[Mk2] [NA] Which braided brake hoses ?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR22

[Mk2] [NA] Which braided brake hoses ?

Post by MR22 »

Some advice on braided brake hoses for my Mk2 would be appreciated.

Racetec, Wezmoto, Goodridge and Hel offer them from £50 - £80. I would be pleased to read about your experience and recommendations of them.

Cheers :D
markstevieandmads

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Which braided brake hoses ?

Post by markstevieandmads »

You wont get goodridge for £80. Cheapest I found were about £117.

I did find one seller selling Goodridge on ebay for £75. I emailed him to check they were genuine and he said yes but im still not sure as I havent found them that cheap anywhere else.

Cheapest i found for a standard set of braided hoses and washers were £55. These were a make i never heard of.

HEL are around £70. However all but the goodridge ones you will need a P clip to secure apparently.

Im looking of going braided but got to save up as want to do a flush and carbotech pads upgrade at the same time.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

HEL good quality as they use Stainless for fittings and braiding but lacking the bracket for the rear lines (as said above)
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

The Goodridge ones at ~£120 don't come with stainless steel fittings either - they are zinc plated.

Im going for HEL lines and making my own bracket. They are good quality, and if they are good enough for the BTCC and WSBK they are certainly good enough for me!
Nic

Post by Nic »

I'm using Rogue brake lines, the rear ones include the MR2 specific brackets.

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/forms/Product.aspx?ID=495
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
finest71

Mk2] [NA] Which braided brake hoses ?

Post by finest71 »

Many moons ago I sent my standard hoses to 'earls' that where based at a racing circuit(think it was donnington).Anyway they did a great job reused the standard bracket on the rears very pleased.Earls was the company that provided the lines for the 'Greddy' kit(the expensive one now discontinued).
craig

Post by craig »

Goodridge. Why p1$$ about making up brackets when the goodridge kit comes as a full kit.

Plus the fact, they are much better quality than the HEL lines. Each to their own though.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

RedMR² wrote:Goodridge. Why p1$$ about making up brackets when the goodridge kit comes as a full kit.

Plus the fact, they are much better quality than the HEL lines. Each to their own though.

other than the brackets, which is a known "issue" what makes the goodridge lines much better quality?
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
ps2159

Post by ps2159 »

Not sure about the lines themselves being any better but Bob Hatton provided me Goodridge lines with stainless steel fittings (normally come with zinc plated) so corrosion less of a worry. :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Goodridge. Why p1$$ about making up brackets when the goodridge kit comes as a full kit.

other than the brackets, which is a known "issue" what makes the goodridge lines much better quality?

Better fittings. Well established manufacturer and market leaders in fluid transfer.

My priority is quality. Not price.
Nails

Post by Nails »

I wouldn't say goodridge are the bees knees like red. The searching google for failed or corroded lines and goodridge being testy about replacing them.

I've just bought a set of goodridge as I know I'll have enough chew getting the old flexis have nevermind having to mess around making brackets aswell.
finest71

Post by finest71 »

Yeah each til their own!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Nails wrote:I wouldn't say goodridge are the bees knees like red. The searching google for failed or corroded lines and goodridge being testy about replacing them.

I've just bought a set of goodridge as I know I'll have enough chew getting the old flexis have nevermind having to mess around making brackets aswell.

Agreed, HEL fittings are stainless as std which are better, they're used by plenty of proper motorsport teams so aren't a fly by night company. I'm yet to see any actual testing to say goodridge are better in terms of material quality, longevity, burst pressure etc.

It's absolutely a matter of personal preference, I've used both before on a variety of cars (my MR2 actually uses japanese APP hoses) and been thoroughly satisfied. For the sake of a 20p 'p' clip the cheaper option shouldn't be discounted or "bashed" as being crap.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Ive just bought some Matt Lewis Racing braided hoses off the MLR website (cheaper than ebay). Heard good things off the net for these.
£52 delivered. Literally next day delivery too so great service.

Gonna fit them soon so will update as these are the cheapest braided lines i could find new.
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

HEL are highly rated on bikes and brakes are the single most important thing on two wheels. My bro runs HEL no problems. I ran then on my type r with no problems and found them very good.

The advantage on the two is Goodridge hoses have the oem clips etc making it more suitable but as long as the hoses are stainless and you can secure them properly then go for either really as both will be good at what they do. If price is similar then I would choose Goodridge for ease.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

If some are planning to buy HEL brake hoses from ebay, me at MR2 Performance can do them for 95eur (~70gbp) delivered. Any color you want :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

gnzyza wrote:HEL are highly rated on bikes and brakes are the single most important thing on two wheels. My bro runs HEL no problems. I ran then on my type r with no problems and found them very good.

The advantage on the two is Goodridge hoses have the oem clips etc making it more suitable but as long as the hoses are stainless and you can secure them properly then go for either really as both will be good at what they do. If price is similar then I would choose Goodridge for ease.

They are fine on an MR2 as well. At £70 from Camskill (or GreddyMR2 above) with full stainless steel fittings they are good value for money and decent quality.

If you want to learn a bit more about the company: http://www.helperformance.com/history.html

As you can see, they are not a fly by night company.

Return to “Modifications”