Oil vapour put dumpvalve. Also low compression

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

daviefoster9773

Oil vapour put dumpvalve. Also low compression

Post by daviefoster9773 »

Hi, I've got a rev 4 turbo. Its recently started putting oil vapour out the dump valve after a long drive. It is also down on compression on cylinder 3 although no loss in power recently so I don't know if the problems are connected. It loses boost after a long run too so I am thinking turbo seals. Can someone please shed some light. I've had one of that stupid bl**dy blitz exhausts on it with a restrictor ring. That was pinging the engine management now and again that is an avenue in was looking down as a possible cause. Psi on cylinder 3 is 110 ish. Rest are 160ish
rev3turbo

Re: Oil vapour put dumpvalve. Also low compression

Post by rev3turbo »

Your ringlands are shot.
shinny

Post by shinny »

rev3turbo wrote:Your ringlands are shot.

This is almost certainly it, I'm afraid :(
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Broken piston from knock. Too much boost for the fuel octane used.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
daviefoster9773

Cheers for info lads. So I will be looking at a new engine then?

Also I take it the oil vapour and the low compression are both symptoms of the piston ringlands? I thought turbo seals was the cause of the oil vapour.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

daviefoster9773 wrote:So I will be looking at a new engine?

You could get a second hand engine or best to get a rebuild on the one you have but with lower compression pistons so it is safe with higher boost.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
daviefoster9773

bobhatton wrote:

You could get a second hand engine or best to get a rebuild on the one you have but with lower compression pistons so it is safe with higher boost.

Ok. Is it generally a case of replacing the pistons and gaskets?

How do I get this bl**dy nur soec to run without the damn light comingon. i think this is what caused it. I tried a restrictor ring down to 2 inch bore and it still popped it.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

daviefoster9773 wrote:
bobhatton wrote:

Ok. Is it generally a case of replacing the pistons and gaskets?

How do I get this bl**dy nur soec to run without the damn light comingon. i think this is what caused it. I tried a restrictor ring down to 2 inch bore and it still popped it.

If the engine is rebuilt with lower compression pistons there would then not be a problem with running a higher boost.

When an engine is rebuilt it will have all new pistons, bearings, seals, gaskets, oil pump, water pump cam belt kit, full balance together with a new clutch if needed.
rgb

Post by rgb »

piston 3 seems to be the one to go. I killed mine through knock. when you say it runs ok. mine would do a hundred on three cylinders . a second hand engine would be the cheapest option 1500 quid bill sounds about right

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”