Is it just me or does this sound dubious?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jumpman33

Is it just me or does this sound dubious?

Post by jumpman33 »

This is an email I received after i let them know it was still available. Seems dubious to me but then I don't have much history when it comes to selling cars. I've asked if they're a UK buyer and am awaiting further response.

The email:

Thanks for the quick response, can you assure me it's in good condition ??,I need you to understand that I am willing and ready to purchase it right away, put it off the AD site, consider me as your favorite buyer, I'm seriously interested in buying this and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.i would be glad to pay for it as soon as possible though i will not be available to come for an inspection due to my tight schedule. Kindly get back to me with the following questions below:

1) What is the condition?
2) Are you the Owner?
3) Pick up Location?
4) Your PayPal Email ID to effect the payment
5) How much is your buy it now price

I would be glad to make the payment immediately through PayPal so kindly get back to me with your PayPal ID. You need not to worry yourself about title transfer and shipment,i will instruct the shipping company to handle that therefore in order to complete the transaction do get back to me with your PayPal ID and total cost so that I can make the payment asap. I will be waiting for your reply!

Thanks and God bless

Cheers in advance

Aaron
MR2 Rich

Re: Is it just me or does this sound dubious?

Post by MR2 Rich »

Sounds very dubious. I would ignore it.
No 2 :(
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

seriously though...

unless they will:

talk to you on the phone
come and view the car
pay with cash
drive it away

then it's simply not worth bothering with.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
jumpman33

Post by jumpman33 »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.jokeblogger.com/sites/defaul ... 551339.jpg

seriously though...

unless they will:

talk to you on the phone
come and view the car
pay with cash
drive it away

then it's simply not worth bothering with.

agreed, they'll be ignored, funny they stopped emailing when i asked if they were based overseas........
jumpman33

Post by jumpman33 »

They replied with

my pick up agent will be coming to pick it up, I'll like you to send me your address so that my pick up agent can figure it out and come for the pick up and other necessary things....more so,send me your PayPal details(PayPal email) so i can make the payment. Thanks
Await your response.
Mary

and then

All that is required for me to have your money sent is just for you to get back to me with the email address and name that you linked with your paypal account. And the shipping company will be available to process/pick up the tittle during pick-up and after you must have received your money cash in hand. I can only feel secured sending my funds via paypal due to there various security measures at ensuring safe and secured transaction between buyer/seller. However, if you feel otherwise, I totally understand.

Regards
Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim »

I've seen plenty of these responses. Total scam. BEWARE.

T,
jumpman33

Post by jumpman33 »

Tiger Tim wrote:I've seen plenty of these responses. Total scam. BEWARE.

T,

Yeah two more identical emails today also.....
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

I believe the way the scam works is that they will "Accidently" paypal you more money than the asking price. Then they'll ask you to refund them the extra along with some story that causes you to return the money via non-reversible means (either paypal to another address or bank transfer etc). They may even offer to let you keep a small portion as a sweetener/thank you for being understanding

Shortly afterwards the original paypal transaction is reversed either because it was fraudulent or because the seller makes a dubious claim of some kind and you find yourself out of pocket for the "extra" money you returned with no way of getting it back.

Your car will never go anywhere or be at risk of being lost and is completely incidental to the whole scam.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:Image

Haha so much this ^^ :lol:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

kaiowas wrote:I believe the way the scam works is that they will "Accidently" paypal you more money than the asking price. Then they'll ask you to refund them the extra along with some story that causes you to return the money via non-reversible means (either paypal to another address or bank transfer etc). They may even offer to let you keep a small portion as a sweetener/thank you for being understanding

Shortly afterwards the original paypal transaction is reversed either because it was fraudulent or because the seller makes a dubious claim of some kind and you find yourself out of pocket for the "extra" money you returned with no way of getting it back.

Your car will never go anywhere or be at risk of being lost and is completely incidental to the whole scam.

Sometimes it's not even that complex - they simply send a fake PayPal email and hope you don't check it in too much detail
Picaro

Post by Picaro »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Sometimes it's not even that complex - they simply send a fake PayPal email and hope you don't check it in too much detail

Exactly that. Unfortunately, a lot of people will not bother to go directly to their paypal site via a saved link, and will only view the one supplied by the fraudulent buyer. I would always check it directly through my own link, and on top of that wait for it to clear through to my bank before releasing the item.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”