MK2 Turbo Prices

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

danjama

Re: MK2 Turbo Prices

Post by danjama »

D4N_V_U wrote:Spotting MR2 `in the wild` :lol: Just had an image of David Attenborough skulking through the trees.. `Here we have.. A truly rare sight to behold.. A standard MR2 Rev 5 Turbo.. Imported.. From Japan.. It`s sleek lines help it to glide effortlessly.. Down the road..`

:lol: Nice image!
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

I dont think they are going up in price, i tried to sell my 5S build albeit only advertised it briefly for £5.5k which was nothing compared to what i spent over 18months and got no interest hence breaking it.
The last few months there have been less come up and the ones that do at crazy prices, seen a couple of the lower priced ones ie (rev3 turbo with full respray and lots of choice mods for £2.5k), wasnt for me as it didnt have what i wanted for my future project but it was nice enough for the price. It never sold..
Similar story with another one i seen and i know a there are a few mr2s that keep coming up on ebay week in week out :roll:

Its ashame though as i think they are worth more but the fact is theres not enough demand, and there are plenty of parts readily available at decent prices to build a really good one for not much more than the price of an average complete rev3 turbo :sick:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Ive also noticed alot more tintops coming around for sale which is annoying as i really wanted a tbar #-o
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Over here the prices have just been rising. You can't even find gen3s for sale let alone tidy ones. Tidy gen1 and 2 sw20s are also rare and command top dollar. Seen a few tidy gen2s with $10,000nzd asking prices, they probably get close too because there isn't any choice. If you buy a tatty one, you will spend more than the difference on getting it up to spec.
l1ca

Post by l1ca »

rev3 turbo with full respray and lots of choice mods for £2.5k

I wouldn't entertain anything around this region for mine!

I believe there is a big separation coming up over the next few years, you can really see it occurring now. The gap between the really nice, desirable cars, either standard or sporting genuine, tasteful parts, and the tatty ones is becoming vast, coupled with the fact these cars are getting broken left right and centre can only push the values up.

In the coming years I can really see the better cars commanding some decent rates. By decent rates I really do mean 5 - 6k+

If you buy a tatty one, you will spend more than the difference on getting it up to spec

That really is the old saying that I stand by when buying any car, especially something in the 90's performance Japanese bracket.

"if you cant afford a good one, you really cant afford a cheap one"
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

I do think the prices will start going up in next few years but there are still plenty coming in from Japan to keep prices down.
Look at the rev5 for example at £4995 on ebay, thats been up ages whereas a year ago those cars were selling for £6.5k+ and were not hanging around either.
Who knows though, you never get money back with a project car #-o
2mad

Post by 2mad »

D4N_V_U wrote:`Here we have.. A truly rare sight to behold.. A standard MR2 Rev 5 Turbo.. Imported.. From Japan.. It`s sleek lines help it to glide effortlessly.. Down the road..`

HAha I read that in David Attenborough's voice .. made me chuckle :lol:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I noticed the slight increase in prices when I was in the market to buy another rev 3 turbo a few months back.

To be fair at the current prices I think the rev 3 turbos are an absolute bargain for what you get anyway. Mid-engined 240BHP RWD goodness \:D/

I think as the cars get rarer we might even see the rev 3 start to be worth more than the rev 4 or 5 to the more knowledgeable buyers due to the UK emissions rules. After all what's the difference between a 20 year old car and a 15 year old one - mechanically nearly all the parts that matter will have had to be changed by then anyway.

Unless I was 100% I would be leaving the car standard, I wouldn't want a rev 4 or 5 turbo over a rev 3 because when the MOT comes around you will be stuck unless you have the CAT in place.
craig

Post by craig »

Yep, rev3 turbo is the best one to have. Non-cat test \:D/
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Love it :lol:

Only thing is im sure i read somewhere that Toyota revised their engine for a slightly stronger block 98 onwards, not sure how accurate the info is :-k
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Gullzter wrote:Love it :lol:

Only thing is im sure i read somewhere that Toyota revised their engine for a slightly stronger block 98 onwards, not sure how accurate the info is :-k

Stronger blocks pre rev3 :thumleft: .. internet says O:)
craig

Post by craig »

2mad wrote:

That's what I thought, but was corrected. Rev1/2 blocks weak around water pump area. Rev3 blocks go between cylinder 1 & 2.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

RedMR² wrote:
2mad wrote:

That's what I thought, but was corrected. Rev1/2 blocks weak around water pump area. Rev3 blocks go between cylinder 1 & 2.

Yeah .. total mine field ... takes your chances with both Red .
Last edited by 2mad on Wed May 20, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

there has been a rise in the last year, especially on the rev3+ cars.

turbo or na, they have gone up and rightly so.
so many are being broken, yet demand is still there for potential buyers who used to have one and are looking to come back.

although i own a converted car, wouldnt catch me entertaining the idea of selling for anything less than a top end priced rev3+ tubby car.
id almost go as far as saying, Kongs comments on rev3/4/5 differences, could almost be applied to original or converted tubbies in years to come, even now, a well sorted maintained car is and should be priority really whether or not its converted.

Last edited by jimGTS on Wed May 20, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

jimGTS wrote:

Thats very nice :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Totally. Nothing wrong with a converted car in the slightest.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

RedMR² wrote:Totally. Nothing wrong with a converted car in the slightest.

:thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

jim's car is lovely.. very tastefully modified.

There's nothing wrong with a converted car but a genuine turbo with the same spec/condition would be more desirable/valuable - I think that will become more so as they get older and rarer, in the same way a genuine RS turbo is worth more than a converted xr3, a genuine mk2 rs2000 is worth significantly more than a converted car and so on.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
craig

Post by craig »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:jim's car is lovely.. very tastefully modified.

There's nothing wrong with a converted car but a genuine turbo with the same spec/condition would be more desirable/valuable - I think that will become more so as they get older and rarer, in the same way a genuine RS turbo is worth more than a converted xr3, a genuine mk2 rs2000 is worth significantly more than a converted car and so on.

Agreed. Although Jim's car is a lovely example, and I have no beef with converted MR2s, a genuine GT or GT-S turbo will always clinch the top dollar.
Shaoxter

Post by Shaoxter »

It's kind of hard to compare values as there's so few of them for sale and each one is going to be very different in terms of spec and condition. And also we don't really have an idea of how much a car really sells for.

RedMR² wrote:Yep, rev3 turbo is the best one to have. Non-cat test \:D/

Took me 2 days and written confirmation from the DVSA to convince my MOT station to do the non-cat test...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”