cleaning the fuel tank

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dylan5084

cleaning the fuel tank

Post by dylan5084 »

I'm suspicious of a dirty fuel tank, is there a good fuel tank additive that works? I'll obviously be putting a new fuel filter on afterwards... Any tips?
bobhatton

Re: cleaning the fuel tank

Post by bobhatton »

dylan5084 wrote:I'm suspicious of a dirty fuel tank, is there a good fuel tank additive that works? I'll obviously be putting a new fuel filter on afterwards... Any tips?

Remove fuel tank and clean out.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

Was hoping to avoid that... How big a job is it?
rgb

Post by rgb »

theres a drain plug on the bottom of the tank ,you don't need to take the tank off.
ashley

Post by ashley »

rgb wrote:theres a drain plug on the bottom of the tank ,you don't need to take the tank off.

Not on the later revision, just Rev1 from what I recall...plus once you pull it out you destroy the plug and need a replacement don't you?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

ashley wrote:
rgb wrote:theres a drain plug on the bottom of the tank ,you don't need to take the tank off.

Not on the later revision, just Rev1 from what I recall...plus once you pull it out you destroy the plug and need a replacement don't you?

definitely no drain plug on my Rev 3. and having removed and refitted a tank before it's not something I'd want to do again in a hurry, not on axle stands at least.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Strangely rob i did mine about 6 weeks ago on stands and didn't find it a bad job, admittedly a spare pair of hands was useful when refitting.

Definitely make sure it's as empty as possible before removal
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

thomp1983 wrote:Strangely rob i did mine about 6 weeks ago on stands and didn't find it a bad job, admittedly a spare pair of hands was useful when refitting.

Definitely make sure it's as empty as possible before removal

I did mine alone, it was about 5 degrees outside and it was half full of fuel when I dropped it out :roll: it took about 7 hours start to finish, that was changing the fuel pump for a 255lph too. if I was to do it again I think it'd take a lot less time.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

It's very unlikely that you actually have "dirt" in your fuel tank. When I restored my Mini years back, I took the tank out and at the time it was about 20 years old. Absolutely spotless inside, not a trace of any contamination.

Also, you have a fuel filter to protect the injectors against any "dirt".
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Sadly that's not true, woodsport recently replaced a mk1 fuel tank that had corroded internally and took a walbro out with it and my mk2 is showing some signs of internal corrosion albeit not flaking off yet
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

I reckon a lot of it comes down to if car is regularly filled to the top for the majority of its life.
I bet the cars who just get a tenner a week and very rarely are filled to the top are the tanks that corode.

I bet if tanks full most of the time the fuel will help prevent rot.

That could be a load of rot i just talked about though. :lol:
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

It's not so much the fuel stops the tank rotting but the lack of airspace, when there's a big airspace the air condenses and the moisture causes the rust, obviously there's always some airspace to allow for fuel expansion.
dylan5084

Post by dylan5084 »

I usually fill it to the top but the car has Sat with it on the reserve for the winter, I'm going to throw a additive in to it and change the filter, was out for a drive yesterday Woo I love that car \:D/
StevenstonWullie

Post by StevenstonWullie »

forte gas treatment added to a full tank deffo works

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”