Brake upgrade

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

archangel

Brake upgrade

Post by archangel »

Hi guys,

Am looking at some upgrades for my brakes as they feel really soft and crappy and I don't have a lot of confidence in them. Will be getting some braided lines regardless so may just make that the only change, but also have some s14 front callipers, supra front disks, and rx8 rear discs that I'm considering putting on.
Is anyone familiar with this conversion and what else I would need to change? Also does it screw up the front/rear bias a bit too much?
The S14 callipers have adaptor blocks with them to fit to the MR2.
Will I need to get additional adaptors to fit the brake lines, make any other mods to fit the disks, etc?
I have 17" Azev A alloy wheels so should have enough space for the larger disks.

May just look at upgrading to a later rev's brake system instead if this isn't recommended.
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.
Nic

Re: Brake upgrade

Post by Nic »

What discs and pads do you have fitted? When were the calipers last overhauled?

I'm using freshly overhauled stock brake calipers, OEM Toyota discs and pads, braided lines, Motul RBF600 fluid and a Cusco brake master cylinder stopper. The brake pedal feel is very firm and it doesn't take a lot of effort to lock all 4 wheels.

If your calipers/discs/pads are in good order, fitting braided lines and a master cylinder stopper should make a big difference to the pedal feel.
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

you need a bracket for the stock rear caliper to space it out over the RX8 disc (front RX8 sport 323mm disc) and a centering spacer for the mazda disc on the hub (kinda like a spigot ring you'd use for alloys). Stock brake lines or Stainless aftermarket lines will fit nicely. The S14 caliper pistons are slightly bigger than the front OEM's so bias is moved slightly further forward but no one I've heard off has spun off the road and died as a result of this change.

Check the offset and spoke setup of your wheels as the S14 calipers are wider than the OEM so may interfere. I have Porsche 996 front calipers and they're massively wide compared to stock.

* note - you need the later rev2+ rear caliper to clear the mazda disk
** note - everyone will tell you the stock brakes cleaned up are the best in the world and do not ever need upgrading
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm swaying towards upgrading to rev3+ brakes. Are the rev3+ calipers all different as well as discs? Or is it just worth me upgrading discs and making sure my calipers are working nicely rather than upgrade the calipers too?
Rev1 Tubby, Garrett GT3071R, Motec M4 EMS, 880cc delphis, Rev3 turbo port polished built head/cams/titanium retainers, shim under buckets, HD springs, etc., rear bumper mounted intercooler, and vanilla air freshener.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

rev2+ brakes are all the same, turbo and N/A. Rev1 are the smaller diameter and narrower discs. You have almost all the parts so why not just upgrade :) .
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Braided lines, 5.1 fluid, yellow stuff or carbotech pads and stock discs.. This is all you car needs.. I run this on track and they never fade. Magic beans tun this on his 450hp Mr through the pyramese spanking it downhill and never had any fade...
2mad

Post by 2mad »

For the street just fit carbotech xp6's .. its mind blowing how good they are :thumleft: .. I could out brake like never before :D .. it was ridiculous how late i braked :mrgreen:

Ps. rev3 calipers all round + ebay drilled and slotted rotors .

Got yellow stuff on my st205 there junk [-( should add for the street they might come alive on the track 8-[
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

2mad wrote:For the street just fit carbotech xp6's .. its mind blowing how good they are :thumleft: .. I could out brake like never before :D .. it was ridiculous how late i braked :mrgreen:

Got yellow stuff on my st205 there junk [-( should add for the street they might come alive on the track 8-[

Anything made by EBC is crap, disks and their pads,
just use stock disks and Porterfied pads
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Each to their own.. Yellow stuff worked perfect for my year of sprinting
pandb2

Post by pandb2 »

Wilwood big brakes for the front any use?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

2mad wrote:For the street just fit carbotech xp6's .. its mind blowing how good they are :thumleft: .. I could out brake like never before :D .. it was ridiculous how late i braked :mrgreen:

+1
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

I have ebc pads. Brembo Hc's and 5.1 fluid on my rev 3

Work great.... I have used ebc pads on most my cars in the last 5 or 6 years
shad

Post by shad »

2mad wrote:For the street just fit carbotech xp6's

XP6? Did you mean AX6 or was it XP8. Can't find anything about XP6.
ikarl

Post by ikarl »

All brake calipers just refurbed by biggred, new standard discs, ebc redstuff pads, braided lines and super racing blue fluid.

Amazing the difference getting it all upto scratch. The brake bite/feel is excellent.
QUOC2008

Post by QUOC2008 »

Use Ebc stuff if you want to die... nothing beats carbotech go for ax6 for streets and track and xp8 track only
MR2 REV 3 TURBO 450BHP
3000GT VR4 TT 500BHP
EVO X FQ360
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

also to note, carbotec pads are what 150quid an axle ?? Isn't the dust produced from these pads pretty corrosive too?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

shad wrote:
2mad wrote:For the street just fit carbotech xp6's

XP6? Did you mean AX6 or was it XP8. Can't find anything about XP6.

Must have been ax6 (my memorys terrible sorry) got them from the us nice and cheap compered to the uk .

Kev.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

QUOC2008 wrote:Use Ebc stuff if you want to die... nothing beats carbotech go for ax6 for streets and track and xp8 track only

hmm if you reakon.. i and several others have no problem with EBC.. and mine are used hard...
i agree that carbotechs are probably better, but EBC have worked well for me so far
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

raptor95GTS wrote:also to note, carbotec pads are what 150quid an axle ?? Isn't the dust produced from these pads pretty corrosive too?

Yes, that is why Porterfield pads are the best to use
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
2mad

Post by 2mad »

raptor95GTS wrote:also to note, carbotec pads are what 150quid an axle ?? Isn't the dust produced from these pads pretty corrosive too?

Yes dust is a nightmare :( worth it though :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”