[Mk2] [Generic] how to change Window Mechanism?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Alex O

[Mk2] [Generic] how to change Window Mechanism?

Post by Alex O »

Hi,

My driver side window is broken. The motor and switch is fine, however, when I ask it to go down there is a lot of clicking and then the window just falls from fully up to fully down.

When I ask it to go back up there is again a lot of clicking but the window will not go back up unless I lift it. When the mechanism has stopped moving I can let go of the window and it will stay up (albeit not correctly positioned).

I'm fairly sure its the teeth of similar that are knackered.

I have a spare door (with a dent in it) with fully operational window and mechanism but I have not idea how to get the bits out between the inner and outer skin.

Can anyone help - I'm bored of getting wet!!

Thank you,
Alex
going4the1

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] how to change Window Mechanism?

Post by going4the1 »

The winder mechanism is best removed with power to the electrics. This enables the unit to be raised/lowered to give access to all of the bolts holding the glass in place. Some of the bolts will be behind self adhesive discs on the inner door skin. I think you may have to remove the mirror triangle to get the glass in/out.

Pay attention to the order of the various nylon bushes which secure the glass onto the mechanism.

Do not touch or adjust the front and rear runners.

Once the glass is removed the mechanism needs to be almost fully lowered otherwise you won't be able to get it out of the large hole beneath the arm-rest.

Be extremely careful with the wiring for the central locking switches.
Alex O

Post by Alex O »

Thank you, I shall give it a crack this weekend.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

You don't need to remove the glass.

Lower the window 3/4 down. remove sticky disc to gain access to one of 2 fittings to the window.

Then remove the 2 fittings half way up the door (towards the back) that hold the arms to the door.

Then remove the 4 bolts holding the motor to the door. Fold up mechanism and remove.

Easy. :thumleft:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Also, buy a new regulator from Toyota. They're only about £50, and I guarantee the one from the other door will have obvious signs of fatigue.
steveaddy

window stuck down

Post by steveaddy »

hi just read this thread very helpful.my window is stuck in fully down position now and realize I need to take it up a bit now to get other bolt out that secures mechanism.is they a way I can reverse it so I can get it to go up.

Return to “Mechanical”