Anyone have any knowlegde on the MK2 Automatic funtionality?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mullen

Re: Anyone have any knowlegde on the MK2 Automatic funtionality?

Post by Mullen »

I have no idea why your speedo needle does that either.
As Paul said some delimiters, [stef derners I believe] do a preset sweep to various points but your's is just doing one.

Frankly I'm stumped...

You're not far from Pacific Works, I'd give Luke a ring & see if they have experienced auto's with this issue before.

07526 815648
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Taken from the fitting instructions on Stefs delimiters

The delimiter can be set to carry out a self test each time the ignition is switched on, the Speedo needle will sweep to 120, drop to 60 and then to the rest. The self test can be switched off and on by moving the selector switch to the opposite position and back with the ignition on. Test by switching off the ignition and switching on again. (Do this before refitting the dash ;))

I am watching this thread with interest as I am contemplating an auto conversion
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

madbasshunter wrote:Taken from the fitting instructions on Stefs delimiters

The delimiter can be set to carry out a self test each time the ignition is switched on, the Speedo needle will sweep to 120, drop to 60 and then to the rest. The self test can be switched off and on by moving the selector switch to the opposite position and back with the ignition on. Test by switching off the ignition and switching on again. (Do this before refitting the dash ;))

That's the odd thing though in the video he's posted the needle just flicks up and straight down rather than sweeps to the three speeds like the Steph, so unless there's another type of delimiter that flicks like this, my guess is that it's a faulty component.

As there are no error codes stored and it doesn't sound as though this is a function of the std auto gearbox setup, my hunch would be a faulty delimiter (if fitted) or a fault in the speedo cluster, as I'm assuming a faulty sender signal would show up as a fault code.

But I've no idea whether there are extra electronics associated with the auto setup that if faulty could account for the reported issues.

Paul
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

Right.... So was taking the MR2 over to Pacific Works at 08:00, road was nice and clear. As you know, the problem is that the PWR button switch on the MANU light. So I pressed the PWR light and then pressed the O/D button which put the revs down to 2500rpm, so it is actually working! I have never tried this before.

So I think even the PWR does actually work despite the MANU coming on and O/D works. I think there is a problem with the cluster itself.

I have left it with Luke (who is a top guy by the way!) at Paricifc Works who's going to look into it.

Mullen, does your O/D work on MANU mode? I'm hoping its not meant to and the PWR is working on my MR2.

Will see what happens.... Fingers crossed!
Owner of:
1996 MR2 Import G-Limited Auto
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

After replacing the ECU, gear shifter, checking through the fuses, Luke was unable to identify the issues with MANU, PWR and O/D issue. The only thing that could be tested was replacing the cluster as he didn’t have one for my MR2 being a non cable automatic.

As I mentioned before, pressing the PWR switches on the MANU light (on the rev counter) even though I think it still activates the PWR mode. Pressing the O/D brings the revs down so I know that works too even though it doesn’t display O/D off etc. But the O/D only work when the parking light or headlight is on – really weird! I tried replacing just the rev counter but it does the same thing.

I think the next thing to do is replace the complete speedo cluster but the one I need is difficult to find :(

Any help will be appreciated guys.
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
synXero

Post by synXero »

I haven't got a full grasp of what's going on here, but it couldn't be something very very simple like two wires going to the wrong places? Crossed over during some sort of bodged install?
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

synXero wrote:I haven't got a full grasp of what's going on here, but it couldn't be something very very simple like two wires going to the wrong places? Crossed over during some sort of bodged install?

Me and Luke have both checked over the wiring, the car has been kept original with no mods, even I got the KPH to MPH convertor fitted after I bought it, the issue still existed prior to this too. No idea what to do now apart from change the cluster over to see if this is the issue.
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

I've got a rev1 auto cluster spare... It's in bits though, has had the needles removed & a mix of dial faces, but should be fine as a tester as all the lights worked fine when it was in the car.

I'll put it back together & you can have it for the price of shipping if you'd like it.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Isn't the rev1 a cable speedo? I have just broken a rev3 auto (imported as new and uk clocks put in)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysdtxdyjbwshg ... 2.jpg?dl=0
These clocks might be available in the near future as not sure what I am doing :wink:
Last edited by madbasshunter on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanRs wrote:
Skywalker wrote:explain how the coolant leaves the expansion tank and goes back into the coolant system?

Seriously , you don't know the answer to this? and you call yourself a car mechanic :shock:
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

You're right, I'm being dumb. He needs a non cable speedo.
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

madbasshunter wrote:Isn't the rev1 a cable speedo? I have just broken a rev3 auto (imported as new and uk clocks put in)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysdtxdyjbwshg ... 2.jpg?dl=0
These clocks might be available in the near future as not sure what I am doing :wink:

OK mate, let me know as I need one to test it - don't know if it'll be the clocks, but its the only thing that hasn't been changed and has other issues with it as well.
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

Mullen wrote:You're right, I'm being dumb. He needs a non cable speedo.

No worries Mullen. Just a question mate, does your O/D work in MANU mode? I'm pressing the PWR button and pressing the O/D which works despite the MANU and PWR (dim) on. I'm saving a little on fuel too as the revs go so low and engine goes quiet, its great. Although I have to turn the parking light on at least for O/D to work lol.
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

I don't know if O/D works in Manual mode as I've never tried it.
I would assume it would but could well be wrong.
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

Mullen wrote:I don't know if O/D works in Manual mode as I've never tried it.
I would assume it would but could well be wrong.

Ok cheers Mullen.
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

This might help for checking
When when O/D is off the light green wire from selector to dash and to 22pin plug at ecu has 12v
When Manual is selected the Blue/White wire from selector to dash and to 22pin plug at ecu has 12v
When PWR is selected the Blue/Red wire from selector to dash and to 22pin plug at ecu has 12v
RyanRs wrote:

arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

madbasshunter wrote:This might help for checking
When when O/D is off the light green wire from selector to dash and to 22pin plug at ecu has 12v
When Manual is selected the Blue/White wire from selector to dash and to 22pin plug at ecu has 12v
When PWR is selected the Blue/Red wire from selector to dash and to 22pin plug at ecu has 12v

Thank you madbasshunter, ill test it next Friday on my day off - ill update this post - cheers.
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

madbasshunter wrote:This might help for checking

I did the test, the O/D off (light green wire) doesn't get a 12v current. Even selected doesn't get a current.

The MANU blue/white and PWR blue/red gets a 12v current when mode is selected despite the light on the rev counter saying otherwise.

I don't know what this means now, could this be the speedo cluster? Because when you select MANU or PWR, it is actually going into the mode. The O/D works in PWR mode but only if you turn on the parking light.

I have checked under the steering column to see if any modifications have been made but looks all standard.

Don't know where to go from here? :(
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

arif_manji wrote:
I did the test, the O/D off (light green wire) doesn't get a 12v current. Even selected doesn't get a current. :(

Sorry bad explanation by me :oops:
When O/D is off there is 12v which illuminates the light but when it's on there is no current. The light green wire is found at the front of the shifter in a group of four wires two blue which appear to be earth and two green
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ha0hx5efxoaq6 ... 6.jpg?dl=0
RyanRs wrote:

arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

madbasshunter wrote:
arif_manji wrote:
I did the test, the O/D off (light green wire) doesn't get a 12v current. Even selected doesn't get a current. :(

Sorry bad explanation by me :oops:
When O/D is off there is 12v which illuminates the light but when it's on there is no current. The light green wire is found at the front of the shifter in a group of four wires two blue which appear to be earth and two green
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ha0hx5efxoaq6 ... 6.jpg?dl=0

I'll test it again on Friday, once I get the new speedo cluster and if that fails. Cheers madbasshunter.
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi
arif_manji

Post by arif_manji »

Ok, so I replace it with another cluster (supplied by madbasshunter, thanks mate) and still have the same issue! :(

No idea what to do now, the speedo and shifter have now both been replaced but hasn't fixed the issue.

I have checked the cable/plugs that go into the speedo cluster and could only fine two wires which had been fiddles with, they are both red wires with grey dots on them so I switched them over. The only difference it made was that the ABS light stays on! Come to think of it, I have never seen the ABS light come on at ignition as a check.

This is now driving me mad!

I don't think its speedo issue as that's not the only problem, the Door Open, Exhaust Heat and Cruise light stays on at ignition. When you start the car, the 'Door Open' light goes off but when switched off, it stays on permanently.

I don't know what to do next, replace complete wiring loom?

Any advise will be appreciated.
Owner of:
2004 Celica 1.8 VVTi

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”