Speedo needle bouncing

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

thomp1983

Speedo needle bouncing

Post by thomp1983 »

Does anyone else find when sat at idle there speedo needle bounces? Is it a failure in the speedo's pcb or the gearbox sender becoming worn?

Thanks
Chris
Torero

Re: Speedo needle bouncing

Post by Torero »

I had exactly the same on a previous motor and it was the sender becoming worn, however this was a mechanical drive and you're running an electronic one as far as I know, Chris.

May be worth getting a spare one to try.
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Mine bounced around for a good while then would stop and start working then totally stopped working.

I'veound my fault which turns out to be the nylon ring inside the gear box just rotates when its not meant to lol. Hope its not same problem as yours as it means its either a gearbox strip down or replace the gearbox :(
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

thomp1983 wrote:Does anyone else find when sat at idle there speedo needle bounces? Is it a failure in the speedo's pcb or the gearbox sender becoming worn?

Thanks
Chris

The gearbox sender gears won't be rotating when the car is stationary.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Could you expand on that Peter? Is it the gears not turning when stationery and should be so needs replacing or the gear doesn't turn when stationery so the gear can't be at fault?

Im leaning towards the later as presumably the drive of the wheels turns the sender?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

I had a speedo display where the needle bounced, i bought a 2nd hand speedo display and it worked perfect, that was just my experience, i can't guarantee the above would work in every case though.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

thomp1983 wrote:Could you expand on that Peter? Is it the gears not turning when stationery and should be so needs replacing or the gear doesn't turn when stationery so the gear can't be at fault?

Im leaning towards the later as presumably the drive of the wheels turns the sender?

The driving gear is attached to the diff casing. If the car is stationary, so is the diff casing, and so is the ring gear. If the ring gear isn't rotating, nor will the cog gear, so there will be no driven output signal from the sender.
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

How often is it bouncing? In time with the revs in any way? sounds like it may be interference
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

It's random sometimes it does it others it doesn't. Ill swap my spare speedo in at some point
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

If you're running an electronic sender, could this be the alternator? Are you getting any flashing lights on the dash at all?

I had the same problem before my alternator died, but it was the tacho
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

No there's nothing else different going on with the car just the speedo occasionally bouncing. It's also possible my speedo converter is defective but that will be getting replaced in a few weeks anyway

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”