Help, why us my front camber massively negative?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rob

Help, why us my front camber massively negative?

Post by Rob »

I've finally managed to fit some vintage Ohlins coilovers bought from a former member who broke his car 2 years ago.

They have cusco camber adjustable top mounts set to the usual mk2 full inboard position.

I'm trying to fit my new 17x8 et 35 wheels running 215 40 profile tyres with 3mm spacer and eibach camber bolts for some clearance to the spring perch.

However, the wheel rubs no matter how I turn the camber bolt. I've got the camber bolt washer behind the head of the bolt with the tab pointing outwards to give positive camber.

Despite this, putting my old wheels back on that have acres of clearance shows I have immense negative camber comic book style.

Any ideas?
jimGTS

Re: Help, why us my front camber massively negative?

Post by jimGTS »

Have you 'pulled out' the hub??

Try and pull the hub out as much as you can, namely wedge something between strut and hub mount and pull it out. This will put the camber wedge against the side.

This should help with the camber. It's at this position, rotating the bolt you'll now notice the camber changing.

Having literally done this today, that worked for me.
mr2matt

RCA's

Post by mr2matt »

Hi,
Just a thought, not sure if I'm thinking about this correctly. But if you've got the car lowered on coilovers, won't you need a RCA (Roll Centre Adjuster) kit to bring the geometry back to nearer standard and therefore less negative camber?
Rob

Re: Help, why us my front camber massively negative?

Post by Rob »

Cheers guys

Jim - absolutely right, I have only just read your reply but did exactly this last night and was surprised that it made a huge difference!

I put standard bolts back in to see what happened and combined with pulling the hub it made a big difference. If I put the camber bolts back in I should be able to dial out the negative a bit more.

Matt - got Tom's RCA's front and rear already mate. Can't say I noticed any difference in ride though.....

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”