extra 4.5k over me mates car?

Also, i no the rev2 has not got LSD , TC and has a smaller turbo.. well is the LSD really needed? and is the smaller turbo really a problem, considering i would like to increase the power above 300bhp.??

last thing... i hear that one of the models had a handling problem over 100mph (i fink) was this true? and what model?

thnx for the help peops!

seems that most of what you have heard about mr2's previously is rubbish :twisted:
rev3 is no worse than any other build quality wise, in fact rev3 offers the best value of all at the moment. It was also the rev3, not rev4 that a lsd became standard (optional for rev1/2) and yes is needed if you intend to drive the car hard (will be easier to control). As for the TC its not much cop anyway, only has an on/off switch - non adjustable. Only differences on rev 4 are standard drivers airbag/optional passenger, polished alloys, uk style side repeaters.
Not many changes from rev1 - rev2, slightly stronger engine though same power, biggest difference was in chassis - rev2 got bigger brakes, bigger 15" wheels and rev3 style blistein suspension. Only real visual differences for rev2 where slightly lower lip spoiler and tint of body colour in the side strips.
Biggest change of all was from rev2 - rev 3 - full body colour coding, new round lights, new spoiler, revised rear suspension though most notable where the engine differences - power up to 245bhp (from 220) as standard (stayed same through rev4/5), slightly smaller ct20b turbo for smoother power delivery (though running at higher boost)
Mileage is irrelavent to which rev the car is, rev1/2's often turn up with as low miles as later cars.
You state you want over 300bhp, thing is 300bhp is acheivable for under £1k on a rev3, well deciding on a power goal may help you to decide where to spend your money as much over 300bhp and the playing field levels out between the older/later engines ie - you would have to spend as much/change as many parts on the rev3 as you would on a rev1/2 to reach the higher power goal.
The handling trait you mention probably refers to the rev1's tendancy to swap ends when the limit of traction is achieved due to more basic suspension/less grip though this can happen with any other revs also, its just more progressive when it happens on later cars.
check out these sites for more info
http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t/index.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200210261515 ... ision1.htm
Last edited by Quigonjay on Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

do you have anymore info on your mates car? mileage/history etc?
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

oke cheers..

i dont no too much about me mates car, cept its a rev2 T-bar, and has all the leather heated interoir, beilsiten shocks, bleed valve, dumpvalve and uprated wheels n exaust. its been lowered too.

ill ask him wen i see him next tho.

fink ill stick with my previous plan and get a rev3 then. its annoying, as i really like the veilside kit and i see so many veilside kittted mr2s for sale, with TV screens , bucket seats etc, looks gorgeous, but then turns out its a REV2 !

i wanted to pull out a loan to buy Fusions green MR2 turbo t-bar... but even with all the ice etc installed, i felt £10k was a bit too much for a rev2 with 100,000 miles on the clock!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

RyanRs wrote:
i wanted to pull out a loan to buy Fusions green MR2 turbo t-bar... but even with all the ice etc installed, i felt £10k was a bit too much for a rev2 with 100,000 miles on the clock!

you are joking right, that car was disgusting!!
all that money spent on it and it was still only 260-280bhp!
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

well, i no the color is bit yuck! but that can be changed ! lol

got to admit tho, it is a bit OTT.. would have been nice tho :)

JimGTS.... Are you the man from Toyota up the buisness estate, with the Blue turbo by any chance?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

RyanRs wrote:well, i no the color is bit yuck! but that can be changed ! lol

got to admit tho, it is a bit OTT.. would have been nice tho :)

JimGTS.... Are you the man from Toyota up the buisness estate, with the Blue turbo by any chance?

no, thats nick, he has a blue rev2 turbo, big power.

i got a black turbo.
:mrgreen:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

ah, kwel. just looked at ur profile, nice motor! what power does nick's one push out then? has he got a profile for it on here?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

RyanRs wrote:ah, kwel. just looked at ur profile, nice motor! what power does nick's one push out then? has he got a profile for it on here?

dont think hes a member of any clubs, but he goes to all the meets anyhow.

actually come to think of it, think he is a member of a club somewhere, but cant think of the name!! :-k :-k
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

here we go!!

http://www.midnight-racing.co.uk/

go to feature cars, and go to nicks mr2 turbo, its light blue, click on the pic, then tells you lots of specs.

i dont no how old these specs are, but they seem a good year or two old, he has done a fair bit, but i cant think of anything top of my head.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”