Caliper refurbishing

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chambers360

Caliper refurbishing

Post by chambers360 »

Ok some its seems both of the rear calipers on my rev 3 tubby are seized, rather than go and pay for new calipers i was thinking of giving my ones a refurb, refurb kit is available from camskill for around £30

My question is, how tricky is this to do? And what is the best method for cleaning up the rusty calipers at home? Ive read placing them in white vinegar then wire brushing is a good way?
wenguin

Re: Caliper refurbishing

Post by wenguin »

I got mine blasted and power coated, bought the refurb kit and new piston. Seemed the most straightforward way.
richstany

Post by richstany »

I've just refurbed all 4 corners over winter. With regards cleaning up I have access to a shot blaster so used that and then painted with straight to rust hamerite paint. If you don't mind using a straight to rust paint like hamerite cleaning up with a wire wheel should do it - all depends how particular you are with finish. With regards the refurb kit is nice and easy to fit but I do recommended cleaning up the piston/replacing depending on condition.
There's plenty of good guides that can be found with a quick Google search but if you have any questions feel free to pm me
Alan_B

Post by Alan_B »

Try carfactorsuk on eBay. I got two new calipers for £135 delivered, plus £20 back for my old ones. 105 all in made me wonder if I could be bothered with DIY on my own.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

chambers360 wrote:Ok some its seems both of the rear calipers on my rev 3 tubby are seized, rather than go and pay for new calipers i was thinking of giving my ones a refurb, refurb kit is available from camskill for around £30

My question is, how tricky is this to do? And what is the best method for cleaning up the rusty calipers at home? Ive read placing them in white vinegar then wire brushing is a good way?

Get the Bigg Red kit. You'd be wise to get new pistons too, though if you get the kit with stainless steel pistons you'll need to cut open the old piston and transfer the internals. There's a thread on MR2OC on how to do this.
You'll save time / effort by buying the kit without the pistons and buying their complete pistons separately.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

BigRedd refurbed both my front calipers recently for £100. Not worth the aggro of doing it yourself IMO.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”