paint change

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

al/c

paint change

Post by al/c »

thinking of changing the paint, as some of you know atm it,s pearl white, but any damage is a b1tch to sort out. so have decided to respray in a standard white. has anyone got a prefference for a bright white paint code :-k
C35Rob

Re: paint change

Post by C35Rob »

040, superwhite

or go for one of the "modern" whites, like ford ice white, or audi ibis white, personally I don't like them, they look bluey to me.

I do, however LOVE pearl white, so I'd vote stick with pearl white, maybe with some white or abalone flake in it
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
JD

Post by JD »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:040, superwhite

yip. perfect.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Could go old skool with ford rs Diamond white :)
fred130111

Post by fred130111 »

I have always liked honda championship white.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

frozen white is quite popular .. id still go diamond white :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

fred130111 wrote:I have always liked honda championship white.

Yeah, looks awesome, check out Dave's (l1ca) build thread:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1623393
JD

Post by JD »

Yeah but when you park it next to something that is actually white, you realise that it's actually Honda Championship Cream :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

JD wrote:

Yeah but when you park it next to something that is actually white, you realise that it's actually Honda Championship Cream :lol:

Agreed, having seen Dave's new paint job in the flesh, it is a creamy colour. But looks stunning regardless.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

I have seen a very nice white on an Audi recently, have a look through pistonheads at all the different shades, then take a drive to the local dealerships to see in the flesh, looking forward to see what you settle on :-k
JD

Post by JD »

RedMR² wrote:
JD wrote:

Agreed, having seen Dave's new paint job in the flesh, it is a creamy colour. But looks stunning regardless.

Oh yeah it's a lovely colour - especially contrasted with some gloss black a la http://image.superstreetonline.com/f/fe ... type-r.jpg

It's unusual to see those warmer whites these days as they're seen as a bit vintage-y so like Rob said seem quite bluey/cold.

The guy at the bodyshop that did my sills had a book of colour variations with swatches showing the variation within each paint code like, say when your MR2 was being painted it was going to be 3E5 red, but the car on the production line immediately before it had been painted 8B6 blue, and they hadn't purged the lines then your 3E5 red would be slightly bluer than a 3E5 red car painted after another red one, or after a yellow one that might come out a bit more orangey. Really subtle but you could actually order the variations so as to have something as close as possible right out the tin for you to match. I never realised this until he showed me - I thought all paint was matched from one batch at the shop 8-[
al/c

paint change

Post by al/c »

been looking round and i,m starting to think that i quite like the lexus 070 white, nice and bright, but so is my pearl white, may just say sod the expense and have another batch custom mixed but buy enough for touchup,s afterwards :-k
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

ITT, white supremacy [-X

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”