Exhaust Removal Help

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Bumble-bee

Exhaust Removal Help

Post by Bumble-bee »

Hi guys!
I know this has probably been covered but loads of you on here but im looking for some quick tips and pointers about getting the stock exhaust off the 1991 mr2 turbo! It's rusted to hell! And I want to get it done fairly quickly any short cuts or easier roots to take to get this off? I'll be tackling it this weekend and I'll make a bullet point list to follow :)

Thanks in advance!

Anthony
SonicSW20

Re: Exhaust Removal Help

Post by SonicSW20 »

If it's rusted to the point where it's pretty much fused together:

And if it's particularly stubborn, a bit of this:

Bumble-bee

Post by Bumble-bee »

Now I don't have either of them tools but the guys who are going to help me do, but where do I tackle it from? Like im going back to front then front to back but if it's really bad do I grind the bolt off? Or just the section with the bolt?
Atmu999

Post by Atmu999 »

Ad make sure you have new nuts and bolts and gaskets for everything your replacing and go wild lol.. Also may need a stud remover if you grind the end of bolts off going into the head... Good luck 👍
Bumble-bee

Post by Bumble-bee »

Yeah Ive got new nuts bolts and gaskets it's literally getting the only one off I know is going to be the problem :') just wondering if anyone has an tips what bits to take off that make it easier :)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Spend 30 quid on a dremmel and small cutting discs - you'll wonder how you ever lived without one!
Bumble-bee

Post by Bumble-bee »

All my money has gone into getting the exhaust lol, Im hoping its going to be easier than some of the stories on here lol
griffo20022

Post by griffo20022 »

I recently changed the exhaust on Jess's mainly because when we bought the car the exhaust was blowing slightly from the join between the silencer and the cat. Going underneath the bolts had completely rotted to nothing where it was blowing from! Luckily the other end of the cat the bolts were fine and took the cat and silencer down in one. I got a chisel and hammer to the old rotten bolts and suddenly the flange from the silencer side just came away. So thats the reason for the exahust change lol. Oh well means we have a stainless steel item and decat now :)
Bumble-bee

Post by Bumble-bee »

That's what im going for! :) so it's its really back should I put a chisel in between the two parts where the bolt connects them and smack it with a hammer to see if it'll break away? I don't care what happens to it I just want it off lol
JD

Post by JD »

Just use whatever those pikeys that steal catalytic converters use. They can get your exhaust off in minutes without even jacking up the car :roll:
Bumble-bee

Post by Bumble-bee »

That's a good point! I'll ask the ones down the road how they'll do it :)
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Bumble-bee wrote:That's a good point! I'll ask the ones down the road how they'll do it :)

that'll be a little enerpac hydraulic hand pump and some cutting jaws on a long hose.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”