Quiet turbo exhaust???

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

J-1

Quiet turbo exhaust???

Post by J-1 »

My new Rev 4 turbo has an exhaust similar to the Departure Pro II (not checked the exact make yet!) and I find it too loud (changed days! :lol: ), so I'm thinking about changing it.

What's my options for a fairly quiet exhaust?
C35Rob

Re: Quiet turbo exhaust???

Post by C35Rob »

Hks hi power (mild steel) or silent hi power (same but all stainless) are pretty quiet, 88db comes to mind but may be wrong and obviously depends on wether there's a cat in there too.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
craig

Post by craig »

Stock turbo exhaust or fujitsubo legalis r.
ashley

Post by ashley »

The HKS is relatively quiet, but at 2.5 inch diameter it's too small for you mate...you'll want a minimum of 3 inch all the way through to help reduce back pressure, and get the most out of your new setup.

That limits your options in terms of noise levels if you want to buy off the shelf: most of the 3 inch stuff is super loud.

Have a chat with Paul (Shmed) - I picked up an exhaust for him a while back, can't remember what make it was, but it looked to be big enough and supposed to be quiet enough for track work, it was just a bit heavy. :thumleft:
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

J-1 wrote:My new Rev 4 turbo has an exhaust similar to the Departure Pro II (not checked the exact make yet!) and I find it too loud (changed days! :lol: ), so I'm thinking about changing it.

What's my options for a fairly quiet exhaust?

As Ash says youll want a free flowing exhaust for your set up less you restrict your set up. I found the HKS Hipower quiet enough to leave for work at 6am, demist the windscreen in the winter without p1$$ing off the neighbours

I still rattled my windows if i reverse parked, so id drive in instead lol

Another option is custom?! Is AAS exhausts too much of a drive for you? Iirc uglee drove to them as he went custom as his fujitsubo legalis baffles had deteriorated. Thats the risk with used :/

If it were me, if get some quotes for custom exhaust given the db limit for your track days and itll be built to your spec. Check out uglee's build thread :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

ashley wrote:The HKS is relatively quiet, but at 2.5 inch diameter it's too small for you mate...you'll want a minimum of 3 inch all the way through to help reduce back pressure, and get the most out of your new setup.

That limits your options in terms of noise levels if you want to buy off the shelf: most of the 3 inch stuff is super loud.

Have a chat with Paul (Shmed) - I picked up an exhaust for him a while back, can't remember what make it was, but it looked to be big enough and supposed to be quiet enough for track work, it was just a bit heavy. :thumleft:

this is for his new road car, not the track car, 2.5" should be fine up to around 300whp, maybe a little more if running an external wastegate that isn't plumbed back into the exhaust.

AAS are the place to go for custom work though :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Ah- didn't twig it was for the road car...yes: HKS all the way, perfect for what you want :thumleft:
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Thanks for the replies chaps.
Where is best to buy one of these exhausts?
If it's going to be too hard to source one, I may just go for a custom.
As it's for a road car, it's not as critical as it will be for my track car.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

they come up for sale used from time to time, I've got one (not stainless) attached to my car that I may sell - it does need a new flexi, which I've bought but not got round to welding in yet, but other than that it's in really good condition
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Hks all the way mate .. silent power :D
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Legaris R is too stock sounding IMHO - I had one and craved something louder instantly. Got another JASMA approved one instead.
craig

Post by craig »

androo007 wrote:Legaris R is too stock sounding

That's why I suggested it. And that's what the op is after, a quiet exhaust.
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Will check sound clips on YouTube and report back!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

My Legalis R sounds awesome compared to most ive heard, but thats because its old and the baffles are coming out.

I put a makeshift bung over one tip to quiet it for a trackday and the bung had caught bits of the baffles inside. :lol:

I would ask how much it would cost to get a brand new one, but I might just plump for a brand new hks which is already in the uk instead.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:
ashley wrote:AAS are the place to go for custom work though :thumleft:

uglee wrote:I finally couldn't cope with the exhaust anymore. Was fine at idle, but any load on the engine drew too much unwanted attention, and I'm sure the neighbours were not too keen on it eithere.

So at 4.30 Tuesday morning just gone I drove from Kilmarnock to Newcastle to get it properly sorted. Took it to a company called AAS. I went on recomendation and also I wanted a completely bespoke back box made up with the volume limits much lower than what they were. Didn't want an off the shelf box most companies offer. Also not impressed with the previous companies efforts on my midsection.

2 days later I collected it. Cost a little more than expected as the previous monkey who did my previous crap (and expensive) mid section had cut the flanges off my manifolds and welded on a reducing sleeve. So they had to remove the manifolds, cut off the sleeve and weld on new flanges.

Here's the finished system:

2nd silencer that can be replaced with a catalytic converter should things get awkward in the future with regards to the MOT:

Where the 2 banks meet:

Forward bank flexi and lambda boss:

Really happy with it, the quality is fantastic and the noise/volume is perfect now. Cannot recomend AAS enough! :thumleft:
. :thumleft:
Nails

Post by Nails »

Sometimes I think I'd like a slightly louder than my legalis R but I don't think I'd ever change it as it makes the car much more usable without any kind of droning. Plus you can hear all the turbo noises going on.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Yeah the 3sgte produces some bass regardless of exhaust .. i had a mongoose and it produced some serious b-line :(

If you wonder what i mean by that with no exhaust its was loud .. you could hear the turbo spin and a very loud exhaust note ... with a muffler it was very low level but bass-y .. rattled my plates in the house :lol:

Hard to explain.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

I had to go custom exhaust to get it quiet... at solid fabrications
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
J-1

Post by J-1 »

juliankv73 wrote:
Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:
ashley wrote:AAS are the place to go for custom work though :thumleft:

uglee wrote:I finally couldn't cope with the exhaust anymore. Was fine at idle, but any load on the engine drew too much unwanted attention, and I'm sure the neighbours were not too keen on it eithere.

So at 4.30 Tuesday morning just gone I drove from Kilmarnock to Newcastle to get it properly sorted. Took it to a company called AAS. I went on recomendation and also I wanted a completely bespoke back box made up with the volume limits much lower than what they were. Didn't want an off the shelf box most companies offer. Also not impressed with the previous companies efforts on my midsection.

2 days later I collected it. Cost a little more than expected as the previous monkey who did my previous crap (and expensive) mid section had cut the flanges off my manifolds and welded on a reducing sleeve. So they had to remove the manifolds, cut off the sleeve and weld on new flanges.

Here's the finished system:

2nd silencer that can be replaced with a catalytic converter should things get awkward in the future with regards to the MOT:

Where the 2 banks meet:

Forward bank flexi and lambda boss:

Really happy with it, the quality is fantastic and the noise/volume is perfect now. Cannot recomend AAS enough! :thumleft:
. :thumleft:

Looks nice! How much did that cost if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you want to keep it off the forum.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Hi

I think he paid £600 only because of the bad job the previous fabricator had done?

Iirc he said it would have cost £400 :thumleft:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... b124a21b8b

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”