[Mk2] [Turbo] Frozen boost "600bhp" chargecooler kit. Any good?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kev8611

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Frozen boost "600bhp" chargecooler kit. Any good?

Post by kev8611 »

ashley wrote:
sheppy wrote:
kev8611 wrote:Hopefully it works fine..... I dont need an all singing all dancing thing thats proven to decimate all. Or do I have the funds, time or knowledge to spend researching the in's and out's of how it should work so it will have to do :thumleft:

well I have the exact same setup as you've just bought and is proven to do less than 40 degrees at 1.8 bar, so if anything your setup is now overkill :D

Good job!!

Charge temperature is dictated by more than boost pressure and the charge cooler...1.8bar on a GT28 will be a very different temperature to 1.8bar on a GT35.

Like most of these things- you need to look at the whole system altogether before making any judgements.

FWIW I can't see you going too far wrong with that set up Kev, although I would have used a different pre-rad myself...but I'm a fussy SOB :lol:

Haha yeah so we see on your build thread :mrgreen: looks awesome btw
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ashley wrote:
sheppy wrote:
kev8611 wrote:Hopefully it works fine..... I dont need an all singing all dancing thing thats proven to decimate all. Or do I have the funds, time or knowledge to spend researching the in's and out's of how it should work so it will have to do :thumleft:

well I have the exact same setup as you've just bought and is proven to do less than 40 degrees at 1.8 bar, so if anything your setup is now overkill :D

Good job!!

Charge temperature is dictated by more than boost pressure and the charge cooler...1.8bar on a GT28 will be a very different temperature to 1.8bar on a GT35.

Like most of these things- you need to look at the whole system altogether before making any judgements.

FWIW I can't see you going too far wrong with that set up Kev, although I would have used a different pre-rad myself...but I'm a fussy SOB :lol:

yeah it was a bit of a generalisation for ease of understanding Ash, You'd have used a car radiator according to previous posts!! :D :D

with regards to testing out the Cores, the GT4 would be at the bottom of that list I think, while it's good at what it does, the general consensus is that it can;t cope great with over 400bhp, again a bit of a generalisation.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Well- I may have considered a car rad by copying our German friend on here with the Candy Red MR2 - he used a mishimoto rad didn't he?

It was actually our discussion about the differences in pre-rads for charge coolers that's led me to do a "bit" of research on them...I'm pretty happy with my choice to stick with the Rad-tech unit now, they actually knew what they were doing when they designed it...makes a nice change!!

:lol: :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

ashley wrote:Well- I may have considered a car rad by copying our German friend on here with the Candy Red MR2 - he used a mishimoto rad didn't he?

It was actually our discussion about the differences in pre-rads for charge coolers that's led me to do a "bit" of research on them...I'm pretty happy with my choice to stick with the Rad-tech unit now, they actually knew what they were doing when they designed it...makes a nice change!!

:lol: :lol:

I had plans for car radiators as well, but then I had a PM conversation with Slipping Clutch, he really knows his stuff about chargecoolers!

Much the same with the AVT pre rad, you should feel the weight of the thing! twice the weight of a car radiator and waaay heavier than a GT4 Pre rad, I had both in my hands a week ago, the GT4 pre rad was all packed up ready for shipping too! Although the GT4 pre-rad is still meant to be better than any car radiator. :thumleft:
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

I was actually thinking sometime ago about using a car or bike radiator small enough to fit where the sidemount goes to keep everything in the back of the car...... until i read that same convo.... how mental was that? ](*,)

Nice pre rad up front makes more sense lol. Make the most of airflow. Gonna use my spal fan on the engine lid above my turbo and manifold to pull air out the engine bay..... hopefully
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Dunno what ecu you're running but with mine (link g4) you can have ot controlling all the fans (radiator, pre-rad, engine bay) and set what temperatures you want them to come on etc, i plan on some massive ones for the engine bay as well!
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

I have the dinosaur that is the power fc. Got datalogit n stuff too though and my wideband is now hooked up to it aswell. Starting to get the hang of using the software so slowly working my way through the logs. Got an issue just after coming on boost. Only seems to be in 4th from low down. 3rd is ok and car is fine through the gears. Air fuel seems ok.. maybe a bit rich and map tracer shows it seems to shift down the way pretty quickly. Hopefully the chargecooler fixes it as im putting it down to inlet temps and timing being pulled
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

i was just thinking inlet temps, the power fc should be able to control your fans etc though :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

kev8611 wrote: Hopefully the chargecooler fixes it as im putting it down to inlet temps and timing being pulled

What do the logs say? You have a datalogit, so hook up FC edit and collect a log :thumleft:
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

Marf wrote:
kev8611 wrote: Hopefully the chargecooler fixes it as im putting it down to inlet temps and timing being pulled

What do the logs say? You have a datalogit, so hook up FC edit and collect a log :thumleft:

Done a log in 3rd gear today. This is what I got in terms of A/F ratio, IMO the map is moving down to the bottom (high load) far too quickly. Running a little rich aswell.

Highest knock reading was 35 at 6000rpm

Basic PIM Volt was 4722 which is obviously where highest boost reading was (1.7bar @ 4400 rpm) This tailed off to 1.63 though at same time knock increased (6000rpm)

Max injector duty was 80% but it was only at 50% as soon as I came on full boost?

Air temp 25, water temp 82,

Glenn_k

Post by Glenn_k »

sheppy wrote:

I had plans for car radiators as well, but then I had a PM conversation with Slipping Clutch, he really knows his stuff about chargecoolers!

Much the same with the AVT pre rad, you should feel the weight of the thing! twice the weight of a car radiator and waaay heavier than a GT4 Pre rad, I had both in my hands a week ago, the GT4 pre rad was all packed up ready for shipping too! Although the GT4 pre-rad is still meant to be better than any car radiator. :thumleft:

How well does a gt4 pre rad actually hold up? Im currently using the gt4 pump and pre rad and a radtec core, but the pump was KIA this weekend. Thinking about replacing some stuff hut not sure if i should change the pre rad as well. Any thoughts? Btw im running a gen4 at 1.1 bar.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

apparently the GT4 pre-rad is way better than any radiator, it's very close to the size and shape of the PWR one I have albeit about quarter of the weight, The only real issue with the GT4 system (according to my research and folk I've spoke to) is the core itself, Best bet is to measure intake temps and see how you get on :thumleft:
Glenn_k

Post by Glenn_k »

Always the most reasonable way to find out ;).
Does anyone know how much l/h the gt4 pump does?

Return to “Modifications”