De-Cat .... A few questions

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Dale_V

De-Cat .... A few questions

Post by Dale_V »

Im thinking about getting a de cat for my rev-2 NA, I just want to know a few thruths about the performance afterwards (torque and BHP), what will I gain and what will I lose?

Also what noise differences will there be?

Also at the moment I have a custom exhaust jobbie on it, would I have to go back to the manufacturer to a special de cat pipe put in, or will any do (noobness :oops: )

Cheers
-Dale
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: De-Cat .... A few questions

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

It will indeed increase the volume, and top end power, but reduce low down torque slightly I should think. Also, I would imagine any decat pipe for the NA will fit, but I don't know for sure. Only speak turbo, sorry! 8)
psmiff

Post by psmiff »

Can anyone clarify, apart from the pre'94 turbo quirk in the regulations permitting a non cat MOT test, presumably anything else de-catted would not technically be road legal and would fail an MOT
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

psmiff wrote:Can anyone clarify, apart from the pre'94 turbo quirk in the regulations permitting a non cat MOT test, presumably anything else de-catted would not technically be road legal and would fail an MOT

yes it wouldnt be road legal, but who cares? :D

I believe aug '92 is the cut off date for UK cars ...

cheers Luke :thumright:
psmiff

Post by psmiff »

Thanks Luke,

The non cat test can apply to any car first used between Aug 92 and July 95 if it can't be matched in the MOT data book. With the Turbo this applies I think up to late 93.
craig

Post by craig »

I believe:

after Aug 1992 - need a cat N/A
Before Aug 1992 - no cat required N/A

and I think:

pre 1995 on turbo - no cat
post 1995 on turbo - need a cat
Will-Turbo

Post by Will-Turbo »

RedMR² wrote:I believe:

after Aug 1992 - need a cat N/A
Before Aug 1992 - no cat required N/A

and I think:

pre 1995 on turbo - no cat
post 1995 on turbo - need a cat

I've got a 95M Rev 3 Turbo... do i need a CAT for my MOT????? :? :? :?
psmiff

Post by psmiff »

Possibly not, the regs allow non cat tests on vehicles first used before 31st July '95
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

You don't have to have the cat - the test is done so that there is a more stringent level test.

It is possible to have no cat and pass the mot assuming that you fall below the emission levels.

For example - although I can have the "no cat" test on my car as it is April 92 last year I passed on the "with cat" test for emissions as the MOT guy didn't know I had the decat pipe on it.

AFAIK it is not a requirement to have the CAT in place - simply to pass the test.

HTH :)

Return to “Modifications”