Updating 20 year old suspension - on the cheap

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

wenguin

Re: Updating 20 year old suspension - on the cheap

Post by wenguin »

acf8181 wrote:On the cheap.....depends on your definition of cheap

Can't see point in replacing with second hand stuff if you want it to feel refreshed!

If it were me i'd go for the new toyota dampers option, esp at £65 a corner! (surprised they're that cheap).

May be worth having a few quid spare for new top mounts and damper dust covers in case they're shot when you remove old stuff.

Oh, and don't forget about getting full allignment done afterwards.

pretty much this - what about drop links and the other bits and bobs around there - worth replacing?

also, is there anything that can be polybushed around there? figure if I have everything off and apart I might as well do that too!

and yes, the cheapness of OEM KYB struts does make them especially appealing. £312~ inc vat vs £500-600 for bilsteins, I don't think I'd be getting almost twice the 'effect', be it comfort or sportiness.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

wenguin wrote:the cheapness of OEM KYB struts does make them especially appealing. £312~ inc vat vs £500-600 for bilsteins

See that sounds right to me , price wise 8-[
uglee

Post by uglee »

Are you wanting struts or inserts?

KYB as far as I know only make the inserts not entire struts. TCB parts do genuine Toyota struts for £55-60+VAT, cannot really argue with that.

I'd wager once you get your suspension apart you'll find the top strut plates and front mounts totally shot too. So if the suspension has never been apart in that time (and in that time and mileage that would be almost unheard of) then factor in you will probably come across other areas of the suspension needing attention.
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

wenguin wrote:what about drop links and the other bits and bobs around there - worth replacing?

oh yea, quite probable they may be siezed on, and thus may have to be grinded off
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:4 standard struts from Toyota will make a world of difference. About £65 each IIRC.

The fronts are about that price. The rears are almost double that price when I got them the other year.
wenguin

Post by wenguin »

rev3gtturbo wrote:
Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:4 standard struts from Toyota will make a world of difference. About £65 each IIRC.

The fronts are about that price. The rears are almost double that price when I got them the other year.

£63 and £68 + vat, heard back from Toyota.

Did you replace with the standard N/A struts like I plan to? How did you find the change from the old ones to the new replacements?
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

The prices I suggested were for each Toyota standard shock for my rev3 turbo and included VAT. I didn't give actual prices paid as I get mates rate discount.

As for what difference new Toyota struts will make, see the earlier posts from Peter Gidden and myself.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”