Steering rack

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chambers360

Steering rack

Post by chambers360 »

Are steering racks interchangable between turbo/NA aslong as you get one with power steering?
Shmed

Re: Steering rack

Post by Shmed »

Pretty sure NA and turbo racks are the same, but power steering and non-power steering are different.
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Shmed wrote:Pretty sure NA and turbo racks are the same, but power steering and non-power steering are different.

:thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

If it helps at all I'll soon have a steering rack out and for sale rev 3 power steering rack
chambers360

Post by chambers360 »

Im not 100% sure it is the steering rack i need just yet, i was just asking incase it is... The problem i have is that when i let go of the steering wheel after turning its not returning to central and just stays where it is?
Draven

Post by Draven »

sounds like the steering rack to me.
chambers360

Post by chambers360 »

I thought so but all my suspensions abit screwed at the moment cus i crashed it lol so there could be something wrong there, how much you looking for, for your rack?
Draven

Post by Draven »

Its still in the car and was working perfectly. I'll hopefully have it out this weekend so will be available next week. £70 collected or plus P&P unsure how much P&P will cost but can work that out once i've removed it.

chambers360

Post by chambers360 »

Sounds good i wanna get the suspension on first hopefully this week and see where its at then if i need it ill definatly have it from you
Draven

Post by Draven »

:thumleft: Let me know.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Draven wrote:Its still in the car and was working perfectly. I'll hopefully have it out this weekend so will be available next week. £70 collected or plus P&P unsure how much P&P will cost but can work that out once i've removed it.

That is a good price, the last mr2 i had had a receipt for nearly £300 for a 2nd hand rack, personally i was to lazy to remove it and it went with the shell #-o
killerferret666

Post by killerferret666 »

chambers360 wrote:Sounds good i wanna get the suspension on first hopefully this week and see where its at then if i need it ill definatly have it from you

Could well be this, getting the kitcar on the road required steering to auto centre. If Toe out isn't correct on the front and tyres underflated it can make self centring more difficult for the steering.

Of course taking a whack could of damaged the rack.
My Blog on Miami GT4 kit car build using MR2 Donor Car

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
tiff_lee

Post by tiff_lee »

The self centering action isn't a function of the steering rack but is down to your suspension geometry (caster angle).
chambers360

Post by chambers360 »

Cheers guys, the car has apexi n1 coilovers on which are rock solid, it was apparently all set up properly from the guy who had it before me but its never centered itself since i bought it even before i bumped it, the wheel on the drivers side is now sitting further towards the rear of the arch than the one on the passenger side, ive had a look myself and couldnt seeing anything that was clearly damaged or bent so got my local garage to have a look on the ramps, they also said they couldnt see any damage.... So im thinking it could maybe just be the geometry thats causing the problem? Ive got new shock absorbers and spring to replace the coilovers with so once there on and set up hopefully the problem will be sorted? What do you guys think?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”