MR1- The Devildog project.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: MR1- The Devildog project.

Post by PW@Woodsport »

And behold it has a name, once they go into mass production it shall be known as the Devildog :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

The Devildog is nearing startup, lots of small stuff done, starting to look less nailed together everyday now.

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

No exhaust on it, so just open header right now, but couldn't resist a quick jury rig onto a battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMSnis7y6sM
2mad

Post by 2mad »

This is awesome paul .. looks a hoot .. one question , where you going to drive it .. moto cross track , farmers field , sand dunes lol ect

Looking forward to updates and vids of it in action :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Anywhere i can't get arrested is the answer, luckily our unit is on a huge old coalworks site, with large open spaces and plenty of off road hooning area.

Hey if it turns out half decent i'll buy a trailer and take it on trackdays, that would be really amusing seeing my scrapheap challenge car overtaking expensive stuff..... but back in reality that's not very likely :D
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Sounds good to me Paul ... vids please :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I'll see what i can do, for now not getting killed to death is a priority.

Ok check this out, a Mk1 dash binnacle grafted into the Devildog, tell me that doesn't look right at home there!

Made a lower dash panel, i say made, it's a flat steel plate with a hole in it for the starter/ignition panel "For race use only"...... yeah right!

It's beginning to dawn on me that this is actually starting to look quite good, i wish i'd done it properly now.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Looks great , just don't get killed to death driving it .
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

I'll post straight away if that happens.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

PW@Woodsport wrote:I'll post straight away if that happens.

Before that happens .. more updates please .... lovin this project :thumleft:
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

Not trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs but it looks like it needs a strut brace across the top of the rear shock mounts.

Alan
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yep, already made one for it Alan :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Well a bank holiday saw it completed, i still have cosmetics to do but it drives..... boy does it drive!

You may notice it doesn't have the original front wheels on it, that is because we've already had our first near death experience, i gave one of the lads in the unit next door a go who had never driven anything like this before let alone an Mr2..... yep he binned it big style, span out at 40mph and mounted some concrete blocks, it was quite spectacular, but he broke a wheel, wrecked the rad, bent a tie rod, folded the steering wheel over and ripped half the floor up, he suffered a broken finger for his trouble, the guy can't drive worth a damn.... so my fault for giving him a go in it.

The damage has all been repaired now and i'm reluctant to let anyone drive it but me, the thing is an animal, the wheelbase is way too short, it steps out of line at the hint of oversteer/too much throttle, the power to weight is really naughty, it doesn't feel like a 1600cc anymore, this thing goes better than some turbo Mr2s i've driven..... no joke.

I will grab some videos soon, too busy having a riot in the sunshine right now.

Tweaks needed....

1. Move the steering track rod ends closer to the centre of the hub, it needs less turns lock to lock, redrilling the steering arm and using a rosejoint instead of a track rod end is the answer there.

2. The brakes need improving, without a servo it's not adequate, remote servo is on the list. The fly off hydraulic brake is amazing and flicks the car round with ease at the slightest pull, makes me see how woeful the stock mechanical Mr2 handbrake really is.

3. Need to wire a rad fan up.

4. Fuel gauge is not calibrated properly, the Camry sender is out of whack with the Mr2 dash.

5. Change fuel pump to the 1zz type, the Camry one is massive overkill.

Some pics of the Devildog in the sun.

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Well Mr Wood came good and sent me a BGW, i wasted no time and rigged up a quick pair of outriggers and bolted it on, should get plenty of downfarce from it :)

We have a fuel surge issue, doing donuts in an anticlockwise direction is fine, going clockwise it cuts out, i already made a tank baffle but it isn't good enough, so the pump will be coming out to make something more suitable, then i'll shoot a video.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Looks amaze balls Paul ... I'd defiantly put it round a track for a laugh :thumleft: not many sand dunes in the uk :lol:

Ps. vids vids vids :D
JD

Post by JD »

:shock:

Another reminder of why I shouldn't neglect the Mk1 forum.
stenky

Post by stenky »

it did look stupid until you bolted that rear spoiler on. it did transform the looks of it by 365 degrees. reminds me of some kind of LEGO buggy
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Well it was never meant to be a looker Stenky, i've nailed it together in a matter of weeks from bits of scrap Mr2. :D

There wasn't even a build plan or mock up, it just happened.

My only inspiration was the Tamiya Hornet that i loved as a kid...

Now i have the full size thing to play with and it cost me the same to build as the RC version :D
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Well it was never meant to be a looker Stenky, i've nailed it together in a matter of weeks from bits of scrap Mr2. :D

There wasn't even a build plan or mock up, it just happened.

My only inspiration was the Tamiya Hornet that i loved as a kid...

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://rcmemories.files.wordpress.com/2 ... et0012.jpg

Now i have the full size thing to play with and it cost me the same to build as the RC version :D

Cool. I had one of these and been looking for ages for another.
stenky

Post by stenky »

i absolutely understand your concept of function over form, but despite your best efforts to make it as ugly as possible, it turned out pretty well :twisted:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”