TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - BREAK ME UP, BEFORE YOU GO GO

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rev3turbo

Re: TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - BREAK ME UP, BEFORE YOU GO GO

Post by rev3turbo »

sorry, the adapter, fitted with a turbo hanging from it :lol: , just I cant find many pics, and my googling sucks
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

rev3turbo wrote:sorry, the adapter, fitted with a turbo hanging from it :lol: , just I cant find many pics, and my googling sucks

here you go, it's a celica, but you get the idea

rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

very good, :thumleft: keep us updated with yours
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

nothing much is happening with this at the min, too busy with work, preparing for a baby etc, but i've managed to put my toms braces (+std x brace) in for powder coating and just picked them up today

I decided to use the standard x brace along with the strut brace as Toyota obviously deemed it necessary when they designed the car, and TRD braces kept the design too, they have a significantly larger R&D budget than me so I'll press the believe button on that one.

some may disagree with my colour choice as it's not the authentic toms "dull textured red" but I'm a big fan and it fits in with the theme of the car.

they're this colour - candy blue over silver base, really hard to capture at night with an iPhone

https://www.facebook.com/bettablast/pho ... =3&theater

I really like them, thinking of doing my spare set of wheels the same colour
Draven

Post by Draven »

Rob85 wrote:Image

it's 48x28x19mm

I was going to get another one with red digits for before the intercooler, but decided against it, as it's pretty irrelevant as long as what comes out is cool enough.

Hi Rob

Just wondering where you got this and the sensor as i'd like a couple?

Thanks
David.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Draven wrote:
Rob85 wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... 9zf0ns.jpg

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af1 ... vaec6r.jpg

it's 48x28x19mm

I was going to get another one with red digits for before the intercooler, but decided against it, as it's pretty irrelevant as long as what comes out is cool enough.

Hi Rob

Just wondering where you got this and the sensor as i'd like a couple?

Thanks
David.

PM'd
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I'm getting to the point now where I'm nearly ready to order my new turbo, I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to a few options but would appreciate any feedback, good or bad

as stated previously my initial aim is as much as I can get from standard internals, using (most likely) 850cc injectors and a power FC so ~350bhp.. although numbers aren't really important, so lets not get hung up on that. then in the future I'd like to refresh the bottom end with some forged pistons and shoot for 400bhp with appropriate supporting mods, which should be plenty for a 100% street driven car.

I want the turbo I buy now to be used for both set ups, the CHRA at least, changing exhaust housings would be feasable, cost wise

the turbo options I'm looking at are:

TD06 20g - pretty sure this is what I'm going for, very similar in size to a 3071 comp wheel.. but unsure to go for the L2 or H turbine wheel and also the 8 or 10cm housing.. obviously an L2 wheel in an 8cm housing will spool up quicker, but will it become a restriction when going for 400+bhp? the Greddy kits came with the L2/8cm combo. maybe the 10cm housing would be better though, obviously a bit slower to get going but a little more head room for higher power

TD06 with a garrett 60-1 compressor wheel.. (similar in size to a 3076 compressor wheel) pretty much as above, any of the same hot side configurations but with the bigger 60-1 wheel.. better for higher power obviously, but will it be woefully mismatched with my requirements before going for bigger power? (I'm *quite* sure it will be, tbh but willing to listen to informed opinions)

anyone car to throw their 2p in?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

id be tempted to go for a newer generation turbo like a GTX2867R, they spool earlier than old school turbos like the td06 . the GTX2867R would obviously and easily give you the 350hp on standard internals... a bit wasted , but will give you the scope to get the most out of it when you fit forged pistons

or just fit forged pistons now and be done with it :twisted:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

rev3turbo wrote:id be tempted to go for a newer generation turbo like a GTX2867R, they spool earlier than old school turbos like the td06 . the GTX2867R would obviously and easily give you the 350hp on standard internals... a bit wasted , but will give you the scope to get the most out of it when you fit forged pistons

or just fit forged pistons now and be done with it :twisted:

If I didn't have 3 cars, a pregnant girlfriend and a mortgage then I would definitely be using a £1000+ turbo, along with a tubular manifold, forged pistons, rods, a built head and modern engine management.

but until then, the TD06 range will suit my requirements perfectly well, sure, it won't be as responsive, but I'm certain the 100's if not 1000's of people that have used them before were quite happy with their cars.

(I hope that doesn't sound really arsey, but I was mentally counting down the seconds till someone dropped in with that suggestion!)

:thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

What's your budget for the turbo?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

ashley wrote:What's your budget for the turbo?

PM'd mate
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

this has been put on the back burner a little since my Laurel is swallowing money at the min but these arrived today, the quality is excellent. Kazumasa even sent me a free DVD as he'd seen it was my birthday!

and I couldn't help myself!

unfortunately I did get stung with VAT and a Parcelforce handling fee :(

give me a shout if you want a set!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

it's been a while!

nothing much has happened to this to be honest, zero miles this year..

I've fitted the Power FC I bought (not sure if i already mentioned that?) as I sold the standard ECU so I removed the Bee*R rev limiter, as I've heard/been told the two can cause issues together

I recently bought a long PS/2 cable, as a hand commander extension so routed that through the car under the carpets and neatly cable tied to the loom in the engine bay through to the boot- just need to find a cheap/sensibly priced commander now, or if that doesnt happen I'll buy one of the new OLED commanders from japan.

the main focus of this update is as follows..

One of the wheels (drivers side rear) has leaked air since I bought them, about 2psi a day. Since the rear wheels are off at the min (i'd borrowed them for something else and not got round to putting them back on) I thought I'd get the tyre whipped off and re seal it.

in the living room to split it down (mrs was delighted)

this mess is what I found when the tyre was removed.. this is NOT the correct way to seal split rims.. the silicone was uneven, flaking off and there was loads of it inside the tyre.. bathroom silicone should be nowhere near a car, and on splits, ever.

so I cracked on with the laborious task of splitting them down, oddly, some of the bolts had been done up FT, and others were just nipped up

and removing the crappy sealant

I also removed the tyre valve, and to my surprise (shock?) there was NO rubber seal in it.. just a piece of black sealant.. no wonder it was leaking. to be honest this annoyed me, its just pure laziness and a total bodge by the person who built them up, if that'd failed completely at speed the end result could have been near instant depressurisation and effectively a blow out, obviously that's speculation but turning out that sort of work is dangerous.

I then spent ages on the lip, working through all the grades of wet and dry paper to get it perfectly smooth, then attacked with with some metal polish and a cotton cone attachment on a drill

the wheel was then rebuilt, torqued up correctly and re sealed including a new rubber seal on the valve.

this is how a split rim should be sealed up properly

and the finished article

needless to say, the other three wheels will be removed, checked and re sealed properly before the car sees the road again, for peace of mind.

that out of the way, the only other thing I've done is to fit a nice big K&N air filter, since I sold my ARC intake..

hopefully it'll see the road again next year?
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

hello mate

car is looking awesome :thumleft:

were did you get the intake temo gauge from bud please
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

alan_uk wrote:hello mate

car is looking awesome :thumleft:

were did you get the intake temo gauge from bud please

I sell them mate, drop me a PM if you're interested
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

Just read the whole thread, enjoyable read and you made good progress :thumleft:
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Love the way this project has gone. Just can't get better than a white toms mr2!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

mattymr2 wrote:Love the way this project has gone. Just can't get better than a white toms mr2!

thanks!

there's still things happening behind the scenes slowly with this, it's probably going to go in a slightly different direction now as I want to do a bit of drifting. I've advertised my Laurel for sale and if that sells I'll be buying something like an R32 skyline or PS13 silvia, If the laurel doesn't sell I'll try to drift this, so I'll need a 2 way (or welded) diff, and ideally a cage (probably a bolt in, dash dodger as I want to keep a full interior)
JD

Post by JD »

This is gorgeous. I dunno man, you and I are definitely on the same wavelength when it comes to automobiles :clap:
griffo20022

Post by griffo20022 »

My word this is bloody stunning! Love you attention to detail on parts etc. Those wheels are phenomenal! love it!

Return to “Member Profiles”